Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's under your needle today? >

What's under your needle today?

What's under your needle today?

Old 09-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

​Ryder, have you made them a remote control caddy that goes over the arm of their favourite recliner?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:20 PM

I'm in the Construction Business. Building BOM Houses. It's this years BOM program. I try to participate big time. and I did some "Demolition" on a couple of them along the way. LOL
I also decided to put People and Pets in the windows. It's a year long program and I'm having fun.
Attached Thumbnails bom.jpg  
Old 09-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Cute house, tuckyq. This farmer is partial to the cow!

Rob, what about grocery bags? As plastics are getting banned in some areas, but couple of grocery bags would be nice. I have several made from corduroy or lightweight denim. Appliqued a cute square on each one. I based the pattern on a standard grocery paper bag. Baggers generally slip the handles over the plastic bag holder and they fill decently. For vegetables/fruits I sewed bags with a sheer weight polyester. I based the bag on the plastic pull bags, used French seams and used the selvage edge for the top opening and didn't hem the top.

Have this old UFO on the sewing table now. Then the "squirrel" mind decided to cut into the mound of scraps. First starching and ironing, then cutting into 5" sq and 5 x 10's, then cut down to next doable width. Have a couple of patterns that this idea will work.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:13 PM

mary r - Best to start quilting in the middle and work your way out if quilting on a domestic machine.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Making a set of four Fall placemats. To be a gift for a visit with my sister.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Rob, do your folks do any travel? When we travel by car we always bring our own pillows for bed and put them in really bright, obvious pillowcases so we don't forget to bring them home--easy reminder at hotels. Another idea for car travelers is a small, lumbar pillow that can be left in the car.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:34 AM

Hey Rob: Depending on how "elderly" the parents are.......my 88 year old mom asked for bedroom shoes for her birthday. It is not really a "sewing" project but she has so many lap quilts, doesn't have much need for kitchen items place mats potholders etc. Her cooking days are slowly coming to an end and since I was out of ideas too. The new "store bought" slippers with a good hard sole were just perfect. Now to see what I can do for Christmas......
Old 09-10-2018, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone:

Tartan- the remote holder might work for my dad- he uses a recliner, though I’m not sure he’s the one who uses the remote. Do you know where I can find a good (easy) pattern?

Oksewglad- the grocery bags sound like a good idea, especially since, like me they are both vertically challenged and need bags with shorter straps than are on the ones sold by the local grocery stores.

Quiltingshortimer- they don’t travel much anymore, but I like the idea of the pillowcases for me since I need to take extra pillows for car travel these days.

Murphey224- they’re mid 80s, but Mom still likes to cook and Daddy still putters around the house a bit. Judging by the amount of food in their pantry, and in the two refrigerator/freezer combos they have, I am beginning to believe that they view grocery shopping as a recreational activity... last time I looked they had Five of the large containers of ice cream in the two freezers. Best guess is they have enough food in the house to last for several years... Need I add it was never like that when I was a kid back in the 60’s LOL!

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 09-10-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:49 PM

That's adorable, tucky!!!

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
I'm in the Construction Business. Building BOM Houses. It's this years BOM program. I try to participate big time. and I did some "Demolition" on a couple of them along the way. LOL
I also decided to put People and Pets in the windows. It's a year long program and I'm having fun.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:52 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600932[/ATTACH]

These are pinwheels for my twin grandson's quilt. His twin sister's has the same lamb fabric, but the contrast fabric is white. I'm in crunch time with the shower coming on Saturday, for which I have to help decorate on Friday night, so....yeah, it's a good thing I work well under pressure! Hers is almost finished--just need to finish a few inches of binding . His needs probably 12 more hours of assembly!!
Attached Thumbnails img_5821-1-.jpg