Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines? >

Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines?

Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 AM

The ones I'll be keeping are Machine Quilting Unlimited, Quilter's Newsletter and the one that goes with my AQS membership. I'll probably still buy an occasional Quilter's World off the news stand.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

i'm cutting back on all paper that comes into the house. the mags are expensive so i can't bear to throw them away.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:32 PM

I only subscribe to a couple magazines and am not planning to continue, although I may purchase one or two a year at the local store. I wouldn't get rid of any I have since in the winter I often get them out and browse through them to find things I like and might decide to make. I could never use all the patterns I have now if I lived a hundred years!!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Our favorite LQS has a large basket in the store and anyone who cares to can donate their quilting magazines and of course we are welcome to take some too. Some visits we also throw in a good paperback read for the husbands who come and sit on her couch! I have cancelled all but Fons & Porter - so far.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I quit subscribing when I lost my job a couple years ago. Now I just get one, which is a gift from a friend. :)
Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM

I have cut back on subscriptions, now i buy at the store, IF there is at least 3 things in it that i really like and would make. So much free on line, i have a big stack allready printed out that i will probably never get too lol
Old 07-18-2011, 02:22 PM

Letting all go love them but times r getting tough so can't justify!!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:48 PM

I stopped all my quilting mags years ago and gave the mags to my daughter's co-worker who brought to her guild and everyone divided them up and I understand they rotate and pass them around. I'm glad they are being appreciated. I photocopied patterns I wanted and I have 3 large looseleaf binders filled. I'll never make a fraction of them but I do like to look at them from time to time. Same for my quilting books, which I really think I should put up for sale. There is so much available online for free that it doesn't make sense to me to pay for magazines anymore. As for non-quilting mags, I have a couple of subscriptions and my friend has subscriptions to different ones. We switch, then pass on to other friends. I may even stop those. Now that I'm retired, I will have more time to go to the library and read all the mags I want for free. As for fabric, I haven't bought fabric just because I like it in a very long time. I only buy if I need something specific.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 PM

i don't subscribe to any. i check them out at the store and if i see something interesting i buy it. one in the last year. there is so much free on line why throw money away.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 PM

I am also cutting back. I have years worth. I am pulling interesting articles and patterns and passing what is left on to some newbies I am teaching. They are loving it. I putting those I keeping into a couple of 3 ring binders.