Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This is where we talk about anything related to quilting. >
  • This is where we talk about anything related to quilting.

• This is where we talk about anything related to quilting.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Who cares?!
    This board is so wonderful compared to some on the internet that this issue is too small to fret over!

Jan in VA
    DITTO!!!!
    Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
    The topic section "Main" has the heading "This is where we talk about anything related to quilting." I keep reading topics that I don't see any connection to quilting but they are posted in the "Main" category. Is this o.k. or not an issue to be supervised? I would think the chit,chat, etc. would be the category to use for jokes, weather, what I'm doing today, etc. topics.
    And so why did you post this thread in the Main section? It has nothing at all to do with quilting. :shock: :lol:
    Old 02-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
    I've noticed this trend too and find it a bit irritating... I have my Recent Topics list customised to only Main, Pictures and Tutorials as the Board is so big now, I have to prioritise my reading time. It IS a bit annoying to have the spaces on 'my' list filled with topics I have no interest in...
    DITTO!!!!
    Old 02-22-2011, 12:17 PM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by davidwent
    I don't mind too much if things are posted not quilt related. If te title doesn't interest you don't open it. simple
    David
    that's like telling a person who just got shot that they should have dodged the bullet. :hunf:

all the moderators are outnumbered, that's for sure. we move about a bazillion things a day. it's a bit like herding cats. :lol:

we are grateful to those who don't try to stretch the definitions and then complain [about getting moved or deleted] based on a far-fetched technicality.

we appreciate the support and cooperative spirit of those who thank us (or who at least don't complain) when we move their posts to the proper place.

we're all especially grateful to those who read the section definitions and post things where they belong. :thumbup:
    Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 PM

My post was made in the "Main" section as this was the section I was referring to in my post. The "Main" section is the 1st section I try to look at when time is limited. As stated above, I don't think I or anyone else has issues with the topics posted in chit, chat section.

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Originally Posted by donnajean
    The topic section "Main" has the heading "This is where we talk about anything related to quilting." I keep reading topics that I don't see any connection to quilting but they are posted in the "Main" category. Is this o.k. or not an issue to be supervised? I would think the chit,chat, etc. would be the category to use for jokes, weather, what I'm doing today, etc. topics.
    And so why did you post this thread in the Main section? It has nothing at all to do with quilting. :shock: :lol:
    Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Who cares?!
    This board is so wonderful compared to some on the internet that this issue is too small to fret over!

Jan in VA
    I agree. with Jan. and Davids comment if it doesn't interest you don't open it.
    and yes I have had a topic or 2 moved on occasion and also a topic removed.
    My hands go up for the moderators they do a wonderful job keeping this Board undercontrol. and if they miss something who cares just don't read it.
    Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM

I always try to put new topics where they belong. I can't say that I haven't made a mistake though. I don't find it an issue to have things mixed up. When I select Recent Topics, I just choose the ones I want to read and leave the others alone. What I have noticed and probably am guilty of is following a topic and a comment in that topic will lead others to post a comment that is off the original topic and suddenly a whole new topic has evolved.

What I don't understand is where a topic disappears to once I have read it and want to read it, again right away. I have even used Search and can't find them. Also, why do the same topics appear on multiple pages. After I read a full page of topics and then click on the More Topics button, some of the same topics are there, also. I appreciate all of the work done by those in charge because I really like this board. :)
    Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 PM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by litacats
    I agree ... if it doesn't interest you don't open it.
    the "if it doesn't interest you, don't open it" argument does not properly apply to this conversation. it would only apply if we were talking about things that had been posted in the right place. in that case, it would be a useful suggestion. in this case it is not.

we try to be flexible and understanding whenever possible. after all, the Berlin Wall will not go back up if a person posts in the wrong place.

we want to encourage mutual understanding and a good sense of humor. we don't want to beat people up for making honest mistakes.

still, donnajean has raised a very good point. the more our community grows and the number of posts per day increases,
    the more important it is that we try our best to put things where they belong.

if you're at the mall and go into the candy store, you expect to find candy. you don't want to have to pick through cases of fish and cheese to get to the M&Ms. ;-)
    Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
    What I don't understand is where a topic disappears to once I have read it and want to read it, again right away. I have even used Search and can't find them. Also, why do the same topics appear on multiple pages. After I read a full page of topics and then click on the More Topics button, some of the same topics are there, also. I appreciate all of the work done by those in charge because I really like this board. :)
    First, if you are looking at "Recent Topics" you are only seeing things you haven't read before. It won't show up there again until a new post is added to the thread. Try going to the board it's on, or watching topics that appeal to you.

Second, with posts going to the second page, this can happen when a new thread is added on the first page, bumping the last post off page one and onto page 2. You might not see that if you use the back button on your browser to go back to the main page after reading a thread - it doesn't get a chance to refresh until you go to the new page.

Does that help at all?
    Old 02-22-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    if you're at the mall and go into the candy store, you expect to find candy. you don't want to have to pick through cases of fish and cheese to get to the M&Ms. ;-)
    Ha! You're really good for my diet, you know? ;)

You guys do a fantastic job - thank you!