Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why did I buy the EQ7? >

Why did I buy the EQ7?

Why did I buy the EQ7?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM

I use EQ7 all the time. Yes it has a steep learning curve. I compare it to Adobe Photo Shop for Quilts.
I got a book called EQ6 Pieced Drawing and it helped alot to learn some of the techniques. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o08_s00_i00
There are actually a couple books by Electric Quilt that could help, don't give up yet!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
I haven't used mine very much, but it is great to play with possibilities. One thing I like it for is the fact that it tells you how much of each fabric to buy. You can recreate existing patterns in EQ, then play with color combinations, etc.
I don't use it much either....I do not design my own patterns, i just go out and buy a book or mag if I see something in either......
as mentioned above I will, if the pattern I have chosen is a bit odd, put it onto eq for enlarging it,if that is what I want to do, and then it will tell me how much fab to buy......most of the patterns I do decide to make from books/mag are not bed size or the ones I like aren't anyway I should say.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns View Post
crafterrn1.... you can start here.... but can I book you for 40 hour weeks for a good month...lol I do love to cook..so I promise you will eat well, I will even let you use my sewing room anytime you want..as I will be on my laptop practicing... (okay...well trying to practice. lol) The strange thing about it...is I am smart about programs and use to make my own spread sheets etc for business type use. BUT...this program...just floors me...
I would love to come out and help you! But lets wait for Spring or Summer! Still dig out of 30 inches of snow here in the NE. Luann
Old 02-14-2013, 02:12 PM

There is a free quilt builder application on a fabric website I like. you may know it, (and just one nut) and it's a lot of fun to play with value combinations.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM

I agree with you on EQ7. I bought it and thought it would be a wonderful program. I have a computer background and thought it would be a breeze. It's confusing and I just didn't want to spend then time trying to figure it out. I thought the videos were not helpful, so I sold it.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by laurafet View Post
I wanted EQ7 in the worst way, but could not justify the price. I watch Craigs List for people cleaning out their stash, and about a year ago I hit on a lady around the corner from me that had her entire room over her garage she was getting rid of- fabric, templates, books, magazines, etc. Looking through all the books in one cabinet, there was the EQ5 UNOPENED! I asked her how much and she said $2.00. I gave her the opportunity to change her mind knowing what she had paid for it. Nope, I could have it. One of the many bargains I walked out with that day! I love it for playing around, but have not actually printed anything out yet. Good for the creative juices though!
Lucky find! I also have an old copy of EQ5 - wish I could afford to update it to 7 (found EQ5 and Sew Precise at a thrift store for $30). I really like designing my quilts and seeing what the fabric combinations will look like together. (I photograph my own fabrics and import them to use in my EQ projects) I've changed my mind a few time after I saw what it looked like. Anyone who wants to sell their copy of EQ7 - let me know!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 AM

Probably the same reason I bought EQ5. lol Some day maybe.....
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 AM

I would LOVE the opportunity to purchase EQ from one of you who really don't want or plan to use it!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mythreesuns View Post
I bought it thinking I could make my own designs/patterns etc... so now I have this program and have NEVER ever made my own pattern yet. It is to confusing I guess...so I just buy patterns and etc.. what a waste.. Have you bought things that turned out to be a waste of money?
Keep at it, once you learn it, you will like it. I have EQ5.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 AM

Sign up for the class at Quilt University. It makes all the difference to go through the classes. I love it and recently purchased Block Base and the book EQ with Me: Pieced Drawing to work through. This program is really powerful, it's worth the investment in some classes to learn how to use it.