Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your biggest waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by joyce j View Post
    the Alto's Cut 2, was a waste of my money.
    So sorry the Alto did not work out for you! I have it and I absolutely love it. It is the only think I cut on unless I need to cut a very large piece. My diamond shapes turn out so good and make stitching star blocks so easy.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by CookieZenmilk View Post
    these posts are hilarious. we are so gullible. i agree with the rulers. now i just buy things i need, rather than things i want. how bout a rotary cutter with a light on it. what is that for? cutting at midnight?

this made me chuckle

I cant believe all the posts on this topic. Its pretty interesting reading.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Recently having visited this topic again, I was tickled to see what a hot button this subject is for ALL of us!

It reminded me that in the mid-late 1990s I bought LOTS of embellishments for quilts....
    silk ribbon
    wired ribbon
    round beads/oblong beads/metal beads/glass beads/this-and-that-kind-of-bead
    "eyelash" threads
    decorative yarns
    leather appliques
    silk for specialty appliques
    fancy buttons (and this started a thankfully short-lived antique button collection craze for me)
    "lost its mate" ear rings with stones, beads, mosaics, etc.
    decorative tatted laces
    antique laces
    French laces
    small folded-fabric flower shapes

I made TWO quilts using this embellishment stuff - one went to a friend, one is a UFO nearly 20 years old - and haven't pulled the box out again except to add to it!! What's with that???!
    Keep saying I'll make a crazy quilt someday with lots of handwork.......but for WHAT?? I'm having surgery on both hands now because I can hardly use them any more; I'll be 70 in January; what makes me think I'll live long enough to use a tenth of the stuff up?!! LOL! Sometimes I think I'll be on "Hoarders" if my daughter sees all this quilting stuff neatly stashed away!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Jan, if it's neatly stashed away I doubt you will be on hoarders. LOL There is nothing neat about the way they store all their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    This is fun to read. I love the invisagrip and the blue rotary blade sharpener. Not the same as new, but it stalls buying one for a few more times.
    My biggest regret is the cutting mat that turns. I have kept trying to use it too. Then there are many specialty rulers and books.

piney
    Thank you PinceCone for your comment on the cutting mat that turns. The price was too high I always felt, but I did want one. I just use a smaller mat that I can easily turn myself when I need to turn. I keep my big mat down and place the smaller one on top and cut. I guess I will keep on doing this and save my funds for fabric. Enjoy reading all these comments, in the heat of the moment we do buy items we never use, I have a few hanging around here.

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    I have an Accuquilt Go Baby that I have tried to use twice and I just don't like it. I definitely would not buy this too again.
    I've got the same thing and I've used it once...wastes too much fabric and very expensive for the dies....I'm going to put mine on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    The tool to put binding on, by martelli, I think. Can't figure out how they did it do easy!
    I bought the system at a quilt show and wound up selling it on ebay

Blog Entries
    Serger! Used it maybe twice.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I bought a suction holder( for I thought a bath tub or shower as a helper) at a thrift store for $2 and i use it on my rulers and it helps. It does not hold for a long time but I just release and put it on the ruler again. My waste was the embroidery module I bought with my Bernina 440 I have not used it. Long story about the lessons and time. I have used my pounce but I have to use a wet/damp wash cloth on the quilt before I use the pounce and then you see the imprint better. This thread has been great!
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I forgot to say something about my serger. I use it a lot but do not try a cover for it. I have done this a couple times and it messes everything up and then you have to rethread. My DH has helped with the threading buy this last time it did not work. loops, I have to start all over and try myself or take it to someone. Threading sergers is a PAIN.
    Suzanne

Thanks for this information on threading the serger, What kind of thread that is stiff? like hand quilting thread or upholstery thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I like my sergers and use them frequently.

The initial threading or if one has to rethread it for some reason is a pain - I've learned to poke a stiff thread from the 'top' through a couple of the parts/guides and then tie the serging thread to it and pull it through. Just couldn't get that thread to go through those guides by itself.

I've bought any number of things that it turns out I could have gotten along nicely without.

I am also surprised at how many people have been less than thrilled with the die cutters and the John Flynn frame.
    Suzanne

Power Poster
    I use a stiff nylon thread. Any thread that one can poke through the loopers and tie on to the regular thread will do. You might need to try seversl things to see what works for you.

Check the threading for how to thread your machine. The hint is for an old BabyLock serger -1970s model.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 02-11-2015 at 04:49 PM.

yel
    Blog Entries
    the table top quilt frame has got to be the worst.....small poles ....use regular machine with a large throat ....can only quilt small space at a time ..uggggggggg

but on the other hand the pounce that lot of you don't like ---- I REALLY LIKE IT ...so much that i got one with white chalk , one with blue and one with pink ....love love love it

Quote Originally Posted by joyce j View Post
    the Alto's Cut 2, was a waste of my money.
    For me too. I would love to sell it never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Mc View Post
    Mine was a Grace quilting frame. Cost over $500.00 & got it on sale as they are a lot more. Have a Babylock Quilter's Choice Professionel machine & they don't like each other. Can't seem to get the rhytum down to make machine work right. Can work faster with machine off the frame. Was an expensive lesson.
    ditto here

My Alto 2 cost more then my Go. I rarely used the Alto because if I didn't get the measurement gauge exactly in the same spot, the cut is off. A ruler is faster. All other tools and notions are not expensive enough to think they were a waste of money. I learned something good or bad from using them.
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    For me it was the Handiquilter Sweet Sixteen stitch regulator! Never use it anymore & would love to sell it! Email me is U need one!
    Last edited by hairquilt; 02-12-2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: additional comment

I have enjoyed this thread tremendously, so informative. Since I was always working with a small budget I do not have many things. Just basic rulers, few books and small fabric collection. But now I better know what not to buy.
    thanks for starting this post.

The original handi quilter frame/platform for your domestic sewing machine. I got it as a Christmas present - because I asked for it. I used it a few times. But I make large bed quilts (queen or king). Even with a Juki TL98E (9 inch throat) by the time you pass half way the quilt, you have very limited space to actually quilt - because the rest of the quilt is in a rigid roll in the throat of the machine.

Now I mostly rent time on a longarm. Or if I have to, I FMQ on my Juki in my quilting table. At least then I can 'scrunch' the fabric and quilt from the middle out - so I never have more than half the quilt in the throat of the machine at a time.

John Flynn quilting frame!

I love checking back on this thread every now and then to see what else has been added. This is keeping me on the straight and narrow!!! Saving my money for Fabrics not useless notions etc.
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

The Angle sheet (for sewing diagonally) and the Pounce were my worst purchases. The Angle sheet wouldn't fit properly on my original machine (probably would be fine on the Bernina, but by then, I had thrown it away). The pounce thing - I found chalk marks worked fine on small projects, but not on the large projects, which I mostly do. I have since learned to just freeform quilt, so got rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
    Those stupid binding tools for joining the ends. What's worse, I have two of them. Granted, they didn't cost that much, but I found a YouTube video that showed me a fast, EASY, way to do it.

I have one of those 45* rulers for joining binding ends--I really like it. I could probably have figured it out without the ruler but it makes it pretty mindless.

Hallie in NM

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Like Debra Mc and Sweet, the Grace Frame.....although I must say that I have found new uses for it. I use it to sandwich/pin my quilts together instead of doing it on the floor (much better on the back) and I hang my strips and projects all over the bars when not in use along with piles of stuff all over the bottom shelf.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

Magazine subscriptions!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast