Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your biggest waste of money?

I love my Supreme Slider. Many people on the thread said they hated theirs. If you have a Queen (the XL one) size one, I'd be interested in it.

So far I haven't used the pounce pads I got, but maybe I will someday! I got some stencils I really like so I will probably try them eventually

Quote Originally Posted by baglady65 View Post
    What I don't buy is alot of fabric unless its something I really need for a project.
    I find and I have gone to Houston many years now that if you really like something buy or right the booth number down and what was there you wanted...as you will never find it again or it will be gone so you need to go back soon after you have seen it! I have bought many things I have not needed or used yet but maybe some time I will get back to those things! One thing I'm going to buy another is a quilt hanger for doors! I have lost all my walls to pictures so still have doors! I always have a list of things to look for before I go! Thread is always on sale and feet for yor sewing machines as all the dealers are at the Big shows.
    I don't think I've seen a quilt hanger for doors but would sure love to find one if anyone has a link.

I too have been led astray with specialty rulers. Bummer huh? They are so expensive! My problem is I love notions so I tend to be a bit of a sucker for many new items that I may or may not use. Got the pounce too because a friend likes hers and I read once where you can just iron it away, but mine didn't end up to be the ironing kind. I hate wasting money on stuff that is not what you think it is, or does not work, or you just can't figure it out. Sometimes the tried and true old methods are the best.

Good thread, I think I will ask you guys before I waste money on stuff from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
    I'm hoping no one posts about the Electric Quilt program. I just purchased the EQ7 yesterday and can't wait to get it. I have heard a lot of caution about how it is hard to navigate and use all it's tools so I am concerned because I do not have any experience using these type of programs on the computer.

However, if I can get comfortable with it, I think it will be a huge benefit for me. I have 2 huge book cases full of fabric and don't know how to use this fabric so I'm hoping it will help me find or create quilts that will work for the type and quantity of fabric I have.
    I think if someone else bought it and it was a waste of money for them that it is irrelevant to you. You wanted it, bought it and now will use it.

I have Electric Quilt--it can do way more than I know how to use it--I made one of my goals this year was to use it more (not a very good goal as it should have been specific). I have--. I have some specific goals relating to it for next year as well. I love my program and use it weekly, and on some projects, daily.

When I buy a sewing tool that I don't use I don't think of it as wasting my money, I think to myself, I didn't need to buy that after all.
    I love my life!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Simplicity Rotary Cutting machine. I tried using it quite a few times and I hate it. I love my June Tailor rulers. I have the Shape Cut, the Quarter Cut I use both of these all the time. I also have the Dresden Express which I have not used but I know that I will sometime. Loved reading this thread. Hey any one looking for a cheap Simplicity Rotary Cutting machine. Just let me know. Take care all. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

My latest ruler. It was over $14.00 and it is a half inch wider than the others, and somehow it confuses me, so I hardly ever use it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Simplicity Rotary Cutting machine. I tried using it quite a few times and I hate it.
    I like mine. I use it to cut strips for rag crochet. I think it's more for crafting then quilting.
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    Never have bought anything at the shows except for books, pantos and rulers for my LA and have been happy with them all.

Never found the need for all the bells and whistles. I enjoy simplicity.
    peace

EDIT: I did buy a 6" Bloc- Loc ruler for squaring up HSTs and I LOVE that ruler. So many quilt patterns have HSTs that it was a good investment for me.
    Last edited by ube quilting; 11-15-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    The Accuquilt Go was my biggest mistake in purchases. Used it once. Its a great dust collector though if you collect dust!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
    teflon pressing sheet,and the pounce thing for marking quilts. never used the [pounce and the teflon sheet was so stiff and then wrinkled and is useless.
    I totally agree with both items. !!...

Hope it's ok to make a list: My thought was,"if 1 is good, 2 must be better"! Sometimes 4 or more.

Very expensive (thousands of dollars for a) sewing/embroidery machine with expensive software. More than I'll ever learn to use.
    Another embroidery program. What was I thinking?
    Fabric
    Pounce x2
    PVC hand quilting frame. Would love to sell it.
    FabuMotion Fabric Mover. Would love to sell it.
    All kinds of rulers. Found I use the same ones over and over!
    Tons of markers
    Storage containers of all kinds.
    Clover needle threader that I can't figure out how to use.
    Lots of thimbles. Use one cheap old thimble of my mothers. I taught myself how to use it.
    Way to much thread, cotton, polyesters,embroidery threads,in just about every color. A plastic bed bag full of serger thread.
    2 sergers which just sit on the shelf
    Too many sewing machines
    Several tables that didn't work in my room. Gave 3 away.
    Equilt 7
    Scissors out the ying-yang
    Drawer full of bobbing thread with 4 plastic bobbin holders that I haven't used.
    3 extra cutting mats that I don't use
    A wall full of all kinds/sizes of rulers and mostly never used
    Cameo Silhouette and all the notions to go with it. Used it once.
    Several sewing rolling bags plus: Do have one for the large sewing/embrod./arm. One for the FW. And one for the Serger.
    This list is too long to add anything else. LOL!

