Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who makes scrappy quilts? >

Who makes scrappy quilts?

Who makes scrappy quilts?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 AM

To get your crazy scraps to go together in a nice arrangment you need lots of lights - they make odd fabrics blend together. I use lots of scrappy lights in my scrap quilts.
May in Jersey
Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 AM

I've been on and off working on my crumb quilt from the Quiltville website. I have the main part completed I'm just working on the borders now. I want to make one border completely of crumbs... I know.. I'm NUTS!!!!

Since I am going to be off this next year on mat leave, I won't have as much mad money for fabrics, so I want to work in my scrap stash to see what I can do with it!!! Scrap quilts are fun to do!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

My avatar picture is a very scrappy quilt. I went through my fabrics and just grabbed pieces and cut strips from them and absent mindily started sewing. I made it for Brother-in-Law and new wife, I didn't know her colors and so I figured this would work. They both love it. I love matchy matchy but, some of my old fabrics don't match some new colors, so scrappy will be lots of mine. I am cutting pieces now for a log cabin.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 AM

I do too.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nita
Originally Posted by brushandthimble
Scrappy is my all time favorite. I host a scrap surprise every spring, this will be about the eighth or ninth year. The controlled scrappy here is one of them.
What do you mean when you say you "host a scrap surprise" every Spring? Is that a class or some type of party? BTW, I just LOVE your quilts, especially the one you have labeled "controlled scrappy"; Who would ever guess that was made from scraps? Gorgeous! I have organized my scraps according to Joan Ford's "Scrap Therapy" (2', 3 1/2", and 5" squares) and am dying to make a quilt out of it. But when I look at my shoeboxes of mis-matched scraps, it is hard to visualize them coming together in a way that is pleasing to the eye. Maybe I need to buy some yardage for sashing strips and cornerstones that will kind of tie everything together, so to speak? Your "controlled scrappy" quilt that I like so much seems to be made from just a few colorways? I don't think I have enough similar colorways to do this.
For a controlled scrappy, chose a multi print fabric that you can use for the border, and pull scarps and FQ's in any and all colors in the "focus fabric". If there is a green for example all the shades of green can be used, they do not have to blend or match. I may limit the number of light/background prints, or you can use one background fabric to help "control". I chose one color in the quilt for the inner border, (contain and frame) the scappy quilt. The outer border is either one fabric (the focus) or pieces left over from other borders. If the border is different fabrics I may use one fabric for the binding, if the border is one fabric I go through my stash of left over bindings and chose ones in colors that are in the quilt. = my controlled scrappy.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 AM

THANK YOU. Very helpful advise on how to go about making a scrappy quilt vs a "crappy" quilt! I think I can do this. So what is the Scrap Surprise that you host every Spring? I love any excuse to get together with my quilty friends and I'm wondering if I want to "host" one of these.

Originally Posted by Nita
Scrappy is my all time favorite. I host a scrap surprise every spring, this will be about the eighth or ninth year. The controlled scrappy here is one of them.
What do you mean when you say you "host a scrap surprise" every Spring? Is that a class or some type of party? BTW, I just LOVE your quilts, especially the one you have labeled "controlled scrappy"; Who would ever guess that was made from scraps? Gorgeous! I have organized my scraps according to Joan Ford's "Scrap Therapy" (2', 3 1/2", and 5" squares) and am dying to make a quilt out of it. But when I look at my shoeboxes of mis-matched scraps, it is hard to visualize them coming together in a way that is pleasing to the eye. Maybe I need to buy some yardage for sashing strips and cornerstones that will kind of tie everything together, so to speak? Your "controlled scrappy" quilt that I like so much seems to be made from just a few colorways? I don't think I have enough similar colorways to do this.
For a controlled scrappy, chose a multi print fabric that you can use for the border, and pull scarps and FQ's in any and all colors in the "focus fabric". If there is a green for example all the shades of green can be used, they do not have to blend or match. I may limit the number of light/background prints, or you can use one background fabric to help "control". I chose one color in the quilt for the inner border, (contain and frame) the scappy quilt. The outer border is either one fabric (the focus) or pieces left over from other borders. If the border is different fabrics I may use one fabric for the binding, if the border is one fabric I go through my stash of left over bindings and chose ones in colors that are in the quilt. = my controlled scrappy.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:25 AM

My "Scrap Surprise"
I chose a pattern that will work with scrappy. I pull FQ's I have had for awhile, maybe 1/2 yards that I don't like anymore, and I purchase scraps all year from my LQS's that vary in size. I try to find a pattern that uses only one or two size cuts. I pre cut all the pieces, for the number of students who come to my scrap surprise class. This is an all day class, for a minimum fee, covers lunch and the pre cut fabrics. The students will need to add additional fabric later to complete the top, ie: maybe sashings, and borders. I do not make any $ on this but do cover my costs.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 AM

Ido! Ido! LOVE a scrappy quilt! no such thing as too many fabrics!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:31 AM

I'm very much a Scrap Quilter person.

Here's one of my earlier scrappy quilts.
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 AM

Here's a couple recent scrap quilts I've done
Attached Thumbnails attachment-23124.jpe   attachment-23125.jpe