Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Where o where is there a good thimble??

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,844
    Anyone tried to do searches for thimbles??They are hard to find!! I did find Roxanne's. I have a silver thimble w/a attachment on the end of it w/a lip to help keep the needle from slipping. Anyone know of GOOD thimbles??I'm not excited about the discount store ones...I'm ready to make a good investment for myself. Help! Skeat

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have never found a thimble I liked. :?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    590
    My favorite thimble is a silver one from 1900s

    I bought it on ebay..

    I have a few in different sizes if any of you are interested.. I was going to put them in my online store...

    Here is what I like about them...

    They are light weight, so they arent hard to use for extended time..
    and they are sturdy,, as in they are thick enough to not wear a hole in them, probably in your lifetime..

    Let me know if you are interested in any of the ones I have..


  4. #4
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,675
    My problem is finding one to fit! I have such tiny hands.

  5. #5
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,696
    My favorites are the leather ones.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    My problem is finding one to fit! I have such tiny hands.
    I have some very tiny ones

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,844
    One of the gals I quilt weekly with has a thimble w/a brass or gold softer finish on the top that looks like a plate w/an edge. It is really pretty. She doesn't remember where she got it. I have an old one too that I cherish from my grandma that I use to use but, I dont want anything to happen to it. As far as ebay, I gave that up when they went strictly to paypal. Put some pics up on your site Judy...then go and do a search for them....you might be the only store listing any! I can not find them. (nothing against clover, but, that isn't what I am wanting to invest in-an heirloom of sorts)You would think for a cherished item that is important to so many, there would be some great art works for us! Keep post'n quilters! We still are looking:))Skeat

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    One of the gals I quilt weekly with has a thimble w/a brass or gold softer finish on the top that looks like a plate w/an edge. It is really pretty. She doesn't remember where she got it. I have an old one too that I cherish from my grandma that I use to use but, I dont want anything to happen to it. As far as ebay, I gave that up when they went strictly to paypal. Put some pics up on your site Judy...then go and do a search for them....you might be the only store listing any! I can not find them. (nothing against clover, but, that isn't what I am wanting to invest in-an heirloom of sorts)You would think for a cherished item that is important to so many, there would be some great art works for us! Keep post'n quilters! We still are looking:))Skeat
    Skeat, you are very close to me right?
    You can try them on when you come for applique classes...

  9. #9
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    I bought a new thimble today. It's a "featherweight Raised-Edge Thimble" made by The Colonial Needle Company. Wasn't very expensive but I've never tried one of these before. I found the "perfect" thimble several years ago -- it was made of leather and had a metal indented top. However, the leather comes apart after a short time and doesn't take to gluing or anything else that I could figure out. I found a couple of these at our Ben Franklin when it was closing down. The first one literally fell apart from age and the second one the cat found and chewed it to pieces. Plus -- guess what? They don't make them anymore. :cry: :cry:

  10. #10
    Senior Member foxxigrani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    755
    I haven't been getting to many catalogs lately but did get one this last week. Was looking for some thimbles. My problem too is getting them to fit. I think my fingers are between a med. and a sm. So its hard for me. Med falls off my fingers small doesn't fit that well. But there are a couple in there that are made to wet fit to fingers and then let dry. Has anyone tried them?

    The catalog is Clotilde. thimbles are on page 19, or you can check on thier web page, Clotilde.com

    Hope this helps some of you and if you do happen to find one that actually fits I would be grateful if you let me know. I am going to try those I mentioned and will tell you, that is if I remember lol. Memory a problem

    Rita

  11. #11
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,502
    My favorite thimble is the Dritz quilters leather deerskin thimble. They fit tight at first but do strech out and eventually they wear through but I Love, Love, Love it it fits good is comfortble and by far the best one I have found! here is a link to one on the Joann site.

    http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...questid=548146

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    514
    I found a leather thimble with a little silver coin in the center at Joann's yesterday. I think it is Dritz, and they are half price through Sunday. I only used it for a little today but it fit nice and seems to do the job.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,844
    Here's an interesting site I found the other day for them...anyone seen them at shows? How cute is the cage for them too:) Go to: http://www.thimblesetc.com/ I might have to rent out my dh for one:)

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    590
    It looks like they took their designs from the old ones..

    At any rate, if I have one that fits you, I can sell it to you for about half that amount.. around $25 or $30....

