Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who makes scrappy quilts? >

Who makes scrappy quilts?

Who makes scrappy quilts?

Old 03-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Scrappy is my all time favorite. I host a scrap surprise every spring, this will be about the eighth or ninth year. The controlled scrappy here is one of them.

orphan blocks =scrappy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20221[/ATTACH]

controlled scrappy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20222[/ATTACH]

scrappy log cabin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20223[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-20221.jpe   attachment-20222.jpe   attachment-20223.jpe  
Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

I haven't tried one yet but it's on my list.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:37 PM

I love scrappy. I have been working on 3" square scrappy quilts and I love the look when you don't pay much attention to what goes next to what... Penni
Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 AM

I want to try a scrappy quilt, but am afraid I'll come up with something horrible! I know there are no set rules in scrappy, and I know that we can let our imaginations take over and guide us in the design process... I guess I'll just have to jump in with both feet and try one soon! Love all of your examples btw!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:01 AM

Yes, try - I make scarappy quilts for the nursing homes and it helps me keep some control over fabric in my stash. I think scrappy quits are bright and cheery and I keep them lap size.
Sophie
Old 03-21-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by JulieAnn
Love your scrappy quilts! I just now have been introduced to them. However, I can't seem to get away from the matchy-match thing. Here's a pic. of a matchy, strip quitl I'm working on.
What's this pattern? Beautiful job!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:46 AM

Scrappy is my favorite look. Reminds me of the old fashioned ones that were made by grandma. I'm working on finishing Bonnie Hunter's Carolina Christmas. With over 2,000 pieces,it's taking me a while... Controlled scrappy in that I used reds, greens and neutrals from my stash. For ages, if I saw a fabric I liked, I'd buy a yard of it. Finally that's working out for me - I just cut a strip or two from several.

Check Bonnie's website is http://www.quiltville.com - she has lots of free patterns for scrappy quilts, as well as suggestions for getting to the point where it's easy to use your stash.

For folks having trouble jumping onto the scrappy bandwagon, here's an idea I saw quite a while ago. Take a bag of 2 1/2" squares and shake them up. Put your hand in and take out two of them, sew together. NO PEEKING, just sew whatever you grab. Sew them into 4-patch units, etc. The results were really pretty. This was done in a class, so everyone took a fairly good amount to start with and at the beginning of the day, all were dumped in together, mixed, and everyone got a bag of that mix.

I will admit, I've started stripping my stash (from the above mentioned website) and have been trying to use some 2 1/2" squares as leaders/enders, and sometimes what I grab is just not doing it for me - I can't just let go, have to have some control. I keep trying!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:56 AM

This is a Scrappy Class we did in my Quilting Group. She told us what size squares to cut and we threw them all in a brown grocery bag, mixed them up and just picked a hand full of fabric. Whatever you picked is the fabric you used, you couldn't peek in the bag or exchange fabric. It was fun. I didn't think it was going to turn out nice...but I like it.

Scappy Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20902[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-20902.jpe  
Old 03-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I have made several. In fact I just started another one three days ago. I am using all the brights I can find (or beg from my sister). It is shaping up to be very eye-catching.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM

I love scrappy. I would never be able to use up my leftovers if I didn't do scrappy. It makes all those little pieces good for something.