Only if I had just started using the old Kenmore I had and bought enough fabric and one ruler to make a quilt. Hindsight is like Monday morning quarter-backing. I can't believe what I have accumulated in 4years!!! At this point, I am buying little to nothing. I could have saved thousands and thousands of dollars and still had fun quilting for it is just a basic sewing hobby: a sandwich of 3 pieces of fabric, cut apart, and sewn together... I think my learning curve was just a bit big and slow.... But I love it all and will keep on quilting!!! And embroidery here and there!!

Blog Entries
    a serger machine--brought it home, opened it up and read a lil, put back in case, put machine away with extra sewing machines for 'A Some Day' experience--maybe in 2015 !

I bought the Steady Betty pressing board and the small cutting mat that rotates. Although both are very nice tools, I seldom use either.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

This is a great thread. I'm in Australia so some of these things I haven't heard of. I do have the GO Baby and have used it several times. I like it for the time saving and accuracy of the shapes cut. I think Magazines and books are my weakness. I was watching a youtube quilting show yesterday and loved the wedding ring quilt they were making so have ordered the book with the special template off Amazon. At least I can rewatch the show to figure it out. I do have the EQ7 haven't used it much haven't even watched the tutorials through. Must find Rhonda tutorial.
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

I originally bought the pounce pad for hand quilting, but did not use. When I got my longarm it decided pounce pad would be great for marking as I go! Well, you can pounce on the design, but soon as I turn on my machine to quilt,the speed of machine makes the chalk bounce all over and you can't see design. I did end up pouncing design then marking over with wash put pen! double work. At the next big show I ask the salespeople about this "vibrating chalk off fabric" situation. She said "after rubbing stencil several times with pounce pad,spray with hairspray!" I have never tried this because all I can think of will happen is my longarm will gunk up with hairspray! So No to pounce pad!
    I really like my accuquilt. I am English paper piecing 5/8" hexagons and loved my accuquilt to cut hundreds of 2"squares. great for strips too. I've found dies on eBay cheaper but agree they are way to pricey.
    I also love the binding clips. the clover bobbin holder was waste of money! the don't stack well and fall over.
    big fan of books and magazines, but I am trying to cut down, so my sewing area doesn't look like episode of hoarders! I find flipping the pages while drinking my tea very relaxing and cheaper than therapy.
    have never used the "curve master" foot attachment. Also have the Alto Cut (original one) I bought on eBay, which has never been used.
    Have enjoyed this thread many items I have thought about discussed. And as you can read, I'm a big sucker for a flashy demonstration at a quilt show!
    Celia

The rotary blade sharpener......
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

My go to ruler is Quilt In A Day's triangle square up ruler. One cut and done.
    The Flynn frame was my worst waste of money and gave it away.
    Last edited by Rose Marie; 11-16-2014 at 06:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    The suction holder for rulers. It worked a couple of times and then wouldn't hold the ruler anymore.
    I agree....pretty useless

I bought a very long ruler that has the grit on one side that's supposed to sharpen your blade as you cut. Nope! It dulls and scrapes up the blade while making a gooseflesh-raising sound instead. Fortunately the grit is only on one side so I can still use the other; it's yardstick length & useful for trimming finished quilts, but I'm sure I paid extra for that horrible grit.

I also wish I hadn't wasted money on a spinning mat, now I just use a small mat on top of my big mat, but that "small" mat is larger than my spinning mat, so the spinning mat just lives in the closet, virtually unused.

I wish I hadn't bought most of my Omnigrid/Omnigrip rulers and had spend the money on Creative Grids or Olfa or other more clear-to-read rulers instead. All those thick yellow/green lines are really hard for me to see through.

I think that's about all that I really regret. I suppose that's a good thing, as I've spent a LOT over the years!

Hmmm....as much as I love my top-of-the-line sewing machine (Pfaff Performance 5.0), I've found that I really don't NEED all those fancy stitches and optional presser feet I just had to have when 90% of what I do is strait stitch piecing with my 1/4" foot!
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I bought a Clover desktop needle threader - I can't get it to work - finally read the tiniest print ever and it only works with specific needles that are made by clover. So it really was a waste of $ 15.

Thanks for that heads up!

Blog Entries
    Just one comment - I see I am in good company with things that I should not have spent money on - LOL!

I have cut way down on gadgets and expensive items. The fabric delivery truck (UPS) is my favorite item these days, just can't pass up good sales on fabric.

Blog Entries
    I "inherited" a lot of my BFF's quilting things when she passed away. There was a whole plastic tote filled with gadgets and I finally got it out the other night and only picked out a very few things. Most were Useless to her and useless to me. Kind of sad.
    Nikki in MO

I bought the Martelli binding system at a quilt show and hate it ....too complicated. Sold it on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I bought a Clover desktop needle threader - I can't get it to work - finally read the tiniest print ever and it only works with specific needles that are made by clover. So it really was a waste of $ 15.

I use the needle threader ALL the time and love it!!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast