Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would I be nuts if? >

Would I be nuts if?

Would I be nuts if?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 AM

The first quilt I tied. Then I stitched in the ditch for the second one on my machine. I finally got the nerve to do a hand quilting one. I'd always wanted to try one cause that's how my GM and GAs did it. I can always say I did one by hand but alas for me, never again. I could never get my stitches even enuf and for me, it was too slow.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:24 AM

Go ahead and do it! There's something amazingly satisfying about hand quilting.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:15 PM

Oh yes! you should try it ! I love to hand quilt while I 'watch' t.v. listen is more like it.the first thing I hand quilted was a twin, while my daughter was pregnant. It took me about 60 hours to do it. I still love the stitching, althoughI'm not that crazy about the colors in that quilt any longer.Start on something small, see if you like the tecchnique. then go for it. One of the great things about handquilting is,,, you can start another top while you're finishing that one!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Power Poster

i think everyone should 'try' to hand quilt at least one of their quilts...that being said...a small one to start may be the best idea, it is very time consuming and takes practice. if you start small there is a better chance of finishing it. some people take to it like fish in water, others decide it's just 'not my thing' so, if you start with something small by the time you finish it you will know if you want to always have a hand quilting item going or if one was enough...good luck :D
Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 AM

I love to handquilt - have never done a machine quilt - it's funny to see so many people 'braving' the handquilting. That's the way I feel about machine quilting - just haven't 'braved' it yet. :lol:
I use a metal thimble on my right middle finger (to the point that I have found myself leaving the house with it still on my finger!!) and nothing on my left (under the quilt hand) - as I want to be able to feel the needle coming through.
I use a handquilting thread. The brand/weight depends on the look I want.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 AM

don't forget thread detangler of your choice. i have used even a birthday candle. and i liked a leather finger on the left hand. then GO FOR IT. my grandma (and me) made their own quilt frame out of l x 3's, padded and leaders put on and 4 C claps. the sides are the same, i made mine about l and 1/2 ft. long. pin your quilt on, roll it, then stretch and clamp. put across 2 chairs, or table and chair, and wally, sit and quilt and take up half the living room. your husband will love you. yrs ago wal-mart sold pvc pipey frames that were nice also. about 3 x 4 work area. everyone has their favorite frame, from big to small.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 AM

Just pile it on your lap, tuck a kitty underneath if you have one. You can stencil a design or go free hand. Theres something so relaxing about this. Try straw needles, I just did somehow they work better...and no they're not like straw...relax enjoy :D
Old 11-22-2009, 06:28 AM

sure do it make it work and show us pics :!: :wink:
Old 11-22-2009, 06:33 AM

I like that idea alot! Will Do, thanks
Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 AM

I love to hand quilt -- I think you will too! :D :D