Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your biggest waste of money? >

What was your biggest waste of money?

What was your biggest waste of money?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Various thimbles, and rulers that are for one purpose. I have one that is supposed to be for binding and I still cant figure out how to use it.
I have a ruler for binding that everytime I use it I have to watch the youtube video from MSQ company. It really works so maybe you should try and find a video on youtube that shows you how to use your binding tool.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I echo some of the above: specialized rulers, marking pens, etc. But I think I've wasted a lot of money on books -- and some of them were a pretty price. I love to look at them and read some of the basic information, but I've hardly ever used an actual pattern in any one of them.
I fully agree
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 AM

Red face Biggest Waste of Money

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
I am about to go to PIQF (Pacific International Quilt Fest) in a few days. Not only does it have spectacular quilts, but the largest collection of vendors under one roof. I have read about all of the best purchases and tools quilters have obtained, but what was the one purchase you would NEVER make again?
I just read 14 pages of comments, wow!!! It's amazing to read everyone's input. I fully expected rulers and books, some notions, but the range of items and consistent complaints about certain items is surprising. I just discovered Deb Turner, so I am happy to see consistent endorsements for her rulers. The high number of complaints about the Flynn frame surprised me, not that I am going to buy one. I too have purchased the Martelli binding system and it gets my vote for being a terrible product. As for books and magazines, it goes without saying that you are never going to make everything they offer, and very few make even one project from every book, but we love to look through them. I try to buy them used (Amazon, Abe's Books or Alibris). I am not subscribing to anymore mags, I'd rather spend my money on fabric from now on.

When I go to a quilt show, the first thing I do is look at the quilts that have been entered, that's what I go for. Then I wander the booths and try to make a note of anything that was special or interesting at a particular booth. I almost never buy right away because there are so many vendors and chances are I may be able to get something cheaper elsewhere. I also don't want to blow my budget right away, in case there is something fabulous at another booth. Take a card from the vendor, note the booth location and then you'll be able to find your way back quickly when you decide what you want to buy. This also saves you from having to carry purchases around all day. Try to take a break, sit, eat something and decide what you really need to buy.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Default serger-

Originally Posted by imnywoman View Post
I just read 14 pages of comments, wow!!! It's amazing to read everyone's input. I fully expected rulers and books, some notions, but the range of items and consistent complaints about certain items is surprising. I just discovered Deb Turner, so I am happy to see consistent endorsements for her rulers. The high number of complaints about the Flynn frame surprised me, not that I am going to buy one. I too have purchased the Martelli binding system and it gets my vote for being a terrible product. As for books and magazines, it goes without saying that you are never going to make everything they offer, and very few make even one project from every book, but we love to look through them. I try to buy them used (Amazon, Abe's Books or Alibris). I am not subscribing to anymore mags, I'd rather spend my money on fabric from now on.

When I go to a quilt show, the first thing I do is look at the quilts that have been entered, that's what I go for. Then I wander the booths and try to make a note of anything that was special or interesting at a particular booth. I almost never buy right away because there are so many vendors and chances are I may be able to get something cheaper elsewhere. I also don't want to blow my budget right away, in case there is something fabulous at another booth. Take a card from the vendor, note the booth location and then you'll be able to find your way back quickly when you decide what you want to buy. This also saves you from having to carry purchases around all day. Try to take a break, sit, eat something and decide what you really need to buy.
Good plan! If you have a serger you don't/can't use,check your LQS for classes. Many offer them and you can use your serger for so may things. I bought a book on serged quilts-thinking to save quilting time. I have ahd mine for 15 years and use it for Xmas PJs every year,plus strip quilts for charity. The thread lasts so long that it is really not that expensive.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 AM

Batt Scooters! Biggest waste of money I ever spent. They were supposed to be the ultimate for moving the quilt as you stitched, wrong! I haven't seen them advertised anywhere for over a year so apparently they weren't a big hit with folks. While we're talking money the best investment I ever made is the Wonder Clips that you use to hold the binding in place while you sew. They are amazing and I've used them in a multitude of ways. They are a tad pricey, but worth every penny.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 AM

My biggest mistake was the circle hangers for all my rulers! It's a big pain to get at the 1 you wantbecause the closet hanger gets in the way and you have to keep shifting until you can get the 1 you're looking for. I use it now for my stencils as it keeps them flat and in 1 place(when I remember where I put it lol.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
I have an Accuquilt Go Baby that I have tried to use twice and I just don't like it. I definitely would not buy this too again.
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this!!! I thought it would be awesome, but it WASTED fabric!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dharinger View Post
The Flynn Quilting Frame. I even convinced my friend at the time to buy one also. I could have quilted the small quilt myself in the time that it took me to set up. I used mine once. She has never used hers.
I bought one last March and haven't even taken it out of the box. For items small enough to fit in the frame I don't need one. And of course the throat on my Janome 6600 isn't large enough to do really interesting designs when constrained by the rollers.

What was I thinking?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by fayeberry View Post
round hoop thing that was supposed to make FMQ easier. Never use it. Fortunately it was not too expensive.
Oh yeah. I have that too. However I did use it, but not with good results. Perhaps more practice? Of course I expected it to make me an expert FMQer.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 AM

Great posts! As usual lots of useful information. Sad to say that I've purchased my (with lots of help from DH-he's such a softie) fair share of useless or disappointing items: Martelli Kwik Klips-waste of money-results in broken fingernails with every use. Martelli cutting mat--its a cutting mat..just lays there so I suppose it does work; Strip cut ruler that was a combo (See, my DH said..it comes with all this other stuff,) with the mat and rotary cutter...not a fan of the ruler because it's not see through but it does not slip a bit. Love the rotary cutter. I prefer the little red Wonder Clips; I use them for tasks other than binding. Purchased the Brooklyn Revolver...used it a few times; mine spins very well, therefore, not useful when I don't want it to spin, so I'll check out other brand suggestions for turntable mats in this thread. Purchased the Flynn Frame...never used it...can't give it away. Purchased a Bernina Quilt Frame form my 8 Series machine...frame works very well and can be used with other large harp machines...It was too much of a hassle for DH to move the machine on and off of the frame each time I wanted to use the machine for embroidery. Now, the frame is an expensive storage table....would love to sell it. I've had the urge to purchase an Accuquilt many many times but the cost of the dies has held me back. I found that the crank was not that easy for me to use. DH says buy the Studio cutter because it's easier to use. I say surely there is a push button variety out there somewhere. Accuquilt Studio is still on my wish list.