Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts? >

Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts?

Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts?

Old 06-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
I love yellow and blue and my favorite yellow is fairy frost sunshine...
Can you let us see a pic of the fairy frost sunshine? Please, it sounds so pretty.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
a bit of trivia about yellow in quilts. I was speaking to a quilt group in the area and was asked by one of the members if any yellow quilt entered in a show won a ribbon. She said a certified judge told her this. I was stumped and said "not to my knowledge" Used well it does add a sparkle to a quilt.
GREAT IDEA!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio
My first quilt was a blue/yellow log cabin. I was really off the wall and wanted to do scrappy and sometimes I felt like I had 3 heads because of that. A lqs person told me to be careful with yellows, it would overwhelm the quilt. I didn't listen to her, I thought it would be gorgeous. It was, in my opinion. I have it put away, but this is what I did with the extra blocks & towels for the bedroom.
I always use yellow and look for it everytime I shop. Bonnie Hunter has a stunning quilt in her book. It''s made with 1 1/2" strips that are cut up and re arranged, but yellow and red are her WOW colors in a dark quilt, with some other lights. It's called Perikonean Dreams. On my bucket list.
Judi

GREAT IDEA, JUDI!

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Have noticed that yellow is not a very popular color for quilts. Is there a specific reason for this? It's cheerful, happy and sunny.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:10 PM

I attended a lecture by a well known quilter, I can't remember who it was, but most of you would know her.

She started her trunk show with a few quilts that had yellow in them, saying that it was difficult to use yellow cuz it immediately drew the eye to the color/part of the quilt. She showed several examples of yellows in beautiful quilts and she was right, the yellow was distracting.

Altho she did show 1 or 2 examples of great quilts that yellow worked in.

I find that yellow can add a bit of spark making a quilt sparkle and shine, but it has to be used sparingly.

Of course if you are making a quilt almost entirely of yellow or in equal amounts of color with it, I think that is a different story. Then it is a yellow quilt.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:18 PM

I love your face photo of quilt pattern , do you have the pattern or know who's it is?Hope you can give it to me. Please :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:22 PM

:oops: Holice: do you have the pattern or know who does. Of you photo? Love it. Could you let me have a copy or who's it is? PLEASE :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-03-2011, 03:22 PM

:oops: Holice: do you have the pattern or know who does. Of you photo? Love it. Could you let me have a copy or who's it is? PLEASE :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-03-2011, 03:33 PM

I use yellow all the time in my quilts. I like it!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 PM

Here is a picture of one of my favorite log cabin quilts I did quite a few years ago. I love when spring comes and I put it back on the bed, it cheers me up every time I go in.

Yellow & Red Log cabin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206233[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206227.jpe  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:43 PM

I think a quilter has to take in mind the personality of the user of the quilt and also the dominate color of the room the quilt will go in.Some people like brite colors but others favor more muted colors. I love the color yellow but I use it sparingly unless it is for a child.