Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you? >

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 AM

I was 12 yo and it was my grandmother's Singer treadle machine. Wish I had that machine now!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews
Mine was the original, gray, Singer Touch and Sew. I was 12. It came with a free course from Singer. My mother bought it for me, although she did not sew, she had watched me hand sew with Barbie patterns. It was the beginning of my life, as I cannot even imagine not sewing....it would be like not breathing! I kept that machine until I was due to have my second child and I traded it in on the Athena by Singer. I won't continue on because I am ashamed of how many machines I have had, and do have....but I love them all.
Michelle G.
El Paso, Texas
I had some little hand crank machine that did a chain stitch, I think. I never used it much because I was allowed to use my Mom's old Singer. I still have that machine. I need to get it out and sew on it again; haven't used it in a while. I cherish all my old machines, but still use the new ones all the time.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 AM

Mom had an old White machine with the knee lever. I wasn't allowed to touch it even though it was messed up and wouldn't sew. One day they all went somewhere and left me in the house alone. I took it apart, read the manual, oiled it and was sewing away when they got back. I was eleven, been sewing ever since.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:28 AM

Mine was a Mercury, my moma made all my clothes on it when I was growing up. I have 2 sisters, we were in HS before we ever had a store bought dress. That machine could sew anything.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Began sewing 12yo used my moms kenmore until I was 16 then saved up my money and bought a viking I remember when my mom bought a new kenmore in early 1960's and one day the machine did not work so she called sears and they sent a repair man out to see what was wrong. She forgot to plug in the machine. :oops: That was an expensive service call.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 AM

My first sewing machine was a Singer, my mother-in-law bought it for me in 1974. I still have it as a back up machine. Still purring, have never been repaired or cleaned except by me...I LOVE IT!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 AM

I was given a White and when I married I traded for a Necchi, then in the 70's I demonstrated machines for Singer and fell in love with a Touch N Sew, still have it along with a Brother Novis, and a small Janome for taking along.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:53 AM

The first machine I sewes on was a Montgermy Ward treadle with a long bobbin,won't say how many years ago. Lets just say a long time ago. Took me awhile to get feet and tredel cordnated. Wish it was still around.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 AM

the first machine I sewed on was my mother's old White treadle; I was 7. I was in my late teens before I got my own machine.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 AM

i used my mom's old kenmore for years..had a "borrowed" machine for several years as it's owner had a stroke...

when i left husband #1... the owner wanted it back, cause she thought i was overreacting to the beatings he was giving me & the affairs he was having... gave it back happily..

bought myself a bottom of the line kenmore when i could afford it (2 kids, no child support) gotta love those 5 payday months... save up a few and you can get just about anything!