Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of Hand Quilting Frames do you have? >

What type of Hand Quilting Frames do you have?

What type of Hand Quilting Frames do you have?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Good luck with the thimble. I used to do tole painting - folk art kind of stuff - and love both painting and quilting. I don't know what I would do if my hands gave out on me. I so enjoy both activities, but I think that once my right hand get repaired, it will all be much better. I had the left hand done last year and after they pinned the thumb in a few places, it all worked almost as good as before. The wonders of modern science never cease to amaze me and I thank God for it every day. I wish you luck with checking out the Grace frame - methinks you will find it very helpful, especially when you can put it away in a small area, even with a quilt on it. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 AM

I have an Hinterberg with the 3 rolls now.
I really like it.
I purchased it (nevr used) on Craigslist
with all the extra parts for $75.00.
Before that a cheap round on a stand &
a full size quilt frame that wobbled.
The cat loved it, she thought it was a hammock.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:52 PM

When I started quilting in Vanuatu, I couldn't get my hands on any frames, so I borrowed someone's simple wood 14" hoop. My DH and son decided to make me a floor frame from a photo of one they saw for my birthday. It was so special and I used it for several bed size quilts. I still had to baste, and sew the sandwich on muslin pieces stapled to the roll bars. It took help and a while to get a quilt set up, and it wasn't really portable, but I still loved it, and still have it (though I haven't used it for years). I then bought various sizes of hoops and a large oval hoop at Joann's on a trip back to the States (which I don't like), and the last one was the Grace stand with a 21" square hoop. It was a bit more portable, but like FOX, it squeaked as the hoop pivoted and tilted, and because of the pole which you can attach the light to being so high, a large quilt doesn't drape over smoothly as I turn and tilt the hoop, which is frequently because I must be weird, but I seem to only be able to quilt in one direction-from top to bottom, not bottom to top or sideways! I now mostly stick to my 14" x 3/4" plastic hoop on my lap, though I wish it were at least 18-20"!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 PM

Further, I found the wood part that holds the square hoop to the pivoting ball on my Grace splintered and I would find small bits of wood broken off. I always thought it needed to be greased or oiled, but being raw wood it would probably soak in if it didn't ruin my quilts first! I am looking for a good floor frame now that I live in the States again that I DO NOT have to baste first, and being the most UN-mechanical person alive, simple to use. Is there one that will allow me to not have to quilt sideways?????
Old 06-27-2010, 01:01 PM

My very 1st frame I made myself out of two saw horses and 2 x 4's. It was bulky but worked well.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
I have an old style oval wood hoop that sits on a stand with two legs down and cross feet and cross bar I can move around with my feet. I got it at a garage sale many years ago and I don't think it has a name. the hoop tilts. I just have to keep tightening the wing nuts every so often. guess I should see whats new out there.
I got one of those for $5 at a yard sale! It needed a small repair job but I do like it. I haven't used it for a while cause the cats think it is a hammock and loosen my tension on my quilt. I have a large oval hoop also. Again, cats and tension. Their weight loosens the top oval or pop it off altogether. I got a plastic frame from a quilting quild auction with some other stuff. It is four bar that adjust to the size you want it and has small plastic pieces that hold the quilt in place. It takes a bit more to adjust your quilt than the wooden hoops but it is "cat proof"!! LOL Why is it that those little buggers ignore you all day but pick up the quilt and they are on your lap and must be on the part of the quilt you are working on??
Old 06-27-2010, 05:16 PM

I have a handmade floor frame my hubby made for me and 5 hoop frames; 2 ovals and 3 round ones. bought them at Hobby Lobby.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

I use to have one like the q snap frame and just sold it a few weeks ago. I only machine quilt now, much faster and hurts my hands less.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM

I have one similar to aorlflood.. Is is a small square like the first pic., and made out of PVC pipe by a lady in Missouri. Bought it on e-bay, can't find her site any more.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

I make my own quilting frames that have a base on the bottom and wood on the sides so it sits on your lap as you quilt. I also make a traveling one where the frame folds onto itself and opens up when I want to use it.