Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would I be nuts if? >

Would I be nuts if?

Would I be nuts if?

Old 11-22-2009, 07:24 AM

If you are not in a hurry to finish the quilt, absolutely!! I used to hand quilt with a church group and really enjoyed it. My mom still hand quilts in front of the television. Go for it!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:47 AM

thanks, no hurry on the quilting. I like the idea of being snuggled under it while I hand quilt it. I am going to attempt it anyway. love the house pic
Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
My favorite quilts are the ones I hand quilted. Even did meandering by hand on a table runner one time. I chuckle whenever I look at that one.

I have to have something in the evenings during the winter as I like spending time in the same room as DH and he won't come near the sewing room most days! So I sit in the LR and we chat and watch TV while I quilt. Picture of domestic bliss ! LOL
Just curious........do you have conversation OR do you chat and he FLIPS CHANNELS? :lol: IMHO, the channel-flipping drives me nuts!! :roll:
Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Loretta,
I've never heard of that tip before...thanks,
lots2do
Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 AM

oops, I apologize.
I didn't realize there was more than one page to this thread and posted a comment to Loretta's about have a long arm quilter baste it for you.
Still like that idea though! lol,
lots2do
Old 11-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

So many awesome suggestions and tips!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
thanks, no hurry on the quilting. I like the idea of being snuggled under it while I hand quilt it. I am going to attempt it anyway. love the house pic

Thanks! I love my house!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:26 AM

Im a hand quilter :)

I used to use the planks and roll it, but I found it difficult to find a comfy chair.
I am ALMOST done with a king size quilt that I have been doing in a 17x17 Qsnap frame, I put the bulk of the quilt on a dining chair then I sit on the couch with the back of the chair face me and use the chair to prop up my frame so I can see what Im doing and have pleanty of room to move it around, and space underneath for my hands.

Use some heavily coated thread! the stronger the thread the easier it goes, less tangles.

I mostly watch history channel, last month PBS had a national parks special that was 16 hours total that I recorded and plan to watch while quilting :) and then there is Survivor :D .....

Happy Quilting
Old 11-26-2009, 06:55 AM

You will either love to hand quilt or hate it. Either way, you can do it. I'm betting you will love to hand quilt and the satisfaction of a job well done.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:27 PM

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving day!

It will be awhile before I attempt to hand quilt, I got to get the sashing and borders on first! I am slow on this one, uninterreupted time I am hoping for after the holidays to get going on this. I have a baby quilt to make too, that might be a great one to try and hand quilt even. I got the leather thimble so I am good to go there!
Knot sew: That is my game plan to pile it all in my lap and see how that works for me!

Gail G:Yes, we have conversation quite a bit while he is flipping channels, he flips the channels til about 10.p.m. Then he gives me the remote and wonders why I don't go to bed at a decent time! My time to watch tv while am surfing too. I just thought I won't be able to surf and hand quilt at the same time.hmmm

sewNso : What do you mean thread detangler? like wax you would use for embrodiery thread to it goes thru smoother? Also, do you use just regular cotton thread?