Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines? >

Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines?

Are You cutting back your Quilt Mags & Paid Onlines?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 PM

I have never had a mag subscription to anything. I just subscribed to McCalls and I am thinking about Fons and porter but I will wait a bit and stagger out the start up dates so I am not renewing at the same time. I dont know we will see how much I like Mccalls. Like I said this is my first one I dont even buy mags at the store to expensive
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 PM
RDM

I've cut back on magazines but still get 3, just let 1 runout. I do go back to all my magazines for ideas, tutorials, and inspiration. I'll pull 10 to read before bed so hard to toss them out. I have cut my spending, I think long before I buy and usually it's for a project, not stash. It's nice coming home to find a new quilt magazine in the mail.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 AM

I stopped about a year ago.. just seemed like too much of the same . It was like they were just re- making same quilt patterns with newer fabrics.
Stopped Fons and Porter a few years ago ... it seemed like the magazine was a sales piece for there products and kits.
I do still buy books but it has to be something really original or inovative.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 AM

I cut down/out on all things quilty starting maybe 3 yrs ago.Let mag subscriptions run out (never missed them) & stopped buying specialty rulers etc.
Still buy fabric I can't resist, but even that has been cut waaay back.My tiny sewing room was about to go under :)

Still need to get rid of stacks of mags.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 AM

I let three subscriptions lapse this year, F and P, American Patchwork and quilting and McCalls, (sadly). But, as long as I can still get to Wally, I can pick up one when I want a particular mag. Mostly, they just don't warrant the price versus the content any more.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:02 AM

I have stopped my subscriptions just because I found that I really don't use them. I get them in the mail, take a look and that's the end of it. It's a waste. Now, I need to gather them all up and donate or sell them at our next guild rummage sale.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:03 AM

I did a spring cleaning and got rid of stacks of magazines - keeping only the patterns I really liked and plan to make. The magazines just sat there taking up space! Now that I've cleaned out, and stopped buying magazines, there's more space in my sewing room for ongoing projects and new fabric that I only buy when needed. I prefer now to focus on books where I could learn more history, a new technique, or have a reference material for patterns.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:04 AM

no more subscriptions. too expensive. but before i retired i had a subscription to the foundation piecer/quilts with style and i have every issue ever printed, saved by year in 3 ring binders. what a joy ! have quilters newsletter going back to the 70's so lots to choose from. the one i am tempted by is american quilter (AQS) but have resisted so far.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 AM

I am currently sorting out my sewing/quilt room and was shocked by the amount of quilt magazines and books that I have. I have now stopped buying the magazines and will make up a list of two or three books that I want which I will get at the Festival of Quilts in the UK when I fly over in August. I'm going to put the amount of money that I spent on magazines each month away and use it to buy things I really want for my sewing room. That's the plan anyway.
Linda in Ireland :-D
Old 07-19-2011, 03:49 AM

Well, I must confess.... I currently subscribe to:
Fons & Porter,
American Patchwork & Quilting,
The Quilt Life (a new birthday gift),
and of course
AQS American Quilter (because I am an AQS member)

These are are all hard copies that come through the mail... no online mags. I'm not sure which ones I will continue once the subscriptions run out.