Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Worst Quilt Contest Entries. >

Worst Quilt Contest Entries.

Worst Quilt Contest Entries.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:06 PM

I'm an untrained eye when it comes to quilting since I just started and I hope my first one will turn out better or I might just send it there, too. :P

As for shows, like any other art and craft, one has to do research to be sure they are submitting their piece(s) to a credible gallery. However, one cannot shoot for the star right off and lesser gallery or high risk galleries are sometimes a place to start perhaps even including a worst quilt contest. :)
Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 PM

I am a firm believer in the statement, "If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at others". I can laugh at others cuz I do laugh at myself alot. I know I make mistakes, and we all here share our stories for fun and learning. I was sooooo overly critical of myself I seldom could finish for reverse sewing. Till here, and all the advice I gained. No I speak of my own faults, and expect others to laugh at stories. If they put them in ugly contest, others have already told them what we are saying.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:38 PM

I enjoyed this 'awful' quilt show. However, on looking further into Ami's topics I found a site called AlzQuilts.org. This organization is fighting this disease with quilt auctions and is also asking for purple fabric donations for some quilts they are making for research. They are asking for purples (solid, print, dark, or light pieces) They also have small quilts that can be purchased and are also looking for small quilt donations. Most look to be about 9 by 12 inches.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Oh oh oh!!! That is the funniest stuff I have seen in a long time! LOVED the snarky comments by the judges!!! Seriously hysterical! Thank you for posting this! I'm still laughing!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by trolley station
However, on looking further into Ami's topics I found a site called AlzQuilts.org.
I think a lot of the quilts are texturally interesting to keep the patients enganged. (Corduroy, wool, shiny stuff, etc.) Alzheimer's is such a scary disease.

As far as the entries to the Ugly Contest. I can imagine that the people who enter the contest have a sense of humor and are not tied to ego.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:46 PM

I love this site. I now feel a little less embarrassed by my first attempts at quilting.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:46 PM

:D :D :D I had forgotten how crazy that sit was. I love Ami Simms she is a nut that can make fablous quilts. I still laughed till I cried. LOL Mom thought I was loosing my mind then she gets out of her lift chair (I should have taken a picture of this) and when I looked over she was at the front door tending to her dog--but the chair was up as high as it would go. It LOL looked like a dump truck from the back. I got so tickled again I couldn't even tell her she needed to get the control buttons and let the chair back down. At the time I was viewing the quilt that had the shrinking middle. :lol: :oops: :P Oh well got my laughs for the day.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 AM

ROFL!!! These are great--I really laughed at the famous quilter's entry. Not at the quilt but that he--JF--would enter one. Now that shows the spirit of those that enter! We can laugh with not at those that enter.

My ugly is all polyester ('70's pants fab I bought to make Mom pants). A couple of years ago I made The Beast, all squares, no batting, poly on both side, and heavy. My purpose is strictly as a camp quilt. Air mattresses get cold in the night air and my ugly quilt solves the "I'm freezing" problem.

I love the bread wrapper batting. This reminds me of a quilt made for a raffle by the Ladies Club (in community I grew up in). They worked hard making a double bed size quilt entirely of triangles. I can't remember the size (it was many, many years ago), but I would guess between 4-6 inches. Get ready, here comes the good part. Each triangle was stuffed with --and not loosely--not using polyfill---but nylon stockings!! Are you laughing yet? That baby was so heavy one person could hardly lift it!!!! Of course the winner, who wasn't in the ladies club, didn't know the weight of the thing until he/she received it. I can just imagine getting under that thing and not being able to move!! LOL At least it would keep you warm in those cold winter nights in the north!! BTW--can you imagine how long those ladies saved their stockings? Perhaps they got some from relatives.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM

:-) :-) :-) kd124 I can relate to your story. When I found out my oldest son was getting married to the sweetest girl in the world (she's our girl to this day) I was into crocheting. So I make them this queen size "granny square" afghan. They were married the end of June (boy was it hot that day)
by the time winter came around I had it done. They used it as they were living in the Baptist Student Union Apartment at the collage they were going to and that place was cold. Their only complaint --we can't turn over in bed, but we stay warm! :-) :-) June the 29th they will be married 18 years and they still have the afghan upstairs in the guest bedroom as a bedspread. The funny part is I made that silly thing right under their noses, and it never entered their minds I was making something for them. The collage is only 10 miles from us, so they spent a lot of time at our house during the collage years.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:27 PM

:-) :-) :-) kd124 I can relate to your story. When I found out my oldest son was getting married to the sweetest girl in the world (she's our girl to this day) I was into crocheting. So I make them this queen size "granny square" afghan. They were married the end of June (boy was it hot that day)
by the time winter came around I had it done. They used it as they were living in the Baptist Student Union Apartment at the collage they were going to, and that place was cold. Their only complaint --we can't turn over in bed, but we stay warm! :-) :-) June the 29th they will be married 18 years and they still have the afghan upstairs in the guest bedroom as a bedspread. The funny part is I made that silly thing right under their noses, and it never entered their minds I was making something for them. The collage is only 10 miles from us, so they spent a lot of time at our house during the collage years.