Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What type of Hand Quilting Frames do you have?

Blog Entries
    Is a Jasmine a polite name for a'Fanny frame' which I have and use for small pieces. I also have a rectangle 2foot by 1foot on a made stand(no name as it was adapted and I purchased from a charity shop. Also the plastic square frame which I use on the move as it will break up into 8sections and go into a knitting bag.

I ned a frame/hoop to baste it in-then I don't need one. the basting spray is good enough for small quilts or smaller items

Gal
    My hoop is a 16 inch x 1 1/4 inch made by J H Bonwick & Co from Emu Plains in Australia. It is plastic on the outside hoop with a wing nut to tighten and the inside hoop is made of wood. Very simple very light, easy to use and I love it!
    I curl up in a chair and quilt while sitting in front of the telly with hubby!

Gal

Ninnie - I have the Hinterberg Ezy Build, I live in Australia and could not find anything here. I have been rolling mine on from the back first, however your tutorial was wonderful, and I have bookmarked it for next time. It is hard to know exactly how to roll the quilt on because I am the only person I know amongst the quilters I mix with who even hand quilts let alone has a floor frame. I am very slow as am a stab stitcher, however now have arthritis in my middle right finger so even that is becoming hard to do without my finger going stiff and refusing to close properly. I love hand quilting and would hate to have to stop. So once again a BIG THANKYOU Ninnie for those wonderful photos and explanations. :)

Oh - forgot to add - we had to import the Hinterberg and have the rods made up from aluminium here. I had tried to buy a Grace however postage of the rods was enormous to here so ended up buying the Hinterberg because it could be posted at a reasonable price and we could put it together.

Blog Entries
    I have an oval one that my mom gave me. Whish it was a little bigger but it works.

I also have the hoops and the q-snap frame....but currently looking at the Grace EZ3- it seems affordable and I agree that the snap frame has to be moved too much. I want more space to work with and didn't like the tension not staying tight enough for me. Thanks for the post - gives me options to look at.

Greetings mate! I see we have another stitch stabber so I am not alone in doing quilting that way. It may take longer, but my stitches are pretty even so I am not embarassed by them (I would never put any quilt in a show, that's for sure!) but the family doesn't care and they love them. I cannot quilt the normal way because I too have arthritis and it is now in the thumb so I have to deal with that plus carpel tunnel but it can be fixed. I means 4 weeks in a cast and hubby has to do the cooking!!!!!!!!! One fringe benefit anyway (Maybe now he will be able to find things in the kitchen). Good luck and great to talk to someone from down under.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    that is cool, how does the quilt tighten up on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty1
    I was gifted with this FAN DESIGN QUILTING FRAME HAND QUILT when I got into quilting a couple years ago. Here's the ebay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/FAN-DESIGN-QUILT...item20b13a7c55

Still have it and still have a quilt on it just waiting to be finished :)
    Roll until tight and insert rail in slots.

Hi Late Bloomer - I have ordered a thimble that has a handle on it and am waiting for it to arrive today and maybe that will help - never can get the hang of quilting with my right hand alone. It is an arthritis aid so here's hoping! Makes me mad that I discovered quilting when all the bits of me had worn out:( I was a potter and twenty five years on a potter's wheel did a lot of damage to my bits and pieces. I love the Zen of hand quilting and would hate to give it up. When I looked for a floor frame there was only one you could buy her in Oz and it was not what I wanted. I do see that a shop in Brisbane now carries the Grace frame. They did not when I bought my Hinterberg about four years ago. I do have a couple of hoop floor quilting frames too. I have been fascinated to see some of the frames in this thread.

Good luck with the thimble. I used to do tole painting - folk art kind of stuff - and love both painting and quilting. I don't know what I would do if my hands gave out on me. I so enjoy both activities, but I think that once my right hand get repaired, it will all be much better. I had the left hand done last year and after they pinned the thumb in a few places, it all worked almost as good as before. The wonders of modern science never cease to amaze me and I thank God for it every day. I wish you luck with checking out the Grace frame - methinks you will find it very helpful, especially when you can put it away in a small area, even with a quilt on it. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I have an Hinterberg with the 3 rolls now.
    I really like it.
    I purchased it (nevr used) on Craigslist
    with all the extra parts for $75.00.
    Before that a cheap round on a stand &
    a full size quilt frame that wobbled.
    The cat loved it, she thought it was a hammock.

