Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are you going to the stores tonight/tomorrow for sales?

Blog Entries
    No Black Friday shopping for me....never have but maybe once or twice way back when kids were little. I was just looking at the Black Friday Fabric Specials on-line and don't even have the patience to look through 7 pages of deals on fabric.com. I'm still working on my huge stash, and don't know exactly what I really need, so I may just buy nothing. This has been an expensive year for me too, dog requiring knee surgery on 2nd knee, then rehab for that for 3 months, dental work for me, had to have part of my yard fenced in because of unruly neighbor dogs, and on and on it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    No Black Friday for me. I'm not ready to join the circus, even if some of the stores in our area are opening on Thanksgiving day
    I'm with you sandy l!!!! I'll probably go to my LQS one day next week but NO BLACK FRIDAY for me.

Easy question to answer. A resounding no.

we are just staying in the house for the next few days. we don't even want to be on the roads with the crazies driving from one store to another. we have plenty of food and toilet paper. and fabric, of course. so, we're good!

The only times I braved the crowds was when my mom asked me to shop for a specific toy or gift for her small GGD. Now I may go to Hancock's about 10 miles away sometime this morning, but that's all.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i wouldnt go to the stores if they paid me. i believe a holiday is a holiday and no one should work. so to go to the stores at midnight or 2:00 a.m. is craziness. there is nothing in the world i need to badly that i have to stand on line for hours to get. cant tell me whatever you're looking for you cant find after thanksgiving. not saying you won't pay more, but my time has to be worth something. so the answer is no. no black friday, cyber this, small business that.

Blog Entries
    No, no and no. We might go up the road a few miles to get a bag of oranges (BOGO). Maybe stop somewhere for lunch. That's it.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I agree with most I will not leave my house today is an excellent sewing day and whatever did happen to Christmas
    I to dislike the big mega stores I try to shop local as much as possible as they are the ones I want to see stay around

Nope, I do not get into the whole Black Friday insanity! I did buy a few items on Amazon's Black Friday deals, but, other than that, I will stay faaar away from the stores this weekend.

Power Poster
    No way...........I can't stand the crowds....I have my Christmas shopping done.....

While I am not a big fan of Black Friday, and would certainly not go out on this day, I do understand those that enjoy it, or have to get that one great sale item. I think last year, I literally did not shop Wal Mart the entire Christmas season. I think the one thing that really disheartens me, is opening up on Thanksgiving evening. I will not be giving any of those stores my money this year. Thanksgiving is meant for being home with your families and enjoying that time, not taking off to stand in line at a store. Small Business Saturday is also being done here, and I may venture out to support the local small business, but that will be about my extent of shopping this weekend. If we are not careful, they will be opening the stores on Christmas night next to get those after Christmas Sales going sooner. Its all about the $$$$ and for me its still all about family.
    Amythyst

Absolutely not!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ro View Post
    i wouldnt go to the stores if they paid me. i believe a holiday is a holiday and no one should work. so to go to the stores at midnight or 2:00 a.m. is craziness. there is nothing in the world i need to badly that i have to stand on line for hours to get. cant tell me whatever you're looking for you cant find after thanksgiving. not saying you won't pay more, but my time has to be worth something. so the answer is no. no black friday, cyber this, small business that.

The difficult thing is that so many people are already working. Anyone who works in a restaurant, hospital or convenience store will be working, as will a lot of grocery store staffs, help desk support and other call center workers, etc.

Also, Cyber Monday means sitting at home behind your computer and ordering online, and Small Business Saturday is a reminder to buy locally. It sounds like you might not have known that.

Your time is worth more to you than shopping, and there's nothing at all wrong with that - I stayed home today, too. Just remember that other people's time is worth more to them than cutting perfectly good fabric into little pieces and sewing them back together again. To each her own.

