Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yearly maintenance on machine >

Yearly maintenance on machine

Yearly maintenance on machine

Old 10-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Since I use my machine a lot and know I don't get all the thread dust out it is important to maintain once a year.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 AM

Twenty years ago purchased a used Bernina for my then 12 year daughter. She has used it constantly. Once a year she takes it in for a check-up. One dealer told her that if she keeps doing that it will last forever!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Where can you find the small vacuums everyone uses?[/quote]

I use my regular vacuum with these attachments. On sale today at Nancy Notions for $6-99.
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...achment+kit.do
Old 10-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I have a bit of a different plan for my machine's maintenance. I bought a Bernina 440QE in 2007 and I opted for the extra 3 years (in addition to factory's one year) service maintenance agreement offered by the store where I purchased it. (This store is nearby and has an excellent reputation.) This year, when the 4 years was up, I renewed the SMA for another 3 years. I can bring the machine in as often as I want for a cleaning and checkup, and if anything does go wrong I will not have to pay anything. I clean and oil regularly, but I also drop the machine off every time we go out of town for a week or more (at least twice a year). I believe the 440 is a very reliable machine, but things can go wrong with any machine and with all the electronics in there it could very well be expensive to fix, so I plan on keeping my service agreement in effect. Part of the agreement is that the cost of the SMA won't increase, ever.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:17 AM

I get them serviced once a year just as preventive medicine. My machines need to be checked just like the owner to prevent any mishaps that may cost an arm and a leg. lol I do sometimes go a few months longer then a year but yearly none the less. Just my personal preference.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:46 AM

I haven't had much success having my Babylock's in for maintenance. I have called my dealer/service guy and asked when the best time is to bring them in. I haul them in, leave them and I never get the call that they are done. I go back in after I can't stand being without my machines for a while and find that he hasn't touched them. Last time he tried to give me someone else's machine. Went through this long description of what he'd done to it and what he'd fixed and I told him that wasn't a problem my machine was having and was he sure it was my machine he had. "Oh yes, this is your machine." When I turned the name tag tied onto the machine, surprise, it wasn't mine. Turned out he'd had my machine for a month and never touched it. It was still in warranty at that time and needed a new part. Was told the part would be free, but the labor to install it wouldn't be. He ordered the part and 10 months later, still hasn't called to say the part is in. Luckily my machine works without this part. I'm looking for another service center, but others are quite a drive away. GGRRRR.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:54 AM

i bought my 1100 about ten years ago second hand and the lady that owed her was a seamstress...it is still going strong after many years....i had it cleaned once by a local guy and when it came back one of my cards (THE ONE WITH ALL MY FAVORITE EMBROIDERY STICHES) didn`t work on it anymore....he blamed me of course but i knew it worked before...anyways i havent brought it back since...I just got a new Sapphire 875Q and chose Husqvarna again because i know how good thy are....i`m keeping my 1100 as back-up....
Originally Posted by quiltlady
Originally Posted by Pete
Is having yearly maintenance (tune-up, lube, and cleaning) really necessary?????
Some will think I'm crazy - but I am a heavy sewer -I own a computerized Husqvarna 1100 - which is now 22 years old - I have never had mine in to be looked at, that being said I likely now at it's middle age need to have it serviced as I have some automatic tension issues but I'm always able to just adjust it myself. I make sure I keep it free of lint and it overall runs great. This machine doesn't have to be oiled/lubed. A recent talk with a salesman told me it had gone off warranty at 20 years. (I don't recall anyone telling me it had a 20 year warranty when I bought it in Ottawa Canada new). Salesman said this was one of the best machines Husquvarna ever made and I agree with him.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 AM

I bought a Bernina 1090 in 1992. I just took it in for its first service, because it stopped stiching correctly. I figured the belt had stretched or dry-rotted. I clean and oil it regularly and change the needle when I hear that it needs it. Ifigure, if in ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 AM

Local sew and vac stores may have the little vacuum attachments. Also computer stores and some hardware stores (in the shop vac area).
Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by huntannette
i bought my 1100 about ten years ago second hand and the lady that owed her was a seamstress...it is still going strong after many years....i had it cleaned once by a local guy and when it came back one of my cards (THE ONE WITH ALL MY FAVORITE EMBROIDERY STICHES) didn`t work on it anymore....he blamed me of course but i knew it worked before...anyways i havent brought it back since...I just got a new Sapphire 875Q and chose Husqvarna again because i know how good thy are....i`m keeping my 1100 as back-up....
Originally Posted by quiltlady
Originally Posted by Pete
Is having yearly maintenance (tune-up, lube, and cleaning) really necessary?????
Some will think I'm crazy - but I am a heavy sewer -I own a computerized Husqvarna 1100 - which is now 22 years old - I have never had mine in to be looked at, that being said I likely now at it's middle age need to have it serviced as I have some automatic tension issues but I'm always able to just adjust it myself. I make sure I keep it free of lint and it overall runs great. This machine doesn't have to be oiled/lubed. A recent talk with a salesman told me it had gone off warranty at 20 years. (I don't recall anyone telling me it had a 20 year warranty when I bought it in Ottawa Canada new). Salesman said this was one of the best machines Husquvarna ever made and I agree with him.
my daughter has my 22 yr old 1100-it has never been in -never needed it-it also survived a house fire and froze-it was a feb fire-it is an awesome machine