Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket? >

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket?

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:43 PM

If you charge less, people will buy more. It's a sublimninal thing. A dollar apiece with 6 for $5. Sell more tickets and take in more money IMHO.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 PM

a couple of places in our area routinely sell tickets for $5-----but they only sell a set amount of tickets. if you sell 200 tickets, they have a really good chance of winning.
and you know how much money you will make($1,000)-- of course, you have to sell those 200 tickets. 200 at $2 yields $400---you still have to sell the 200 tickets! depends on how much time & energy you have to do the job. and I agree with several others---it has to be a well-done quilt.
good luck !
Old 10-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
That would depend on the area where you are trying to sell.
More depressed areas, cheaper tickets. More affluent areas, higher prices.
This is kinda along the line I was thinking, who is your target purchaser? Are you just selling to people from church and family memebers? Are you setting up a booth at a store or bazzar, are you going door to door to try and sell? I would keep it affordable in this days econemy and will probably sell more tickets. If you set up a table make sure you use lots of signage so they know what the money is being used for, if possible have your daughter there. Talk about what they will be doing there, ect. Good luck , I hope you do well whatever price you decide on.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:56 PM

$6. for r in my area too,Yuma,Az
Old 10-06-2011, 02:15 PM

I definitely would. I am in the process of making one they are going to charge $20 for each ticket with a limit of 100 tickets.... I have been told very often - it's what the market will bear. Good luck and look forward to seeing your quilt!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:20 PM

I agree with lots of the comments so far.

Personally, being on a fixed income, $5 a ticket would be a bit steep for me and I would decline. If it were 3 for $5, I would feel my chances were improved to win, tho I guess they would pretty much remain the same if everyone bought 3 tickets for $5.

I would buy 3/$5, not $5 for one. Even if I knew it was a great cause and the quilt was 'to die for'. Over all these years, I've purchased lots of tickets and haven't won a single quilt.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:37 PM

Someone may already have said this, but here goes anyway!

I think a number of people would balk at five bucks. BUT... if you sell them for, let's say $3 or two for $5, all you have done is given them the perspective of having more chances to win.

It's kind of a mind game with the pricing, because in reality only one person is going to win anyway. All you are doing is spending more on the tickets (peanuts.)

If I was on the ticket buying end and I knew it was for a mission trip, I might even throw an extra five or ten in the bucket just because.

When we run raffles at our elementary school, people often throw extra cash in.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM

I've never bought a raffle ticket for a quilt for more than $1 each. I attended the Mid-Atlantic Quilt show in Hampton Roads VA this spring, and just attended the Quilt show at Dulles Expo Center. None of the quilt groups sell their quilt raffle tickets for more than that. Cabin Branch Quilt group was raffling a quilt at the Dulles Show at $1 a ticket and donating the proceeds to Wounded Warriors. Another point to remember, give yourself time to sell the tickets. Most raffles sell for about six months before the drawing. The drawing for the tickets I bought at the Dulles show from the Cabin Branch group will be held on March 11, 2012. Another group that I bought tickets from in February at Hampton Roads won't draw until December 5, 2011.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Suzanne, I would definitely pay $5 for a raffle ticket. It's about the cause not the item that inspires one to buy rafflet tickets.

Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT
I'm in the process of making a queen sized log cabin quilt with all Moda fabrics (Kansas Troubles) to raffle off for a fundraiser.

This will be the only thing raffled off and I am wondering how much to charge per ticket. I know I have bought tickets in the past that were like $2/each or 3 for $5, but am wondering what others out there pay.

This is for a mission trip that my daughter is going on with a group of students from Liberty University. It is expensive and we need to make as much as possible.

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket? I'm thinking we could do $5/each or 3 for $10. I know personally I would pay that much for a ticket on a quilt that I loved (and also for a cause that I supported), but don't want to set this price if it is a really bad idea.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:11 PM

When I donate a quilt for fundraising, I usually tell the organizers how much the market value would be. So if you sell the tickets for $5 each, one lucky winner will own a $200 (?) quilt for just $5. I know I would pay for as much as $15 specially if it's for a good cause.