Black Friday Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    I've already scoped out what I want to get from Hancock's tomorrow morning... my first priority is a new wheelie case for my new sewing machine. The case I have is too big for it and I don't like how my machine flops about in it so I want to get a new, better fitting case... and I might want to get some black on black fabrics, maybe some white on whites if I'm able to get them... and maybe a few notions. I'm not sure what else is on my list... maybe a king sized batting?... Joann's didn't have the wheelie case I was looking for so this year, it's Hancock's for me

What quilty things are you guys going to wait in line for and/or arrive later and see if it's still available?
    I definitely am not going shopping Friday. I am leaving that to the younger more energetic people. I just want to stay home and sew.
    Lizzy in La.

Blog Entries
    Glad I'm not the only one staying home on Black Friday. I cannot stand the crowds.

Not me! I wouldn't go out into that mob if they paid me! I'm staying home moving a couple of bedrooms around and painting my dining room. I'll finish my shopping next week!

Power Poster
    First, I do not have any money to go out shopping this weekend, and I hate crowds, but I have a friend planning to go out at 8 PM Thurs. evening and shop until the next day, coming home only to drop off packages and go out again. Although one Thanksgiving, my husband and I went shopping for snowflake fabric to make a shower curtain and curtain for our daughter who was spending her first winter in Florida. We went all over the place and could not find what I wanted, so we go back home and my husband suggests the internet. Well, I went online to JoAnn's, found something I thought would work, called the store and they had the fabric. However, when we got to the store, the fabric wasn't what I wanted, but the clerk brought out this beautiful snowflake fabric with blue, white and silver snowflakes, so our daughter got her curtains and shower curtain. I also bought a set of white towels and sewed a strip of the fabric to the towels and put a border of blue soutache that was perfect. She loved it and then asked how I found towels to match. LOL She got it finally, but she loved the present and in the end it was worth the aggravation. Mom scores points!!!

I usually do not do Black Friday shopping because I do most of my shopping on-line. But today I was at Joann's at 7:00 for the flannel 75% off. I was crazy for backings for flannel quilts. At that price you cannot even buy muslin for backings. Had fun and never really had to deal with the crazy crowds in most of the other stores.

You couldn't pay me to go shopping today. Hope all you die hard shoppers stay safe in the madness.

One time when I worked for a book company went to work on black Fri. Got and education that day.
    Have not been to a store on black Fri. since and nearest JoAnne's is 25 miles away and others 40+ miles away, only AM is near here. Might shop on line, but no mad houses at store.

I meant WM is only store near here, live in boonies sort of. But love it and WM has great fabric selection, but have too much of that anyway.

Blog Entries
    I was in Michaels last night TG and bet there was maybe 10 people in there!
    We went to the mall at about 8:30 today and you thought it was a weekday not many there either so we got what we were after and was out there by 10!

No BF for me. Ds went to work at penny's at 5:30 this morning and is getting out in about an hour. Then we are heading up to have dinner with my family to celebrate my dm's birthday. Her birthday is the 27th but my sister from Del is planning on going back tomorrow so tonight it is.

Tomorrow I am going to a LQS to sew pillowcases so we will be supporting the small business tomorrow. She has batting at 25% off and I wanted to buy it from her than Joann's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
    I have shopped at Joanne 2 times on black Friday. I avoid all shopping until Monday or so, and then it is my day-to-day normal stuff (milk, bread, quick sewing stuff). I hate this time of year, so to me, this is a nuisance.
    I just do not understand the hype...for what? To fight crowds to save maybe a few cents? To me, not worth it.
    Please, move Christmas back to Christmas.
    I agree 100% with Bneighbor! I don't understand why retail stores have to open at Midnight on Thanksging night! Why can't we return to appreciating Family values! I work in a Mall and the customers that show up at that hour are usually young people that don't go to shop they just want a place to hang out with their friends. And what are you really benefiting from? So you save $100 bucks on a big screen tv that is a cheap model designed just to go on sale on black Friday only! Customers are pushy and very self-centered and don't care about the sales staff! Can you tell I just got home from my 5 am Black Friday shift? I stay as far away from the Mall on my days off!

I actually went to Hobby Lobby today around 3:30pm and it was not crowded. I got a few xmas things at half off and some fabric on sale. I enjoyed it!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast