Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would your stash make the floor cave in? >

Would your stash make the floor cave in?

Would your stash make the floor cave in?

Old 10-20-2010, 03:20 PM
np3
Power Poster

Oh my, that is funny!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM

I'm sure I don't have as much as that woman's but it is a concern of mine cuz my sewing studio is on the second floor and my 4x8 ft sewing table is awfully heavy all by itself, then fabric etc. It has crossed my mind.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 10-20-2010, 04:06 PM

I have a fair stash, but nowhere near enough to collapse the floor. I feel for the woman who had to explain to her husband what happened. I'd also like to be there to help her thin it out to prevent another collapse.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
I was recently at a discount store in my area called Marden's. Most fabric is about $2.99/yard and they have great stuff. The manager of the fabric department is a friend of mine (as most fabric dept. workers know me by name!) and was telling me about a woman who shops there frequently. VERY frequently. Her sewing room was in an upstairs bedroom above her living room. One day she came home and her sewing room was IN her living room. The floor could not support the weight of all the fabric she had and it caved in!

Would your stash cave your floor in? I keep mine divided in enough places so that it won't!
Not mine I have very little but thanks for the laugh!
:lol: :lol:
Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
I was recently at a discount store in my area called Marden's. Most fabric is about $2.99/yard and they have great stuff. The manager of the fabric department is a friend of mine (as most fabric dept. workers know me by name!) and was telling me about a woman who shops there frequently. VERY frequently. Her sewing room was in an upstairs bedroom above her living room. One day she came home and her sewing room was IN her living room. The floor could not support the weight of all the fabric she had and it caved in!

Would your stash cave your floor in? I keep mine divided in enough places so that it won't!
Not mine I have very little but thanks for the laugh!
:lol: :lol:
Old 10-20-2010, 05:09 PM

mine did. that's why i quilt in the basement.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 PM

I knew when I saw "Marden's" you had to be from Maine!
My gf worked at the one in Portland,which they recently closed after being there for 20 plus yrs!
And my sister lives in Auburn,I moved from Portland,down to Charlottesville,Va..area..16yrs ago....
I can't believe the stash was so heavy for the floor and it caved in! LOL,but it's not really funny..I can only imagine..
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Wow that house must have been in really bad shape structurally, it might be possible - but more likely the joists were already failing, rotted or damaged by termites etc
I have a one story on a conc slab so no worries there ... but my Closet shelves could give way someday !!
Not necessarily. Sometimes, they just fail because of too much loading on it- every type of material has a max load capacity per cu. in., multiplied by its length and depth, it's pretty darn strong. But, it would take a LOT for those floor joists to fail- wood is extremely strong, even when being loaded on that much by a large fabric collection. My floor hasn't failed, but I do want to use up my fabric collection. So, already working on it. The other good news is that I just went through some of my stash, and am finding some good stuff to use for some clients.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
Oh, dear. I never thought about that. Fortunately mine is on the ground floor, cement slab. If it caves in we are in trouble.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:13 PM

I guess Iam ok mine stash is in my spare bathroom hidden in the bath tub.