Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you? >

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 PM

The first sewing machine in my life was my mother's Singer 301. I learned to sew on it when I was 10 and that was all I knew until I was married at 19 and my husband purchased a Singer sewing machine as his wedding gift to me. I honestly can't even remember the model of that machine. It was a 1969 model and every time I used it I would have to take it in to have it serviced. It was a pain in the backside. I had it to the repair man over a dozen times in the first year. Finally he took it completely apart and reassembled it. He told me they had put it together wrong when they manufactured it and that it should be better now. It wasn't. One day in a fit of frustration I took it out to the field behind the house and and used my husbands shotgun on it. It gave me more pleasure in those few minutes than it had in all the time since first attempting to sew on it. I saved my pennies and purchased an old Singer 301 and still have it but also have had several wonderful machines since. Ann in TN
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
The first sewing machine in my life was my mother's Singer 301. I learned to sew on it when I was 10 and that was all I knew until I was married at 19 and my husband purchased a Singer sewing machine as his wedding gift to me. I honestly can't even remember the model of that machine. It was a 1969 model and every time I used it I would have to take it in to have it serviced. It was a pain in the backside. I had it to the repair man over a dozen times in the first year. Finally he took it completely apart and reassembled it. He told me they had put it together wrong when they manufactured it and that it should be better now. It wasn't. One day in a fit of frustration I took it out to the field behind the house and and used my husbands shotgun on it. It gave me more pleasure in those few minutes than it had in all the time since first attempting to sew on it. I saved my pennies and purchased an old Singer 301 and still have it but also have had several wonderful machines since. Ann in TN
i love it!! i've had a few computers i've wished to do that to. lol
Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 PM

My mom taught me how to sew on a Kenmore and I was 5 years old. My first one that I bought for myself was a Singer Fashionmate.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM

mine was a singer Genie in the 60's or 70's
Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM

I learned to sew on my mother's sewing machine when I was 12 years old. It was a Necci German sewing machine that was made in 1953. I sewed on her machine until I was 20 and she bought me my own which was the basic Brother for Christmas, I remember how excited I was because it had a zig zag stitch. To this day my mother still has the sewing machine in the cabinet and it is in mint condition and she still uses it for small projects. I remember as a kid she made all our Sunday dresses to match (I have 3 sisters) and all of the drapes and pillows, Halloween costumes etc. She never was a quilter but she sure is a beautiful seamstress. Thanks for posting this question, it allowed me to find out more about the machine and reminisce about my early sewing days.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:38 PM

My Mother wanted to learn to sew, so my Dad bought her a Singer machine in the early 60's. It came with lessons that she didn't want to take so I "had" to take them because if no one took the classes that would be a waste. I was eleven and by far the youngest in the class. I learned the basics and taught myself the rest. My mom never did learn--I still have that very heavy, all metal, should-have-been-in-a-cabinet, "portable".
Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM

my first "grownup" machine was bought for me by hubby, on the occasion of the birth of our first child--a daughter. we were too poor for him to buy roses, because they would die too quickly. so, he bought a "sew-mor" (made by white) from a salesman who gave him an end of year deal. he paid for it with time payments. he's still "paying", because i'm still sewing! i still have it--it's only trip to the shop was when hubby decided to use it to repair the canvas on a tent trailer when i wasn't home to object...

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
mine was a child's machine that sewed a chain stitch. my cousin brought it back from hong kong for me (he was an air force pilot, whom i adored). i think i was about 7 years old. i still have it, and i'll be 63 this year. it got me started, and made many sets of doll clothes in it's life!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM

A treadle machine and I was about 10.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Mine was a White which was a hand me down from my Mom. It was one of the best machines I ever owned. Never had a problem with it...I wish I still had it.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM

My first machine was a Mongomery Wards...I got it when I was 22.