Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where will my quilts go? >

Where will my quilts go?

Where will my quilts go?

Old 10-25-2011, 04:00 AM

Yes, we all need to think about that. If you don't have a dear friend or a relative, are there church groups that do donaion quilts? We need to write down our wishes and give to someone we trust. When one of the ladies in my guild passed, her hubby (not knowing any better), packed up 20 years of everything and called the Salvation Army. Makes me sick just thinking about it. Can you see some of your treasured quilts ending up in the back seat of a car?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 AM

I told my husband and my children but have written everything in a will so there will be no question about what happens with my sewing barn and contents. As my children ask for certain things I put it in writing or give it to them then. My dear DIL already has my china cabinet for example. Less dusting and less worry.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:34 AM

After I finish a quilt I sew on a label that says what the quilt name is, when it was made and to whom I want it to go. My husband and I have 5 children between us. He also knows there are certain ones I want the kids to have. Mostly I make Christmas quilts and he is a Christmas nut so those are his for sure.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
I just want to come back as a ghost and listen to the kids as they try to make sense of my mess!!
Ditto, as of present my son says I am a hoarder and claims he is going to put me on that show, but he did compliment me on being an organized hoarder! LOL, He also boasts to anyone that no matter what I have, I know exactly where to look for a certain fabric! As I clean up the sewing room and try to find more space I will post some pics of it all-yes the avatar is a small section of my fabric stash!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Banned

since I work for a company that estate sales, I can tell you..as part of your estate planning, if you think your family will not know what to do...get with a company now and start going over what will need to be done!

Also go through your stuff...start passing on things NOW...that way you will have a FEEL for who really cares and who could not care less....find a local charity and start working with them to see if really want/need your stuff later on....

OR get off the computer and start using that stuff up..hehehe
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by carleneparice
Alright ladies just leave my name and number for your dh I will take it all off thier hands. lol
hehehe....that works...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:52 AM

My Mom died 11 years ago at a fairly young age(58) but after a long illness 6+ years...we spent a lot of time deciding where her treasurers would go. She put a little note with each item, the key to all this is to have someone you trust to do it. My Mom threatened to haunt me so of course I did what she wanted. hehe It doesn't have to be a morbid thing at all.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 AM

My Dh says he couldn't sell any of my stuff. My daughter thinks I'm becoming a hoarder although a clean & organized one. I keep telling my granddaughter I'm going to teach her to quilt but she has just turned three. I'm hoping if I tell her often enough while she's growing up a bit more that she'll at lest show an interest. I had 3 daughters yet none of them was interested in sewing or craft of any kind. Only started quilting when we lost our youngest. It was something to focus on.
If DGD doesn't show any interest I've told DH & DD to share all my fabric between the children's project I support Project Love & Care and Project Linus.
There is one 3 meter piece that is to go to my BFF. I've already given her 2 meters as a gift.
After that they will have do do some work in selling machines, embroidery threads, cotton thread, and tons of notions. At least they won't forget me in a hurry.
I've also made them very aware that I wish to donate any of my organs that can be used and this is the only reason I can be put on life support. I carry a donor card,(have done for years) and also have it marked on my license.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:06 AM

The older I get the more I realize it's only stuff. Once I am gone what does it matter what happens to it? The things I hope to leave behind to my children are coming true already: they have become people who have honesty, integrity, empathy for others. What better legacy do I have to give?

Oh I have told my daughter she is stuck with all my sewing stuff and the cat. My son gets the dog.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Cyn

I am in the process of just writing down my wishes and I know my family will honor them. :)