Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where will my quilts go? >

Where will my quilts go?

Where will my quilts go?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
This topic hits home unfortunately. My sister passed away early this month and did not leave a will or any instructions about her possessions. She had, however, made her funeral arrangements. The arguing over her things just makes me sick. DH and I have a will and I am going to talk to him about my sewing "stuff" soon. I highly recommend to people that they have a will.
I don't have much to pass on but am slowly 'giving' stuff to family members. Had rememberance rings made for all 6 DGdaughters with a little diamond from my MIL's ring or a pearl my ring in the center with their birthstones on each side. One DGdaughter asked for my grandmother's macaroni platter so I wrote a history to go with it. Another has my FIL's old fashion ice cream scoop that she loves. Next item is the pre WWII rock maple chest on chest from the bedroom set me and all my sisters used growing up, think it will go to DGdaughter #3 since other married or soon to be married DGD's live in CA.

Also someone posted that their kids said, "We don't want old stuff Mom". Yeah, that is until after you've thrown out or given it away, that's when they come looking for it.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:34 PM

An acquaintance of mine has certain quilts which are spoken for by family, the rest will be displayed at her funeral. People who attend will be given a ticket when they come in, after the service, numbers will be read off and the lucky ticket holders will go home with a quilt. Now that is a cool idea?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Hmm, you folks always bring up some interesting topics, thanks.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM

I hadn't really thought about it, I should make a note and attach to our will so the executor knows. Thanks for bringing up the subject!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 PM

My daughter is in charge of everything. Being an only child she will have to make all the decisions on what to do with what I leave.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:55 PM

This really is not much of an issue for me. My completed quilts are given away almost as soon as they are finished.
I 'm one of those quilters when I am done with a quilt , I am really done.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:56 PM

I've already told my daughter that if something happens to me she is to go to my house and get my Pfaff machine, my Longaberger baskets, my Robert Tino prints, and my jewelry before her dad sells everything in a yard sale for $1.00. He doesn't have a clue about the value of my stuff!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:56 PM

I've already told my daughter that if something happens to me she is to go to my house and get my Pfaff machine, my Longaberger baskets, my Robert Tino prints, and my jewelry before her dad sells everything in a yard sale for $1.00. He doesn't have a clue about the value of my stuff!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Have you thought about a local museum for those older quilts? How about a local quilt guild for the fabric and machines? It would be nice if our things could go where they will be appreciated. In the end, though, we loved them and have great memories.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by chairjogger
I have no idea.. I give most of my things away.. I have a few quilts from my grandmother's .. but the kids appear to have very little interst.. along with my china and crystal that all would I married - so carefully registered for.. this generation. "We don't want old stuff Mom."

I try not to think about it. :(
think about all the people who saved their good china, silver, glassware "for best", so their kids could inherit it, and then their kids don't want it.
I say, if you like it, use it everyday. Make YOURSELF happy - the heck with the heirs.
e
I use my good things all the time - my kids don't really want them so I use them - if something happens - Oh well. Visited my 90 yr Mother and one of my sisters asked for something she would use and Mother hasn't used it in probably 30 yrs - but no she wouldn't give it to her. How sad to care so much about things.