Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are you all working on in this new year? >

what are you all working on in this new year?

what are you all working on in this new year?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:53 PM
mkc

I have a bed quilt spray-basted that I need to quilt and bind for our RV. That's probably the first project. Maybe.

While wrapping Christmas presents I finally started watching Leah Day's FMQ class on Craftsy. Then I bought some fabrics so I could do the Craftsy 2012 BOM and use the result for the FMQ class. I might make this the first 2015 project, then quilt the RV quilt with my "new and improved FMQ skills" ;-)

Michelle
Old 01-07-2015, 08:35 AM

Finally got off my duff and started working on a bargello. Got sick during December so didn't feel like doing much of anything. Then finally started playing with the Bargello program. Since my hands shake so badly that was a chore to make a decent pattern but found out if I moved quickly with the mouse I could get a fairly decent wave made. Then came to actually cutting all those strips, stitching them together and then cutting 76 vertical strips from the combined strips. I'm now finally getting to the actual sewing of the vertical strips together. Its going better than I expected as there are 25 seams to nest on each set of strips. I found if once I cut the strips to the width needed, then pressed the seams in opposite direction on every other strip, it made sewing them together so much easier. Not to say my seams matched perfectly each time but it will pass in my book. This is my 1st bargello in colors not my favorites but for someone else. It will be a fairly large quilt by the time I'm finished in an excess of 100+ x 100+ inches. I'm using all the scraps for the backing as I'm on the Fabric Moratorium of no fabric buying for the year. Don't know how long that will last but so far I've not bought any fabrics since early November.

Then once this quilt is put together I have 6 quilt tops to quilt. The quilting patterns are already laid out for the robotics. One does not realize just how much time is spent in making a quilt until you actually make one. From the time you start searching for a quilt pattern, then find the fabrics to use, then either washing the fabrics, pressing them, starching if you use starch (I do), then comes the cutting, stitching, etc. Lots of time is spent making a quilt but what a good feeling it is when you're all done.

Also have another quilt pattern sitting on the cutting table to start once I have these others finished completely. I seem to always have one ready to go waiting on the side lines while I work on the present one plus have another one at the back of my mind working out the details on that one. Guess it gives me a reason for getting out of bed each day.

Have a glorious day everyone.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:51 AM

I have Bonnie Hunters mystery quilt blocks I'm working on. That will be a full sized quilt for my daughters bed... Then I have two quilts on the plans for my very good friends. After that maybe I'll make a Quilt of Valor quilt for my . He's an Air Force Vietnam Veteran.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Just trying to finish up some more charity quilts.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:49 PM

Working on a quilt for my daughter....I also want to make a small wall hanging quilt with hearts for Valentines.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:28 PM

I had planned to just do what I wanted to this year. Even get a head start on Christmas....but, my aunt will be 80 in July and my cousins are planning a big party so I have decided to do a quilt for her, my co-worker is retiring at the end of the year and she has been 'hinting' for a quilt every time I bring one in to show off before I give it, my daughter is pregnant with twins and is due in June. I started a quilt for our camper and I think I'll finish it for my co-worker (problem solved), I bought flannel fabrics to try a chenille quilt for the new grandbaby before I found out it was gonna be twins! I have another quilt top almost finished in nice feminine pinks and blues for me and I refuse to give that one away! I started a lap-size Christmas quilt for me before Christmas and plan to finish it. I received 2 quilt kits for Christmas, with one being the starry nights with lights kit from Missouri Quilt Company. I have a quilt I am planning to send off to have machine quilted - which I have never done before. I think I want to try fmq and I have a wall-hanging basted together that I have been putting off because I am intimidated by fmq. Right now it seems over-whelming and I am sure I have forgotten stuff in my list.....oh well, gives me purpose!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:43 AM
dd

I found a star called Addison's star that is just half square triangles. I'm making that in bright colors for a friend's teenage daughter named...Addison or Addie. It's all bright colors but each block is different. Also working on Affairs of the Heart. Finally got my book for Christmas. Good friends just told us their daughter is pregnant and expecting a boy. Why doesn't anyone have girls anymore?lol I'm sure other things will pop up during the year.