Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you? >

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pheasantduster
My first and only - Singer 401A. My mother sewe so there was always a sewing machine out in our dining room. In the late 50's her Singer bobbin case broke and at the time Singer Co would leave a machine to use while yours was being fixed. The salesman left this 'new' Singer 401A. It zig-zagged, did stitching patterns using various discs. I was in high school and came straight home every day to use the machine. One day my mother's machine was returned BUT the Singer 401A was still on the dining room table. My father and mother bought it for me! - my Christmas, Birthday, and Graduation Present - all in one! My uncle made a cabinet 5 feet long to fit exactly in the bay window of the room. The sideboard went into the garage so I could have the space. I had it overhauled once and the repairman wanted to buy it from me. He admitted it was the last machine all metal and a gem. The 50th reunion of my high school graduation was celebrated last year and I and my Singer are still going strong!

WOW! Walpole??? I lived right near the line in Norwood and really got hooked on quilting at Louisa's quilt shop... Quilts LTD. I've lived in AZ since 2000, but am actually going back to MA for a wedding and visiting all the kids the last week of March. I learned to sew when I was only 6 or 7 on my Mom's very old Singer... black w/ filigree, a wooden bonnet case, and wicked heavy. It was pretty old even for her! OK, so that's about 60 years ago! I then had my own Singer, then a wonderful Viking, and now two Berninas which are perfect; they've "driven hundreds of thousands of miles" with all the quilting, home deco, and some wearables, not to mention things for my little grand-daughters.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:42 AM

Mine was a Singer, bought in about 1973 {still have it}. I learned on my mom's Singer which she had bought before she was married so it was quite old when I started using it. She is still sewing on it and wouldn't have another if given to her. She is 83. I now have a Babylock Ellegeo and a Singer Featherweight.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM

When I was 6 I learned to sew on my mother's Featherweight. At age 16 I had saved enough babysitting money to buy my own machine.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 PM

My 1st machine was a New Home. I got it in high school. I had a hate/hate relationship with that machine!! Never worked properly.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:17 PM

I learned to sew on my mother's Kenmore, which she also learned to sew on (probably during the 30s). For my 21st birthday, my husband bought me the top of the line Kenmore. I loved that machine and put millions of miles on it over the next 32 years. The clutch was going bad. Hubby bought me my Bernina Aurora 440 Quilting Edition in 2006. I wasn't sure if I could make the adjustment, but now you couldn't get it away from me! Last year he got me a little lightweight Kenmore (with a pink hardside case) to keep in our camper, since we like to camp alot and I don't want to jostle my Bernina. I did have a serger about 20 years ago, but I hardly used it and got rid of it.
So I guess in my lifetime (so far) I've only had four machines, plus the use of my mother's.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:22 PM

I married an Airman in 1969, our first purchase was a small $99 Black/white TV. When that was paid off, we bought a Sears Kenmore $99 sewing machine. I then started making Guru shirts for him and mini dresses for me, those were the days. ... I sewed my high school clothes on a White of my mothers...
Old 03-06-2011, 12:24 PM

Mine was a Featherweight! Oh how I wish I still had it!!! My mother bought it in about 1953 new. I was about 12 & had learned to sew on my grandmother's treadle machine using her feed sacks. I made my wedding dress on it & so many other things. After I married Mother gave it to one of her neices. At my age back then I had no idea of how prized it would become today! I doubt if anyone did then.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Began using Mom's 40's Singer when I was 6; bought my own simple Singer 1970; replaced it with nice Kenmore 1980; WON terrific BabyLock Quilter's Choice 2007 or 8 - love them all.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 PM

I was 10 and mine was a featherweight that I still have (and still use!) today.

--Sharon
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 PM

I was 12. I had taken Home Ec and had my first taste of sewing. My mother did not sew, but my grandmother did on a treadle. I prayed secretly that Santa would bring me a sewing machine. It would have been an extravagant gift. I swear I did not ask or beg for this because back in the day I knew we simply could not afford it. I suspect my grandmother had a hand in this. That Christmas beneath the tree was a wondeful Singer ZigZag machine. All I can say is that it meant the world to me. I sewed on that machine until I was 30 yrs old. The thought never ocurred to me to give it up. It was a steel horse. Finally, I sold it at a garage sale. I'm sure it's still going strong!