Blog Entries
    When I started quilting in Vanuatu, I couldn't get my hands on any frames, so I borrowed someone's simple wood 14" hoop. My DH and son decided to make me a floor frame from a photo of one they saw for my birthday. It was so special and I used it for several bed size quilts. I still had to baste, and sew the sandwich on muslin pieces stapled to the roll bars. It took help and a while to get a quilt set up, and it wasn't really portable, but I still loved it, and still have it (though I haven't used it for years). I then bought various sizes of hoops and a large oval hoop at Joann's on a trip back to the States (which I don't like), and the last one was the Grace stand with a 21" square hoop. It was a bit more portable, but like FOX, it squeaked as the hoop pivoted and tilted, and because of the pole which you can attach the light to being so high, a large quilt doesn't drape over smoothly as I turn and tilt the hoop, which is frequently because I must be weird, but I seem to only be able to quilt in one direction-from top to bottom, not bottom to top or sideways! I now mostly stick to my 14" x 3/4" plastic hoop on my lap, though I wish it were at least 18-20"!

Blog Entries
    Further, I found the wood part that holds the square hoop to the pivoting ball on my Grace splintered and I would find small bits of wood broken off. I always thought it needed to be greased or oiled, but being raw wood it would probably soak in if it didn't ruin my quilts first! I am looking for a good floor frame now that I live in the States again that I DO NOT have to baste first, and being the most UN-mechanical person alive, simple to use. Is there one that will allow me to not have to quilt sideways?????

Blog Entries
    My very 1st frame I made myself out of two saw horses and 2 x 4's. It was bulky but worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    I have an old style oval wood hoop that sits on a stand with two legs down and cross feet and cross bar I can move around with my feet. I got it at a garage sale many years ago and I don't think it has a name. the hoop tilts. I just have to keep tightening the wing nuts every so often. guess I should see whats new out there.
    I got one of those for $5 at a yard sale! It needed a small repair job but I do like it. I haven't used it for a while cause the cats think it is a hammock and loosen my tension on my quilt. I have a large oval hoop also. Again, cats and tension. Their weight loosens the top oval or pop it off altogether. I got a plastic frame from a quilting quild auction with some other stuff. It is four bar that adjust to the size you want it and has small plastic pieces that hold the quilt in place. It takes a bit more to adjust your quilt than the wooden hoops but it is "cat proof"!! LOL Why is it that those little buggers ignore you all day but pick up the quilt and they are on your lap and must be on the part of the quilt you are working on??

I have a handmade floor frame my hubby made for me and 5 hoop frames; 2 ovals and 3 round ones. bought them at Hobby Lobby.

I use to have one like the q snap frame and just sold it a few weeks ago. I only machine quilt now, much faster and hurts my hands less.

I have one similar to aorlflood.. Is is a small square like the first pic., and made out of PVC pipe by a lady in Missouri. Bought it on e-bay, can't find her site any more.

Power Poster
    I make my own quilting frames that have a base on the bottom and wood on the sides so it sits on your lap as you quilt. I also make a traveling one where the frame folds onto itself and opens up when I want to use it.

Blog Entries
    Instead of a thimble i put those small plastic patches on the strategic finger points. they are very good until I find myself washing the dishes or cooking with them still on. Some people use a spoon, how I have no idea.

Blog Entries
    I have the old timey ones that hang from the ceiling.

I have the Q-Snap floor frame, which now I use only to baste - I can not get use to using the floor frames since I can not quilt in all directions - I have 3 Q-snap hoops/frames that I use to use, a 18" oval with floor stand that I use to use. Now I have a portable lap frame that Jane Brown (not sure of name) sells (she is the one that uses the Aunt Becky, which I still can not get the hang of). But I really like this frame - it also on "Edmunds" written on the hoop. I like this as I am able to sit any where and quilt - finally got the hang of it where I have the quilt loose in the hoop - not real loose but not tight either anymore.

I have not been successful in using a hoop. My stitches turn out really big. I basted it together and pin the part that I'm working on. My stitches seem to look better and the only puckering is from the actual quilting.

Fox
    Dottymo! Is the FBI after you? You're in an interesting get-up!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast