Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you have said something????????? >

Would you have said something?????????

Would you have said something?????????

Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM

I have never been able to keep my mouth shut. I'd have spoken up.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 PM

I have never been able to keep my mouth shut. I'd have spoken up.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:22 PM

First, let me say that it would have been nice if you had said something, but don't beat yourself up over it. I probably would have not said anything either, and as little as I know about sewing, I would have realized that she didn't have enough material.

Now, about the girl who was doing the cutting....she may have been filling in for someone else. I worked at Walmart years ago, and I knew how to use all the devises that make labels, and those lovely price tickets that they attach to fabrics. I can tell you what I really knew about fabrics would have fit in one of the plastic thimbles, and the day the called me and said to go back to fabrics for an hour to cover a lunch....I told them they had to be nuts. I knew NOTHING about working with fabrics. I spent 12 years working as a doctor's tech, could take your blood pressure, check your eyes, make your glasses (actually MAKE THEM), but advise you on fabric? NO WAY.

Fat lot of good that did, because I ended up back there cutting fabric. Hopefully everyone who came in that day knew exactly what they were doing, because I had no clue. However, I do guarantee not one of them got shorted on yardage, lol. Just in case my cutting lacked finesse, I made sure they all got a bit extra.

So maybe next time you hear that kind of conversation, think that maybe the person doing the cutting just got dragged out of the cash office to cover a lunch hour, and butt in...nicely, of course.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Bev

I think I'd have stopped the cutter from cutting and explained to the woman why she'd need more fabric. Why not help out a fellow sewer? You owe nothing to the clerk OR the store. But that's just the kind of buttinski I am. Maybe/probably you're not. Oh well, too late now. 8-)
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM

I have found out if you start up a conversation about the fabric she is going to buy. Like how pretty and what is she going to use the fabric for and so on. If this is taken well then you can add your 2 cents on the extra fabric needed. You might need to include the employee in the conversation so they don't go ahead & cut the fabric before it's to late.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by marthe brault-hunt
Count me in as a big mouth! Most stores have a simple requirement i.e. to convert as an example 3/4 to .75 so they can prepare the sale slip for the cash if they don't have a scanner to do it, The clerks are paid minimum wages would the store ask for sewing knowledge, it would become a specialized job which would mean higher salary to pay for the owner of the store. The unknown rule is that the store is not responsible for information given by a clerk to a customer because this is outside of their job definition, Going back to the post , the clerk was there to cut exactly what the young girl ordered, The clerk that ask you questions is doing it on her own!
I was in Walmart, paying for blank cds, when a woman walked up to the register and asked for some one to help her with yarn for an afghan. They sent over the lady that works in crafts. Being nosy, lol, I pushed my cart over to see what advise she was giving her. Turned out, she had no real knowledge of yarns, and between them, they were stumped. The woman buying the yarn was picking it up for someone else who had given her vague information on how much to get for an afghan for a patient in a nursing home. It needed to cover his bed. No measurements, of course. No ideas on color, kind, amount.

I had been crocheting for years, and have made many afghans. I helped the customer select a nice soft yarn, the hook, a simple pattern, explained about dye lots, and how some yarns don't require you to check that all the dye lot numbers are the same. She left happy, and the associate was happy to have had the help. So much in fact, that any time I want something from that area, she will go the extra mile to see if it is available in the store, either on the shelves or in the back. Big box stores and a lot of these other places we go do not train their people that end up in the areas they work.

I was in JoAnn's last weekend, and the woman who cut my fabric probably knew less about yardage than I do...and that's saying a lot, lol.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 PM

I also would have said something, probably to the customer. I would have told them that I do alterations and window treatments and may have gotten a new customer, it happened several times to me in JoAnns. But, it's sad that now there won't be enough fabric to make the curtains.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 PM

I always seem to be striking up conversations and offering my opinion...another teacher with the "helper" syndrome. Mostly people are happy to get help if offered in a friendly way.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 PM

Sounds like the first curtains I made. They had a nice header and ruffles all around. When I hung them, they were 6 inches too short. I measured the window, not from the curtain rod. We had to pick out the header and add a new header, it was barely noticeable that the fabric didn't match.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 PM

I probably would have spoke up. with cost of fabric anymore she needed more help than she was getting