Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why did I buy the EQ7? >

Why did I buy the EQ7?

Why did I buy the EQ7?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 AM

I got EQ 7 for Christmas and have enjoying learning how to use it. I have EQ4&5 and did not use them much. I took the book to my Cardio class and read it while riding the bike going nowhere. Them came home and tried what I read. A really good way to get the reading and learning down. Just stick to it and don't give up.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 AM

I bought it as well but took a number of classes from Quilt University.com for a very reasonable price and learned how to use it in a very unconfusing and easy manner. It was wonderful and I use it frequently to make patterns and blocks that I see (often with many differences of my own). I also use it to try out colors before i make something. It is a great tool.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 AM

I have EQ3 and only use it for printing of templates and palying with colour combinations etc. Have never designed a quilt with it.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 AM

I have EQ 5 and the instruction book that came with it. I later purchased another book to explain it. At the time I truly tried to figure it out and was going page by page, I was creating brochures for a business, doing other computer graphics, etc. I was not an expert but not a computer dummy either. I called the EQ people for assistance, etc. They were not very helpful and could not answer my questions.
I never did figure any of it out. Now I've waited long enough that the classes at Quilt University (which sounds like a good solution) use a version (EQ7) that would require me to purchase the entire program...so I am not willing to make that kind of investment...However, if I could buy one at a discount from someone wanting to rid themselves of one they don't use, I might consider making another stab at it.....
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM

I had no problem with EQ5. Most of the drawing tools I was familiar with from using Freehand and Adobe Illustrator.
I also will use Inkscape. The other commands can be confusing since some are different from the standard.

I use 5 to arrange blocks, sections to QAYG, rather than traditional.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 AM

I think the main thing you have forgotten is this - you gifted yourself with the purchase of EQ7 and now you are certainly worth the time to learn the program. I say this as much for you and for myself - I've had the program since early December and haven't even loaded it - I also need to gift myself with the time to load it and learn it. I know I'll love it
once I do. Then when we sit down to "whip" something out, it'll be fun, easy and much less time consuming. I am worth the time and this will be my goal before month's end. I hope you'll give it another chance. I've received alot of
encouragement from reading the first page of posts and I intend to take advantage of the tutorials. Good Luck!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 AM

I have EQ5 and have played with it a couple of time. I did take Rhonda class, but still have trouble with it. I have tried to design a block got the block completed then added the color when I check it out with the color on it only half the design and half of the color was there. I tried it again and again for 3 weeks and the same thing happen again and again, after 3 weeks I give up on it, and have not tried it again
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns View Post
I bought it thinking I could make my own designs/patterns etc... so now I have this program and have NEVER ever made my own pattern yet. It is to confusing I guess...so I just buy patterns and etc.. what a waste.. Have you bought things that turned out to be a waste of money?
I'm with you on the EQ7 program. I bought it before I retired 18 months ago and thought I would learn and enjoy using it. Until now I have had not even looked at it in any great detail. I am going to set aside an hour every day to play with it and who knows I might end up enjoying it like I thought I would when I spent all that hard earned money on it in the first place
Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM

I just printed out all the lessons under "Help" in my EQ7 program and am going thru the lessons. They are extremely helpful.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 PM

I have EQ6 and have played around with it a little. I did take the EQ6 class from Quilt University a couple of years ago, but couldn't keep up because work kept interfering. Now that I've retired, I'm wanting to learn it and maybe eventually upgrade to EQ7. Right now I have the manual right here next to the computer, so I need to practice!
One thing I really want to do is download fabrics from manufacturers, but haven't figured out how to do that. One of these days!