Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated? >

Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated?

Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 AM

My DD taught my 2 DGDs that to use Nana's scissors (the good ones or the not so good ones doesn't matter) carries with it a sentence of 'whatever Nana feels like imposing today, for life'. So they don't bother to use them. And, buying them each 2 pairs of cheapo scissors with handles in their favorite colors has helped.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 AM

My son used them as a screw driver once...never again. All the kids learned never to touch my scissors.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Cutting roofing tar paper. Xmas came with a warning.....
If you love your fingers, do not touch Mommy's scissors. They asked for years"May I cut this fabric with YOUR good scissors PLeeeeeeeeeeease. "
Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 PM

a landlady used my good ones to cut wallpaper, I could have seriosly hurt someone, yes I had left them out in plain sight. LOL
Someone mentioned they are only scissors, it took me MANY years before I had the $ to replace that pair, that never really worked after cutting wall paper.

My kids and DH were always taught which was which, and I don't think they ever used my good ones. If they had orange handles they could use them; otherwise don't touch:)
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM

my son, the one with the limp, trimmed his grungy flip flops. my daughter, the one with three fingers missing, trimmed her nails, she was running away so fast i couldn't catch any toes. my son, the artist, is blind in one eye--don't ask! my dh will be out of jail in 5-10 if he signs the pledge and never transplants another tree. ah, the wonders of a good lawyer who quilts, and a judge who sews! i was awarded total custody of the good shears for life.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Wire, linoleum, cardboard, flowers----anything that you can cut. I finally quit spending big bucks on them because they never seemed to be a way to keep them away from kids or hubby. I think I could now but just gave up!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM

the poor soul who had callouses trimmed with her fabric shears has my heartfelt sympathy. i worked in a coffee bar in a bookstore and looked over at a customer who had taken off his shoes and socks and was trimming his toenails in the restaurant. thank goodness he brought his own cutting tools! i have never been more grossed out!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 PM

Pain of death to anyone who touches mine, and then I dropped them on the floor and they are out of true, but I have Ginghers that I can't bear to use because they are so lovely = I just take them out and look at them. Especially as the came from USA.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:59 PM

not scissors but my sister's dh used her rotary cutter to cut pizza - he said he couln't find the actual pizza cutter
Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 PM

teen son tried to undo a phillips head screw with the tip of a blade and snapped it right off. No new shoes for him!