Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of Hand Quilting Frames do you have? >

What type of Hand Quilting Frames do you have?

What type of Hand Quilting Frames do you have?

Old 06-26-2010, 01:53 PM

i also have one(ulmer)
Old 06-26-2010, 02:28 PM

I have a large Hinterburg hoop on a stand, but I usually use a 2" thick 12" hoop that I just hold. I am lazy by the time I am hand quilting. It's usually 9 pm and I'm kicked back in the recliner, so the small hoop works best for me.
p.s.- I machine quilt other people's quilts all day for a living. LOL!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
Originally Posted by aorlflood
Originally Posted by Ninnie
I have an HInterburg "Cadillac" Frame, and it goes up to a king size. I have had it 12 years now. and I love sitting at it and quilting. 3 can sit and quilt together.
Is your quilt top tacked directly to the frame in the last picture? Or is it attached to the leader? Which way do you do it most often?
It is pinned to the material.
Here is a tutorial I did on putting a quilt in the frame. I can put one in by myself in 30 minutes, and it only takes seconds to turn it.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35888-1.htm
Thanks for that tutorial! Unfortunately it looks overwhelming to learn how to put a quilt in my new frame. :shock:

But we will find out in a couple weeks after I get the room painted and DH gets the frame put together! LOL

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:02 PM

I also use an Ulmer Quilt Frqme and just love it.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 PM

I have one of the old PVC frames that are portable. I use to have a large floor frame but it was so restrictive, you had to stay in one room to quilt. I sold it when we down sized to a smaller house. I generally do my larger quilts in sections and I can take the portable frame in the car on trips or to different chairs in the house. I've seen the larger ones at Joanns but haven't seen the smaller ones in a while. I also had a hoop but it took longer to change positions, with this one I just unsnap the bars and move it. Often, I only have three sides snapped because it gives me more play and it's great for getting close to the edges of the quilt.
There are lots of people on this site that don't use frames at all and they do super work. I've been working on not using one but haven't mastered it yet.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Fox

I have a square plastic hoop on a stand, that rotates, by Grace Co.. I stained the wood a dark oak color because the blonde wood just didn't feel right, and I wanted it to look more antique. I like it, except that it "squeels" when I move the hoop, or moves by itself under the weight of a king size quilt. That screech has even wakened me at night...I thought someone was breaking into my house!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:39 PM

I've got a Grace square/pivoty one that I don't think is made anymore. My mom got it for me when Hancock's discontinued that model.
I love it:) I can do any size quilt, It doesn't take up too much room and keeps my feet warm while quilting,lol.
But I am about to be seduced away by machine quilting, I think....
The idea of getting a complete quilt done in a day is too tempting. I've got a lot of tops that need to be done and I try to limit large size quilts to cold weather when hand quilting and I'm ssssslllllllooooooowwwwwww at HQ-ing.....

Sabrina
Old 06-26-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by JCL in FL
I have one of the old PVC frames that are portable. I use to have a large floor frame but it was so restrictive, you had to stay in one room to quilt. I sold it when we down sized to a smaller house. I generally do my larger quilts in sections and I can take the portable frame in the car on trips or to different chairs in the house. I've seen the larger ones at Joanns but haven't seen the smaller ones in a while. I also had a hoop but it took longer to change positions, with this one I just unsnap the bars and move it. Often, I only have three sides snapped because it gives me more play and it's great for getting close to the edges of the quilt.
There are lots of people on this site that don't use frames at all and they do super work. I've been working on not using one but haven't mastered it yet.
I have a 17" pvc hoop that I take on trips with me. I can't seem to quilt in the car, but do love to quilt in the evenings on trips. I found mine just a couple years ago at a quilt shop in FL while on a vacation! :-D
Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 PM

what do u plan on doing with the frame-my oholiab goup quilts but we have to do a quilt as u go-we would love to have a frame
Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 PM

I have an old style oval wood hoop that sits on a stand with two legs down and cross feet and cross bar I can move around with my feet. I got it at a garage sale many years ago and I don't think it has a name. the hoop tilts. I just have to keep tightening the wing nuts every so often. guess I should see whats new out there.