Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of Hand Quilting Frames do you have?

Blog Entries
    take a photo of it please, maybe hubby can get me one set up!

we have extra saw horses, hummm, will have to find room in house for them

Quote Originally Posted by Pam in WV
    I use a "home made" floor frame. Saw horse brackets and 2x4's. Has worked great for about 30 years now.

Blog Entries
    that is cool, how does the quilt tighten up on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty1
    I was gifted with this FAN DESIGN QUILTING FRAME HAND QUILT when I got into quilting a couple years ago. Here's the ebay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/FAN-DESIGN-QUILT...item20b13a7c55

Still have it and still have a quilt on it just waiting to be finished :)

Blog Entries
    awesome ideas, thanks everyone and please others post so we can see what you use for more ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    I use a Jasmine (hoop on a stand), the Easy Spinner with a hoop of 18". Love it!
    I have this one also, and I love it. I also have a lap stand hoop, I think the brand is Gruber, I love it also, it is easy to take with me, if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I have an HInterburg "Cadillac" Frame, and it goes up to a king size. I have had it 12 years now. and I love sitting at it and quilting. 3 can sit and quilt together.
    Is your quilt top tacked directly to the frame in the last picture? Or is it attached to the leader? Which way do you do it most often?

I have an Ulmer Frame! Just got it...love it so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty1
    I was gifted with this FAN DESIGN QUILTING FRAME HAND QUILT when I got into quilting a couple years ago. Here's the ebay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/FAN-DESIGN-QUILT...item20b13a7c55

Still have it and still have a quilt on it just waiting to be finished :)
    I have seen this fan frame before, and thought it so interesting. I especially like that the quilt could be taken down and rolled for storage if needed. Bet you are enjoying it!

My hoop does not have a brand name on it, but it is about 14 inches across, thick plastic, and has a wing nut to tighten. My floor frame is white plastic pipe that snaps together, has legs that adjust to 4 different heights, and is made by Dritz. Jim got it for me with a 40 percent coupon., (she says with a smile).

My quilt frame is also homemade. It's like the ones the Amish use for their big quilting bees, but you have to have space to use this one. (I designed our house so the great room has a flex space that's available to quilt in when needed.) I have "sticks" of various lengths that are about 3 in. wide and 3/4 in. thick to fit the different quilt sizes. They have strips of fabric nailed onto them to pin the lining to. They are held in place by C-clamps at each corner. There is a stand at each corner to support it at the right height to sit up to. You start with the sticks clamped into a rectangle shape to fit the size of the lining and pin the lining in all around, stretched tight and then you lay the batting and the top on, centering them. Pin around the edges to hold in place and start quilting. Two opposite sides are rolled in as quilting progresses. It takes up a lot of space to have the whole quilt spread out to start with, but it makes it so easy to keep everything smooth and unwrinkled. I think it's the simplest one to use. No basting and no rolling in layers separately. I found a picture of my sisters, my mother and I quilting on mine. Not sure if you can see much of the frame or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaT
    My quilt frame is also homemade. It's like the ones the Amish use for their big quilting bees, but you have to have space to use this one. (I designed our house so the great room has a flex space that's available to quilt in when needed.) I have "sticks" of various lengths that are about 3 in. wide and 3/4 in. thick to fit the different quilt sizes. They have strips of fabric nailed onto them to pin the lining to. They are held in place by C-clamps at each corner. There is a stand at each corner to support it at the right height to sit up to. You start with the sticks clamped into a rectangle shape to fit the size of the lining and pin the lining in all around, stretched tight and then you lay the batting and the top on, centering them. Pin around the edges to hold in place and start quilting. Two opposite sides are rolled in as quilting progresses. It takes up a lot of space to have the whole quilt spread out to start with, but it makes it so easy to keep everything smooth and unwrinkled. I think it's the simplest one to use. No basting and no rolling in layers separately. I found a picture of my sisters, my mother and I quilting on mine. Not sure if you can see much of the frame or not.
    MarthaT,
    Is your mother Mennonite?

I use a 18" Round hardwwod hoop that DH gave me for my Birthday about 29 yrs. ago

When I first started to learn to quilt only about 5 years ago, my husbad was so thrilled that he went online and found out about the Grace quilting frame and had me order one. It was several hundred dollars, but if he was willing - hey, why not!! I have done lap quilts and did one king sized one on it. I have the Z-44 model and have it set up underneath my dining room double window. It folds back, so if we have company and need the dining room, he just folds it and it goes against the wall to a space 18" wide. It takes some figuring to put it together, but a phone call to the Grace Co. helps as they are willing to help out in any way they can. It just makes it so easy to work on. I can only quilt by doing one stitch at a time (really sewing) but it does get done and my stitches are pretty even. The Grace Company has a website GraceCompany.com.

