Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you? >

Would you?

Would you?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
I know he would have the contacts and be doing the selling, but isn't that money split a little lopsided? I would think after expenses, you should get more than 50% because you are the one creating ~ just my opinion... like the singing star who gives 15% to their manager, the singer is the talent.
Maybe. But consider from his side that his money is invested with her so there is an element of financial risk to him, and his money could be earning interest if he still had it. He also gets to do the legwork of advertising, working with buyers (and presumably businesses), handling queries and financial transactions... All this in one person, which is not equivalent to a singer's manager or agent; once the singer pays the manager/agent, the promoter, the buyer, the record label, the manufacturer and all the other costs of doing business, that's a heck of a lot more than the 15% for the agent.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:15 AM

You should make sure that this guy has a retail wholesale license and you may need to get one as well as a manufacture. Taxes need to be paid either way. There is more to it than you think to the partner ship and it is best to consult with a tax accountent on your behalf so you don't end up oweing money that you can't afford.

I had a partnership with someone and ended up paying 2,000.00 in back taxes and my partner cut out on me.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 AM

Go for it ! What do you have to lose ? If someone would make me that offer I know I would try. I'm trying to get in with some folks to do custom sewing; clothes, draperies, home decor, etc.....I too am retired and live on a limited income and really need a little extra.

Again, go for it !
Old 08-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a great idea to me. Don't expect to get paid for your time, since you would probably be making quilts anyway. If you get too greedy it won't work.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 AM

Who's going to do the sales? Where? and all the other questions already posted. A contract is really necessary spelling out everything. You could have fun, but don't want to wear yourself out either. Best of luck!!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
What a wonderful testament to your skills. One word of caution, though...are you sure you want to make a hobby into a "have-to"? That's been known to take a lot of the fun out of what you do. Other than that, this does sound like it might be a opportunity worth exploring. Please keep us posted.
I used to crochet a lot - turned into a little cottage industry. I HATED to do that crochet. Took the fun right out of it.

Also, if he pays for material and your contribution is time how are you compensated if he never sells a quilt. He'll have the quilt and you'll have made it for free.

Hate to be a cynic but usually when something sounds too good to be true - it is.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Maybe you can give him samples of the type of quilts you would be willing to make and come up with a fixed price your time/labor and the fabric cost involved in the quilt. That way he will have an idea of what he needs to "market" the quilts and you don't have to stress yourself out creating one of a kind items for non-quilters who don't understand how much time is involved.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 AM

Let's just put a little math to it. Let's say you can make one baby quilt a week. That's 40 hours and you really should make minimum wage. So that's 290.00. Plus the cost of fabric, batting and thread. Quilt shop fabric is running at least $10 a yard these days and a baby quilt should take around 3.5 to 4 yards of fabric and we'll add another $20 for the batting and thread. So that's $60 dollars for materials cost plus your $290. for labor. So your baby quilt is already up to $350. And he hasn't added his cut yet.

That's way too expesive for a baby quilt so the cost needs to be cut. Guess what gets cut? Labor costs.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

What is he expecting a quilt to sell for? I am thinking he has no idea the cost of quality fabric, batting, thread, or even the cost of a professional long arm. What if the venture doesn't bring in enough to cover his expenses? then what? This can become very sticky. I would have everything in writing before jumping in with both feet.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:08 AM

I say GO FOR IT....and I agree with the other comments go slow....