Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of Iron is best? >

What type of Iron is best?

What type of Iron is best?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM

I bought an Oliso and it is not worth the money. I like an iron to be hot, but one of my old ones was so hot it scorched my fabric! I now use Best Press with the Oliso when it does not seem to do a good enough job. In hindsight, I would have been better off spending $ on cheap irons; they last long enough and then are easy to replace!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
One of the things that I have seen on known Quilter's websites and also in their lectures is that spending a lot of money on an iron is a waste. They say if you want steam buy a cheap iron and a spray bottle for water. Almost every iron leaks after a while expecially the ones on the market now. I have a Reliable and spent more than I should have, but that was before I saw the other views/comments. I think all you need is an iron that gets hot. Buy one try it and if you don't like it return it for a different one.
I also have a Reliable and really like it. It gets very hot, and I have the scar to prove it! One thing that is really important to me is a soleplate that moves smoothly over the fabric. I always wash my fabric, so I need an iron that doesn't drag over large expanses of fabric.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
If your present iron is working well, don't waste money on a new one.
My thoughts exactly. You will be buying another one when this one dies, anyway, so just wait.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 AM

I have gone through several irons and was never happy, the Rowenta leaked all over the place, and others didn't get hot enough for me. Last summer, I broke down and bought a Reliable iron and finally I have an iron that works well. Too bad I don't have that old GE I got as a wedding shower gift 30 years ago- it went in a garage sale before I knew better.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 AM

I have a Shark, got it at Best Buy for $25 dollars. Nothing too fancy but gets the job done. I don't think I could ever see myself spending more than that on an iron.

I have to agree with Sylviak and Justflingin--if you have one all ready wait till it dies, that iron money could be used for more fabric. :-)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I seldom use steam. I figure starch or sizing will do the same as stream. I can see steam coming off the fabric when I spray and press it. I bought a non steam iron, solid sole plate, no holes. It's heavy and cost under $30. I ordered it here: http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...-dry-iron.html
It's always free shipping!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM

I love my Rowenta and I also have a EuroSteam Iton (the expensive one demoed at major quilt shows). I love them both....but I will admit I never dreamed I'd spend the money I did on the EuroSteam one!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
I bought a German one here that I'm going to miss when I go back to the states. I had a Rowenta in the states and it leaked something awful after I had it for years I read reviews and most people had that problem so don't invest in rowenta. Sorry I couldn't be more help! Someone else will probably have a must buy option.
Rachel, take it with you! Don't leave it if you like it.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM

I bought a cheap one at Walgreens, like it better than my Rowents, so gave it away. Welcome.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Smile Cheap Iron

I bought a cheap one at Walgreens, like it better than my Rowenta, so gave it away. Welcome.