Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where will my quilts go? >

Where will my quilts go?

Where will my quilts go?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 AM

Put it in writing....Put it in writing.....Put it in writing....When your time comes....NO ONE is going to remember....I have a clock colletion, on the back of each one is a note as to who it goes to....and in my will, with pictures (so there is no question) who gets what and WHY...also a good time to record the history of items such as this belonged to my great grandfather who fought in WWI, ...etc....Write it Down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:33 AM

My great aunt and uncle worried about this so what they did was put a label with the beneficiary's name on it on the item itself. On the back, etc. where it could be found but not in plain view. It sure did make distributing their things go easier.

I'm only 55 and I'm actually having my girls go through my jewelry and other things and letting them take what they want now. I'm not using it and they might as well be using now. They are very into vintage jewelry so they had a ball going through it. It was really fun. Soon I'm going to dig out my grandmother and great aunt's jewelry and let them at it.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:37 AM

I've already started going thru my things and given some things to my kids that I want to make sure they have. I have a couple of kids that aren't at the right place in thier lives to get things because they wouldn't hold onto them so thier things I'll save. I may not have a lot but I want to know that no one's fighting over my things when I'm gone and that they have the things that I want them to have. I have one daughter so I know she'll take my machine and fabric and she's getting the house but as for other things; I'm trying to take care of that now. This year I'm going thru the photo albums and making copies of all of the photos so that all five kids have thier memories to look at as well. I'm also giving them a CD with the photos on it as well. I'm hoping I have at least another 30 yrs but you just never know. I have comfort when I walk into my oldest son's house and see the things that I gave to him and they are displayed in a protective case so he can enjoy them and keep them safe.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 AM

I've already discussed this with my sons so they know who gets them.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
My Dh says he couldn't sell any of my stuff. My daughter thinks I'm becoming a hoarder although a clean & organized one. I keep telling my granddaughter I'm going to teach her to quilt but she has just turned three. I'm hoping if I tell her often enough while she's growing up a bit more that she'll at lest show an interest. I had 3 daughters yet none of them was interested in sewing or craft of any kind. Only started quilting when we lost our youngest. It was something to focus on.
If DGD doesn't show any interest I've told DH & DD to share all my fabric between the children's project I support Project Love & Care and Project Linus.
There is one 3 meter piece that is to go to my BFF. I've already given her 2 meters as a gift.
After that they will have do do some work in selling machines, embroidery threads, cotton thread, and tons of notions. At least they won't forget me in a hurry.
I've also made them very aware that I wish to donate any of my organs that can be used and this is the only reason I can be put on life support. I carry a donor card,(have done for years) and also have it marked on my license.
My daughter will quilt on a very small scale but her 5yr old son wants to learn and I already have a treadle for him when he's old enough to reach the peddles. He loves the whole quilting thing and this weekend I'm going to show him what my new Ruby embroidery machine will do. He's already seen the Christmas cards that I made on it so when I do the free standing lace this weekend he'll really be amazed. Get to them while they are young.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
I just want to come back as a ghost and listen to the kids as they try to make sense of my mess!!
I agree on this idea too.
Watching their faces and throwing up their hands and saying what was she thing of. :thumbup:
Old 10-25-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltymom
I've already discussed this with my sons so they know who gets them.
But I still strongly suggest to put it in writing.....
Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey
I know this has been talked about before but I think it needs repeating:

The other day my DH and I were talking about updating our will and I asked him what he would do with my quilts when I'm gone. His answered shocked me! I told him I wanted my DD and granddaughters to have my quilts. I guess I need to write down where I want my treasures to go. (Thought he would have known that). This is a conversation I think we all should have with a family member when planning our wills.
Great idea and very neccessary too!
Probably need to ask my DH who gets his tractors and his woodworking tools too.
Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 AM

You know, no one in my family really cares that much for quilts. I've sort of resigned myself that they will eventually find their way to Goodwill. Sad, really, when I would have so loved to have had one of my grandmother's quilts.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by grandjan
You know, no one in my family really cares that much for quilts. I've sort of resigned myself that they will eventually find their way to Goodwill. Sad, really, when I would have so loved to have had one of my grandmother's quilts.
Then say 'thats OK', because some one will rescue them, and will love them. Better that than to go where they will be unloved.....

Do you have a local retirement home, conval or veterans facility.....they would love your quilts...