Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where o where is there a good thimble??

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    I bought a pair of Roxanne thimbles last summer and I love them!
    I hate to ask, but what is the purpose of a pair of thimbles? I can't use one, what would I do with two? :oops:

I hate to ask, but what is the purpose of a pair of thimbles? I can't use one, what would I do with two? ///Oh, Gail...I have to answer this one:))I personally have at least '2' of everything for several reasons. If I sew downstairs and come up later...I am not running around to find what I might have left down, etc. I spend my time sewing instead. Also, when I travel, I am ready to roll and if something gets lost on the way or the way home, I have my back up!;) With real life crazy in this house, company showing up, phone calls, kid stuff, etc....I think I am a girl scout in sewing;) Hope that helps ...Skeat

Great information on the thimbles.

Thanks, Skeat. :lol: I hear ya. Probably for the same reason I have so many pairs of tiny scissors and clippers. And I can never find on when I need one. I suppose I don't see the "need" for 2 thimbles, cuz I have so much difficulty using ONE that I never use one. And I can't imagine having to have TWO. Of course, I have a variety of thimbles that are useless to me because either they don't fit or they aren't suited to me. But I really think I'm ready to get one of those Roxanne's.

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    My favorite thimble is the Dritz quilters leather deerskin thimble. They fit tight at first but do strech out and eventually they wear through but I Love, Love, Love it it fits good is comfortble and by far the best one I have found! here is a link to one on the Joann site.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...questid=548146
    That's the exact same leather thimble I was talking about. I love it! It stays in place and definitely does the job. $5 or so isn't a bad price for a thimble either! :D

Hey I paid $4.95 for mine months ago. It is $2.00 right now at Joann's.......I am going to invest in a few to have them on hand! I'm really glad this subject came up! Thanks for the link Up North!

I just ordered 5 of them that is a great price and I have a friend that wants one, can't find them in the store here. I never knew how to use a thimble until I watched Alex Anderson one day and they showed the propper way. I was wearing it on my pointer finger instead of my middle finger now it works perfect!!

Gail, I totally understand w/the not being able to use a thimble. I thought at first you might as well as put a rock on my finger.:) I now can not live w/o one! Well, I could, but, I no longer have holes in my fingers, my DNA on my projects from that, etc:)). I also realized I was having a hard time finding one that didn't drop off my finger when I turned it upside down or cut off my circulation. Well, I did find one that didn't do either...and, bought it!:))I forced myself to use it and actually started using it to push the needle thru on purpose...and, loved that driving action:))Such control!:0)Now, I love that puppy! So, my advice is to make sure it fits and just force yourself to try it for awhile and I bet you will love it too. And, no more sore spots on your fingers:))The roxanne comes recommended from many around here too. Keep us posted on your thimble progress! I am sure it will be helpful to so many :))Keep stitch'n Gail!! Skeat

I have two of several things. There is a small kit in my purse for when I go quilting at church on Tuesdays. I do not have to remember anything. I always bring my purse with me so I am all set, if I am not going to work on my own stuff.

I like that thinking Boston!!:0)Great idea too! Skeat

I have a Roxanne thimble and love it. After wearing it, I sometimes forget I have it on. It comes in different sizes.

Hi,

I also vote for the leather ones. I have more than a dozen of them scattered through out my house. Since I am a hand quilter for hire I usually go through one everytime a do a full size or larger quilt. I also quilt with both hands so I use a shorter black leather one on my left thumb. When I quilt left handed I push with my thumb. The leather ones I like best are made of deerskin, have a plastic round disk in them and elastic that helps them stay on. I get them at quilt shops and have gotten some of them through catalogues etc. I prefer the ones that are light brown. I even have a pattern for making my own but haven't used it yet. I have never learned to use a metal one.

I just found a new one that is called a jelly thimble. I like the way it fits my finger. i have a hard time with the leather ones being left handed the needle always seems to fall on the seam of the thimble.

My favorite thimble I found at an auction, believe it or not. It's an old one, although I don't have a clue about the age. If you or anyone wants, I have some very small ones that if you would like to try them, just PM me, I'll send them to you.

Oh, I love this topic! I learned to sew everything, even embroidery with a thimble when I was about 6 years old. My Granny and my mom never let us touch a needle without a thimble. I have one with a lip at the top that I love. I use it on my middle finger and push the needle through with.

I tried the leather ones and they just don't last long enough. I have a jell one to use when I have a hang nail but it just feel as this one made in Spain. I have an allergy to nickle but this thimble has never broken me out. It doesn't go far from my side ever.

Hope you find one you like, Skeat!
    Hugs,
    Sharon

Skeat,
    I love TJ Lane thimbles. I have two of them and can wear them for hours with no discomfort. I have arthritic bumps on my knuckles and these are the only thimbles I can use. They have a lifetime guarantee and can be exchanged at any time for the full purchase price. Look at this site:

http://www.thimbles2fit.com/

All these suggestions are just super!! All of you are better then any google search and I have to say 'personal experience' beats all odds of any search:) I am making notes on all the suggestions, making marks on my favorites to keep my search ongoing!:)I am glad I am NOT the only person in the world stressing out over the 'thimblemania' issues of the world:) I appreciate all you are sharing in the thoughts of this process!! As, I am sure there are others thinking the same mental thanks!! Keep them coming!! Even though I do looooove vintage and objects w/history, I have been warned that the older thimbles can be of a softer metal and may not last and end up w/a sad hole in the end. Which to me, would be such a sad thimble emergency for the thimble:) I really don't know that as a 'true' or not...I still secretly look while at flea markets, etc in their glass cases for those tarnished thimbles!:))Keep your thimble ideas and experiences coming!! It's such a huge help and relief! (They do exist in the real world):)Thanks much! Skeat

Blog Entries
    Skeat,

I use Mole Skin Plus. It is used for avoiding blisters on feet. So you can find it in the foot notions of WalMart. It is a soft, sticky pad that you just cut to size (very cheap). It is very flexible (I can even type with it on) and the needle goes through it very seldom. And the needle won't slip off it.

I just finished my first quilt bindings this Christmas and found it an excellent item to use. Try it before spending loads on a thimble.

GailG, I quilt both with my thumb going away from me and with my finger going towards me and since my thumb is so much bigger than my finger and these thimbles are fitted to size I bought two!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    GailG, I quilt both with my thumb going away from me and with my finger going towards me and since my thumb is so much bigger than my finger and these thimbles are fitted to size I bought two!
    Thanks. I use my thumb sometimes, too. I haven't quilted by hand in quite a while. Fingers get too sore. I think I need lessons.

Blog Entries
    Amen! Thimbles and my fingers just don't go together...I don't use them. GiGi

Izy
    I LOVE the Ultra Thimble, it sits wherever you prefer, I stitch using the side of my middle finger and this is so comfortable as it isn't enclosing your finger you still have alot of 'feel' ability :D

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/8027.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2