Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are you working on?? >

What are you working on??

What are you working on??

Old 01-02-2012, 11:21 AM

I'm working on a quilt for a DGranddaughter, it's a dark blue batik and cream 9 patch with cream squares as the alternate block. Cream squares all cut and all 9 patch blocks have been sewn, pressed and trimmed so I'm ready to start sewing the quilt together. Next is a quilt for another DGranddaughter, haven't worked out the final design but keep planning it while I'm working on the 9 patch quilt.

I'll be caught up with family quilts when the 2nd quilt is done and time to get some of my UFO"s finished and donated to my Guild's Giving Closet. The closet is empty now as all the quilts from doll size to queen size were given out to those in need at Christmas time. Same with the more than thousand pillowcases we made for our Project Pillowcases, they have been distributed to kids in NJ and NYC hospitals. Next week we'll hold the first of our monthly Pillowcase Sew Ins and begin building our stash of pillowcases for 2012. May in Jersey
Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM

I am in a couple block swaps. Also working on a very huge Christmas quilt - 12 hand appliqued blocks. I have six complete. Maybe by 2013 I will be able to hang it up as my Christmas decoration. I will put it up in October (just like the retail stores) and take it down in January. I also have a charity quilt going and a lap quilt for my sister. I am looking to make a quilt for my husband and I this year too. Just finished 4 twin sized quilts for nieces for Christmas. I was glad to have that complete.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:43 PM

I've spent all last evening "unsewing" the 9patch blocks made by 5 middle school girls I am working with on a Quilts of Valor quilt. We are using the machines at the school I work at and they are OLD, cruddy Berninas that have seen too much hard use and the plate is on a free arm recessed into the cabinet--great if we were doing set in sleeves, not great with quilts! As a result the girls have had a TERRIBLE time getting 1/4" seams. I brought it home over break and ended up unsewing all 10 blocks and fixing so that we'd stand a chance of getting them into a quilt. Then this morning I worked on the 9 patches--have all 10 fixed and cut the blocks for the snowball blocks they are alternating them with. Hopefully they can do a better job with seams on those! Then I spent a large part of the afternoon cutting on a star quilt kit I got on sale last year. For some reason I am stalling on getting back to MY bargello. Also have 2 baby quilts staring me in the face--one can wait but the other is a this month project. And what I really plan to do is buy some fabric for a whole cloth lap quilt or two and get back to the machine quilter shop where I took a long arm lesson after Christmas. I want to rent some time on it for that baby quilt, but need to do some practice first, so plan to use a whole cloth and get going on it in next week or so!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM

this sounds like a great idea...I made a king size quilt using just 10 inch blocks...looks great but its only the top. I keep saying I need to quilt it but dread doing it. I will FMQ it one of these days on my sewing machine.
Originally Posted by Mauck View Post
I have started a king size scrappy flannel quilt. It is just 10" squares & the front and back will be 10" squares. I just need to use up all this misc. flannel I have purchased and never done anything with it. If I get a new camera I will post pics when finished.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 PM

I am working on a lap quilt for my cousin, Margaret. There were 5 of us cousins who all grew up together and we are very close yet. We lost our only boy cousin to colon cancer a few years ago. Funny our ages are all 2 years apart from 75 to 81. (I'm 77). I will start one for the other 2 after I finish the one for Margaret. I'm doing a DP9, next one will be scrapppy four patch and final one will be Ohio Star. My work is cut out for me....LOL
Old 01-02-2012, 02:31 PM

I started the year working on 3 tablecloths. One for each one of my two daughters and one for my oldest son's MIL.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 PM

I am making a Kindle cover for my DH's Kindle Christmas gift at the moment and am going to help my Mom make stars for a star quilt she started. I am also re-crocheting a hat that I made for my step-daughter. It was too big for her so I am making it again. I have to take down the Christmas tree before I can do much sewing b/c I am going to be painting my sewing room. An antique dresser is being refinished which will house most of my stash--I hope. My son is getting married in Dec. 2012 so I have started purchasing fabric to make a beach tote and picnic quilt for my future DIL's shower. My Mom is making them a bed quilt so I don't want to take away from her gift for them. His best friend is getting married in July as well. I am not sure what to make for them. Have to find out their colors first. I am sure I have other projects in my head, but these are what come to mind at the moment....

Last edited by DMotyl; 01-02-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:31 PM

Digging into my fabric stash and , using a plastic store bag as a pattern, I'm making "Busy Bags" for children at church to have something to do quietly during the service. I have 10 cut out, and 4 sewn so far. It was also nice that I had a variety of Christian fabrics to use for this. Helps empty out one area of my room.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:55 PM

Do you mean Batiks? instead of Baklic?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 PM

My objectives for Year 2 of feeding my obsession with quilting are to go to my quilting open class this month and get help with traditional pieced blocks using a small project like table runners, because my instructor is wonderful and will get me past my awkwardness with triangles; to try a small paper-pieced project from Carol Doak's 'easy' book;
to finally do the quilt for my son which I bought the fabric for last year but didn't get to for Christmas;
to finally do a really beautiful quilt with the Robyn Pandolph Scarborough Fair fabric I bought last year.

Since I seldom can cope with more than one project at a time, that should take me into June, and who knows what inspiration will come to me as I peruse the Board and the quilt shows!