Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you? >

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

Old 03-06-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by missbelle
Yours is the lst & only MW machine I see in lst Sewing Machine. The first sm I used was a National 2-spool and I know most of you never heard of that kind. It belong to my GM and I would sit in a chair beside her in about 1935 while she would sew for me and let me push the control and explain to me about sewing and what she was doing. After a while I could use with her supervision. Boy, that was a Cadillac of a machine even though straight stitch only. They were sold out in country areas by traveling salesmen. Her house burned in the early '40's so there went my machine. I used my mother's singer pedal machine that was a relative's and had a lot of miles before she got it, but it sewed. After I married I got a MW (new) electric of course and straight stitch. But it was great had a knee control. I made my clothes, household items and sport coats for my husband. Then technology had progressed and in whatever year the 302 singers came out I traded in. Then, later for a 501 singer, which I have lent to a GGD-in law. By then I was sewing for twins. Then there came touch-in-sew singers, and then Pfaff and then machines that do embtroidery and sew also. I still have a several of them. Well, needless to say If I could find a National two-spool in excellent shape reasonable I would buy, but then I would need a few regular sized spools and a way to transfer thread. The MW was also a great one, sorry I traded it in. You can tell that I am like auto collectors. I am still sewing and doing some quilting. missbelle
Miss Belle,
by MW I am assuming Montgomery Ward. A blast from the past! Am I wrong?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:55 PM

The National 2 spool sewing machine. About half way down:
http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/no...ewmachine.html
Old 03-06-2011, 12:58 PM

When I was 18, my father took me to Sears and bought me a Kenmore.
My mother always had a machine-hers was the old- fashioned kind. In other words, women were expected to use a sewing machine on some level.
It was portable, but it fit into a nice cabinet. I had it for many, many years.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM

My first machine was a Sears Kenmore, at 20, ...hated it for years...stopped sewing, and the MIL gave me her TouchTronic 2000 Singer, which I have been using for years. Another friend gave me her Husquavana Viking, which I still need to learn...
Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 PM

BJ SewKkrazzy, like you I have a Husquavarna Viking. I took 3 lessons, and have had it for 3 years. But like you, I'm still intimidated by it. I'm glad I have it, but I suppose we just need to start pushing buttons and play around with it. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 PM

My first one was a Brother at age 26. Received it as a Christmas present from my Grandmother as I wanted to start Quilting. It's only a year old but set aside due to an upgrade to a Janome.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by hilda Vest
BJ SewKkrazzy, like you I have a Husquavarna Viking. I took 3 lessons, and have had it for 3 years. But like you, I'm still intimidated by it. I'm glad I have it, but I suppose we just need to start pushing buttons and play around with it. Good luck!
Fortunately, we have a quilting store here, that on Thursday's from 1to 5, you can bring in your own machine, and a project and they will teach you how to use it!!!! I am going to do that, before I attempt it on my own!!!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:46 PM

My first machine was a Nicchi. My dad bought it for my mom and I. Mom hated it and went back to her treadle. I was 11.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:47 PM

I was around 10. It was a Singer. It didn't take long for me to tear the thing up. I got the bobbin hung up with thread and tore the plastic parts up. It was an early 80's model. After that my mom just let me use hers which was a 403a.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:00 PM

was a singer which we still have it was in 1976