I have the Q-snap floor frame w/leg extensions and I love it! It has a large work area and I can easily take it apart & put back in it's box when not in use. I also have 2 hand held Q-snaps, one is a large Rectangle and the other is a smaller square. I just love the way I can take them all apart for storage! :)

I have a Hinterburg 3 pole also. I have the floor snap in the quilt frame that is good for prebasted quilts and saw horse my father had my grandfather make for me that my sister delivered from Minn. for him. It is special to my heart. I quilted on it for years before I got the hinterburg fron my mother. I quilt for other people and needed a new frame.So mom surprised with a frame. I was seriously excited when that arrived unexpected. So that's my quilt frame story.

Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    I have an HInterburg "Cadillac" Frame, and it goes up to a king size. I have had it 12 years now. and I love sitting at it and quilting. 3 can sit and quilt together.
    Is your quilt top tacked directly to the frame in the last picture? Or is it attached to the leader? Which way do you do it most often?
    It is pinned to the material.
    Here is a tutorial I did on putting a quilt in the frame. I can put one in by myself in 30 minutes, and it only takes seconds to turn it.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35888-1.htm

i also have one(ulmer)

I have a large Hinterburg hoop on a stand, but I usually use a 2" thick 12" hoop that I just hold. I am lazy by the time I am hand quilting. It's usually 9 pm and I'm kicked back in the recliner, so the small hoop works best for me.
    p.s.- I machine quilt other people's quilts all day for a living. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    It is pinned to the material.
    Here is a tutorial I did on putting a quilt in the frame. I can put one in by myself in 30 minutes, and it only takes seconds to turn it.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35888-1.htm
    Thanks for that tutorial! Unfortunately it looks overwhelming to learn how to put a quilt in my new frame. :shock:

But we will find out in a couple weeks after I get the room painted and DH gets the frame put together! LOL

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I also use an Ulmer Quilt Frqme and just love it.

Blog Entries
    I have one of the old PVC frames that are portable. I use to have a large floor frame but it was so restrictive, you had to stay in one room to quilt. I sold it when we down sized to a smaller house. I generally do my larger quilts in sections and I can take the portable frame in the car on trips or to different chairs in the house. I've seen the larger ones at Joanns but haven't seen the smaller ones in a while. I also had a hoop but it took longer to change positions, with this one I just unsnap the bars and move it. Often, I only have three sides snapped because it gives me more play and it's great for getting close to the edges of the quilt.
    There are lots of people on this site that don't use frames at all and they do super work. I've been working on not using one but haven't mastered it yet.

Fox
    I have a square plastic hoop on a stand, that rotates, by Grace Co.. I stained the wood a dark oak color because the blonde wood just didn't feel right, and I wanted it to look more antique. I like it, except that it "squeels" when I move the hoop, or moves by itself under the weight of a king size quilt. That screech has even wakened me at night...I thought someone was breaking into my house!

I've got a Grace square/pivoty one that I don't think is made anymore. My mom got it for me when Hancock's discontinued that model.
    I love it:) I can do any size quilt, It doesn't take up too much room and keeps my feet warm while quilting,lol.
    But I am about to be seduced away by machine quilting, I think....
    The idea of getting a complete quilt done in a day is too tempting. I've got a lot of tops that need to be done and I try to limit large size quilts to cold weather when hand quilting and I'm ssssslllllllooooooowwwwwww at HQ-ing.....

Sabrina

Quote Originally Posted by JCL in FL
    I have one of the old PVC frames that are portable. I use to have a large floor frame but it was so restrictive, you had to stay in one room to quilt. I sold it when we down sized to a smaller house. I generally do my larger quilts in sections and I can take the portable frame in the car on trips or to different chairs in the house. I've seen the larger ones at Joanns but haven't seen the smaller ones in a while. I also had a hoop but it took longer to change positions, with this one I just unsnap the bars and move it. Often, I only have three sides snapped because it gives me more play and it's great for getting close to the edges of the quilt.
    There are lots of people on this site that don't use frames at all and they do super work. I've been working on not using one but haven't mastered it yet.
    I have a 17" pvc hoop that I take on trips with me. I can't seem to quilt in the car, but do love to quilt in the evenings on trips. I found mine just a couple years ago at a quilt shop in FL while on a vacation! :-D

what do u plan on doing with the frame-my oholiab goup quilts but we have to do a quilt as u go-we would love to have a frame

Blog Entries
    I have an old style oval wood hoop that sits on a stand with two legs down and cross feet and cross bar I can move around with my feet. I got it at a garage sale many years ago and I don't think it has a name. the hoop tilts. I just have to keep tightening the wing nuts every so often. guess I should see whats new out there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast