Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM

MrsPete: What type of dog is shown in your pic? So cute!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM

I go to JoAnns for the bins and organizers and tools, using their coupons, of course. Also get books. Our JoAnn's honors Michael's coupons, too. A real plus!

Most of the gals are really nice and helpful, although I don't see them as quilters, more as crafters and general sewers.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 AM

Joanne's is about 30 minutes away. I recently shopped there because we were in the area. I had no coupons but was looking for some yarn and sewing gadgets. When I took my purchases to the check out, the clerk asked if I wanted to sign up for email promotions which I did and when I checked out, she used several promotion coupons which saved me a total of $10.00. I don't shop there that often because of the distance. I usually get fabric from Walmart--my store has kept their fabric--and since I make a lot of charity quilts, the cheaper prices make it more affordable to make more quilts. The Joanne's in my area has a lot of older gals who are very helpful. Guess it just depends on who is willing to work in that area.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 AM

I very seldom go to Joann's, for all of the above reasons. But in my opinion the bottem line is this. No matter where you work, no matter how much you make, when you commit to any job, it should be with the intention to do your best and be your best. A good attitude and good manners should not have to be "trained". The problem is that to many businesses have gotten the idea that they are doing us a favor by selling to us instead of the other way around. WE are the ones spending the money. WE are keeping them going and paying all of their wages. When WE decide that we are no longer going to give them our money, maybe they will get the idea that things need to change.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 AM

With several heart warming exceptions, I think we've pretty thoroughly trashed JoAnn's stores. Some of us have only JoAnn's in which to shop for sewing notions, etc., or must shop on-line. I am one of those people, so am really grateful that I've not ever been treated badly or carelessly at my local JoAnn's.

Except once in a while when I become incensed by something I read on this QB, I am never rude nor unkind to people and I don't like being treated rudely or unkindly. It only takes one time and one employee to treat me badly in a store and I never go back. I shop in several grocery stores on the dreaded grocery shopping day. One of them from whom I bought most of my groceries for more than 2 decades, started replacing their experienced cashiers, etc. with youngsters. I have no problem with their age, but they all came with an "attitude". The first one who spoke to me as though I were a complete idiot was the last employee to speak to me in that store because I have not been back since that day ... several years ago now.

A grocery store 1 block away from that one also hires youngsters; they are all great ... if I ask them a question and they don't know the answer, they will go find out the answer. Overall, I probably pay more at that store, but it's worth it!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Oh yes, A good attitude and good manners should not have to be "trained". Totally agree with this point. I also have ended up leaving a place not to return because of attitude given. Although now before I do so I make sure the management knows why I will not return. Had problems with Whole foods once (my very favorite place to grocer shop at). After talking with the management I felt that things changed and was a happier customer thus they can change anywhere if you talk with the right people ;)
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM

I have never been to my local Joannes.. It is on the other side of town and I have a Hancocks Fabrics close by. They always have great sales. My problem...I go in for a couple spools of thread and end up with $50 (or more) of fabric also.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 AM

I know how many of you feel when dealing with the employees at Joanns. I have had the same type of treatment at WM. I refuse to shop there anymore. However, I love my Joann's. The staff is helpful and friendly. I love using my coupons and I always get help when I need it. So, for me, Joann's ROCKS! Besides, I don't have anywhere else to shop for fabric. Not aware of any LQS's and again, due to rediculously bad service, I haven't shopped in a WM in years. I don't care how convenient they are. I am visually impaired and I have a seeing eye dog and on more occasions than I care to count I have been treated horribly by WM. On the other hand, when I walk into Joann's with my dog, they bend over backwards to help me out. Thanks Joann's!
Doug in Akron, Ohio
Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Schnookie
Oh yes, A good attitude and good manners should not have to be "trained". Totally agree with this point. I also have ended up leaving a place not to return because of attitude given. Although now before I do so I make sure the management knows why I will not return. Had problems with Whole foods once (my very favorite place to grocer shop at). After talking with the management I felt that things changed and was a happier customer thus they can change anywhere if you talk with the right people ;)
I totally agree re: telling Management! However, in the store of which I wrote, poor management was a big part of the problem. All the "good guys" were gone, probably to the newer, more upscale store of the same chain just a few miles away.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM

I guess I am one of the lucky ones or i just don't expect as much as others. I tend to watch when they are cutting and if I want the last of the bolt I speak up and say so. I have messed up on some of the coupons because I didn't look at them go enough before I left home and see that they were only good for certain days. I usually have had very good service, with few exception, like the other day you could sure tell that girl did not want to be there. I have bad days myself. Lots of the younger girls that work there are college kids and need the money. If I come on a little strong it is because we all need (myself included) to realize that we all have bad days and try to be more accepting of others, but if you have a very real problem about your bill then you should make sure they get it right. I have had to do that a few times. The last time I vented like that was at a Wal-mart Pharmacy where it made the second time that it had taken me two hours to get a prescription fill and one of them they wasn't able to fill it. I wasn't very nice.