Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What are you working on?? >
  • What are you working on??

• What are you working on??

Old 01-01-2012, 11:37 AM

I am flummoxed by the acronym OBW, help me out!!

Originally Posted by dixie_fried
    Perpetual clean-up. Everything seems to be a mess around me. Organization is not a strong suit of mine.
    As for quilting, I'm hand piecing 1.5" hexagons for a table runner for DMIL. Hoping to have it done by Easter, as the colors remind me of dyed eggs!
    Also got bitten by the OBW bug over the last few days. Bought a big floral print from the clearance table at Joanne's yesterday. Brought it home, tore down the middle, found repeats and cut 24 blocks immediately....just to see what was going to happen. I hope to get the rest of it cut today ((should be 96 blocks if my math is correct). I'm very excited to see what the OBW turns out like...every one I have seen has been so beautiful.
    I have the fabric for 3 other projects that should last me a few months, and as with most crafters/quilters, I have that UFO pile that just seems static.
    Happy New Year, everyone!
    Old 01-01-2012, 11:42 AM

Thank you for posting this...I have never heard of it http://www.davids-house.org/Page.aspx?pid=291 I live in NH this sounds like a wonderful cause.
    Originally Posted by nhweaver
    I am cutting out and piecing 10 flannel charity quilts for David's House in Hanover NH. Very linty, the Husky doesn't like it, but the Janome doesn't care. The Husky has to go in for repairs, only 2 years old, the easy needle threader doesn't stay down, and I think it needs a tune up. I have cleaned out the lint from the bobbin and throat plate undersides on the Husky, but it just doesn't "sound" happy. I am doing a double slice layer cake (Utube, Missouri Star), but using 8" squares. Not alot of cutting, simple, have about 5 quilts in varying levels of work. I have to press the first batch, (my least favorite activity - ironing - at the same time I will be pressing rows on a feedsack quilt for a gd, a highschool grad gift for June 2012. Maybe tomorrow I will feel like pressing.
    Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 AM

I'm working on a new quilt that I started a few days ago. It's a "Gemini" pattern that I got from Keepsake Quilting a few months ago. I'm using the Zinfandel Jelly Roll Batiks from Hoffmann in shades of blue, green and purple. It's really easy and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I know I should be working on one of my 2012 UFO challenge but I've had this fabric for a long time and just wanted to work with it. Did you ever have fabric you just couldn't wait to work with?
    Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver
    I am cutting out and piecing 10 flannel charity quilts for David's House in Hanover NH. Very linty, the Husky doesn't like it, but the Janome doesn't care. The Husky has to go in for repairs, only 2 years old, the easy needle threader doesn't stay down, and I think it needs a tune up. I have cleaned out the lint from the bobbin and throat plate undersides on the Husky, but it just doesn't "sound" happy. I am doing a double slice layer cake (Utube, Missouri Star), but using 8" squares. Not alot of cutting, simple, have about 5 quilts in varying levels of work. I have to press the first batch, (my least favorite activity - ironing - at the same time I will be pressing rows on a feedsack quilt for a gd, a highschool grad gift for June 2012. Maybe tomorrow I will feel like pressing.
    Where do you get you feedsack fabrics?
    Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Well right now, i'm online reading the quiltboard. Quilt wise i'm trying to get some of the quilt tops I have in various stages of completion done. The one i'm peiceing the blocks together for now is a scrappy heart blocks with black and white sashing. After that, I have a 9 patch started that needs to be worked on and a couple others. I will get them all done eventually.
    Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 PM

Im going to start making 3 arm chair caddy's for Christmas 2012. Not going to get caught again this year with alot of gifts to make and running out of time. I dont work well under pressure, it takes all the funout of it!
    Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 PM

I am finishing up some pot holders that I was making for Christmas presents. I have a patriotic quilt that I have almost finished hand quilting and I have an I Spy quilt with all the I Spy blocks sewn together in strips. I want to double check all the horizontal seams of the strips then put in the vertical sashing and finish. I don't like to have a list too long to finish. I don't want to feel pressured.
    Old 01-01-2012, 03:38 PM

When we lived in NH, I had my surgery at norris cotton cancer center, and also my husband knew Dick Syr, David's dad.
    Whenever possible I donate to David's house, I know the money gets used there, over the years it has grown. It does'nt get much publicity, but it does so much for the families of sick, injured, and needing surgical procedures children.

Originally Posted by carolaug
    Thank you for posting this...I have never heard of it http://www.davids-house.org/Page.aspx?pid=291 I live in NH this sounds like a wonderful cause.
    Old 01-01-2012, 03:46 PM

It is a pattern called feed sacks in scrap basket surprises by kim brackett, jelly roll friendly, but I did it with Honey Bun rolls.
    Update on the Husky, it now is a very sick puppy, calling the Viking dealer tomorrow to make an appointment. Tomorrow, I will put the Janome back to work. Have to move the sewing cabinet to put the wire through the right places, and to move the cabinet, I have to move everything around it. Tight but wonderful sewing room. I appreciate the fact that I have a sewing area/room now.
    Originally Posted by karenpatrick
    Where do you get you feedsack fabrics?
    Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 PM

I have started a king size scrappy flannel quilt. It is just 10" squares & the front and back will be 10" squares. I just need to use up all this misc. flannel I have purchased and never done anything with it. If I get a new camera I will post pics when finished.