Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why did I buy the EQ7? >

Why did I buy the EQ7?

Why did I buy the EQ7?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 AM

I have EQ5 and an EQ6 update (but never loaded it on). I took a class the Houston Intl. Quilt Festival and that really helped me alot! I would definitely recommend that. I've also used the tutorials and that helps too. Probably don't use it to it's fullest potentional, but it really helped me during bee groups projects like a "row quilt" and applique projects. I have realized that if I don't use it often I forget how to use it so now I just play with it from time to time just to keep my skills up. I hope you will give it another try.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 AM

I think I could travel across the country teaching EQ owners how to use EQ! I wonder if it would work! Luann
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 AM

crafterrn1.... you can start here.... but can I book you for 40 hour weeks for a good month...lol I do love to cook..so I promise you will eat well, I will even let you use my sewing room anytime you want..as I will be on my laptop practicing... (okay...well trying to practice. lol) The strange thing about it...is I am smart about programs and use to make my own spread sheets etc for business type use. BUT...this program...just floors me...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns View Post
I bought it thinking I could make my own designs/patterns etc... so now I have this program and have NEVER ever made my own pattern yet. It is to confusing I guess...so I just buy patterns and etc.. what a waste.. Have you bought things that turned out to be a waste of money?
I bought a Flynn quilting frame. What a waste!
I also bought software to make cross stitch designs and have never used it.
One purchase I am enjoying is the Accuquilt Go!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
I love my EQ and have since EQ4. I use it everyday! That being said why don't you use it? How do you learn? Do you like videos? EQ has many videos in the program and at the Do you eq site. Are you able to follow a book step by step. The directions in the book are the perfect way to learn EQ. I am an instructor as well. I have lessons written for EQ 6 that can be used in EQ 7. I am also writing new lessons for EQ 7. Let me know what you need and what you want to do. The first thing to do in EQ is learn the buttons. What they do and where they are. Once that is done you need to learn how to find blocks in the libraries and how to place them on the quilt layout. Then how to use the tabs at the bottom and how to build your quilts! Sounds like an awful lot to learn. If you use a word program you can learn EQ. If you have played in a drawing program you can learn EQ. Let me know what you need I am here to help! Luann
I also have an EQ 5 and have only used it once. I did like it but it took me so long to figure it out that I haven't used it again. Maybe I'll give it another try. I definitely need some tutorials.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM

I bought it thinking I could make my own designs/patterns etc... so now I have this program and have NEVER ever made my own pattern yet. It is to confusing I guess...so I just buy patterns and etc.. what a waste.. Have you bought things that turned out to be a waste of money?
I wish I lived by you so I could try to help you with EQ7. It is a terrific help and I use it to design all of my quilts. I do think it has a steep learning curve and it took me a while to get the hang of what the term "sketchbook" meant. But, once a few basic are understood the program is fabulous! I do hope you end up loving your software.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 AM

I have EQ7 and can't use it either. Rhonda sent excellent tutorials to me and I still have a learning curve. This software isa wast to me.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM

I bought QuiltPro several years ago an used it a lot, but did not like it as it was limited if you did not start with a quilt of quilt block already in the program. Saw EQ6 demo at Houston a few years ago and was sold that it could do the things I wanted to design my own blocks and unique arrangements etc. The few short comings I found in EQ6 were fixed in EQ7 and I used it all the time! Have so many designs and color arrangements will not be able to actually do them all, but had a great time experimenting! So, yes glad that I bought it! It is a great tool.
And, yes, there are tools that I buy that looked great, but did not seem so great when I tried to used them. I can recall only a very few. Mostly, very useful tools!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 AM

I also have EQ7 and love it. I like the way I can rearrange blocks, change colors, import pictures of my own fabric, add sashing and borders, modify blocks to suit my design, print fabric yardage and templates, etc., etc., etc. I wouldn't want to design a new quilt without it.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM

I bought EQ7 and QP6 and have had QuiltPro since QP4 and much prefer it to EQ. I just automatically go to Quilt Pro when I start to do a pattern for me or for a customer. I have taken numerous lessons and have played with it on my own and I just keep going back to Quilt Pro as I think it is much more user friendly and faster to learn.