    Ill try to put some up on the shopping cart in the next few days...

  15. #15
    Super Member Yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County, California
    Posts
    1,733
    I was never able to use a thimble until I tried Roxanne's. They're expensive but at least I can use it. Now I can't sew without a thimble! I know, weird!

  16. #16
    Senior Member redrummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mount Vernon, Oh
    Posts
    707
    ditto

  17. #17
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne
    I was never able to use a thimble until I tried Roxanne's. They're expensive but at least I can use it. Now I can't sew without a thimble! I know, weird!
    I have never been able to use a thimble either. I don't know about Roxanne :oops: . Who is "she"?

    My problem lies in holding the needle while wearing the thimble. I suppose I'm just a klutz, but I hold a needle with my thumb, index and middle fingers. Am I too old to learn a new trick? I'm told that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. :lol:

  18. #18
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    My favorite thimble is the Dritz quilters leather deerskin thimble. They fit tight at first but do strech out and eventually they wear through but I Love, Love, Love it it fits good is comfortble and by far the best one I have found! here is a link to one on the Joann site.

    http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...questid=548146
    That's the exact same leather thimble I was talking about. I love it! It stays in place and definitely does the job. $5 or so isn't a bad price for a thimble either! :D

    Hey I paid $4.95 for mine months ago. It is $2.00 right now at Joann's.......I am going to invest in a few to have them on hand! I'm really glad this subject came up! Thanks for the link Up North!

  19. #19
    Senior Member foxxigrani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    755
    I checked the Joann site and there isn't a one I haven't tried and hated, but then I did tell you that apparently I have a weird size. All the leather ones don't fit, and even wetting them and letting them dry do not shrink the timbles to fit my fingers. Metal small is real tight, and med is to large. O woe is me. :(

    Hope someone having problems find some good ones. Good luck

    Rita

  20. #20
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by foxxigrani
    I checked the Joann site and there isn't a one I haven't tried and hated, but then I did tell you that apparently I have a weird size. All the leather ones don't fit, and even wetting them and letting them dry do not shrink the timbles to fit my fingers. Metal small is real tight, and med is to large. O woe is me. :(

    Hope someone having problems find some good ones. Good luck

    Rita
    http://www.createforless.com/Dill+Jelly+Fingers+Thimbles+18mm+Multicolor+Bright +24+pc/pid129302.aspx?SI=2a14425c-d811-4be7-881b-b38c9e5a73e2[url]

    Maybe those would work?

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,844
    the leather ones don't fit, and even wetting them and letting them dry //Try putting that leather thimble in a pocket and run it in the washer and dryer...bet it will fit after that;))And, I too use my middle finger holding the needle and have to tell you that you will get use to that thimble as it was strange to use for awhile. Now I can't live w/o it:))Just keep using it and you will feel the same way soon:). Thanks for all the sites posted so far and I am glad too this is good conversation on thimbles. Glad to know I am not the only one on the hunt:). Skeat

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,091
    I like the $1 safety thimbles from Walmart. Been quilting with them for 22 years. I have tried others, including the expensive ones, but this works well for me.

    Also, it depends on how you quilt. My girlfriend pushes the needle with the side of the thimble, and I use the top. I have another friend who does something weird with her thumbnail. Different approaches to the needle require different finger protection.

  23. #23
    Super Member Yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County, California
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne
    I was never able to use a thimble until I tried Roxanne's. They're expensive but at least I can use it. Now I can't sew without a thimble! I know, weird!
    I have never been able to use a thimble either. I don't know about Roxanne :oops: . Who is "she"?

    My problem lies in holding the needle while wearing the thimble. I suppose I'm just a klutz, but I hold a needle with my thumb, index and middle fingers. Am I too old to learn a new trick? I'm told that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. :lol:
    Here's her thimbles.
    http://www.thatperfectstitch.com/thimbles_right.html
    Her daughter is running the business now.
    http://www.thatperfectstitch.com/

  24. #24
    Super Member Boston1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,881
    My husband bought me one that was a little too big and I did not want to hurt his feelings so I put a bit of my batting around my finger and shoved it on. It is very comfortable and I can use it for hours!

  25. #25
    Super Member Lucky Patsy's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,253
    I bought a pair of Roxanne thimbles last summer and I love them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.