Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you going to the stores tonight/tomorrow for sales?

Locally we are having "Support Your Local Business Saturday." I plan on going to our LQS and doing my share of shopping to help!

Blog Entries
    Well I did my shopping online this morning purely by accident! I went to ebay just to check a few things and they had the color Nook (refurbished) for $56! SO... I bought it thanks to y'all who bought things I recently had for sale on the QB! This is my gift to myself! I don't need all the new stuff they have, just want something a bit bigger than my phone and so I don't have to use the hubby's laptop all the time surfing QB! I do plan to go downtown this weekend to support my LQS and other small businesses.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! I am thankful for the website and all the friends I have made here!
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

I don't go out to shop this weekend. I will wait until next week during working hours.

I think for those who stand in line for Black Friday sales it isn't a greed thing, it's a fun thing! I've never done it, but I AM a couponer and getting the best deal on the thing I want is as much a game as a necessity. It feels good to save money -- it's "winning" at a hobby, plus it's a very social activity and yes, it has a positive impact on the bottom line.

All that said, I'll be staying home on Friday unless there's something I need, in which case I'll go at lunchtime when the campers have all gone home. I may go out for Small Business Saturday, but I would have done that anyway. Cyber Monday though -- now that's a tradition I can get behind!

Happy Thanksgiving!

When I was very young, in the late 50's early 60's - before there were very many shopping malls, we would get dressed up and go to the very large department stores in downtown Wichita or Seattle after Christmas. My mother would always buy net years cards and wrapping paper. My sisters and I would get nylons (they came in boxes then) and new slips and usually a new outfit. Depending on what was on sale and what we needed. But the nylons & slips were a very big deal.

My husband loves crowds so he liked going out on Black Friday - but this year he hasn't found a reason to go. Also he is a basketball official and has a scrimmage at 8 am on Friday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
    I have shopped at Joanne 2 times on black Friday. I avoid all shopping until Monday or so, and then it is my day-to-day normal stuff (milk, bread, quick sewing stuff). I hate this time of year, so to me, this is a nuisance.
    I just do not understand the hype...for what? To fight crowds to save maybe a few cents? To me, not worth it.
    Please, move Christmas back to Christmas.
    I agree totally. If they were giving things away, I would not go. It is madness out there and people get hurt in it.
    I will wait for anything I want.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I used to LOVE shopping on Black Friday but no more. I'm too old to fight the crowds or to wait in long lines. (And the parking lots are a whole other story!) My dear daughter and her adult daughter are already scoping out the sales flyers in preparation for Friday.

I worked in retail for 13 years..before the stores felt the need to open on Thanksgiving . People did not camp out for days either. I am not saying that people should not go shopping on Black Friday...no one here has admitted to be in a tent as they posted either, LOL!

Hey, it is fun to be in the crowds, spend time with friends and family hitting the stores, etc. i always enjoyed working Black Friday...the day went fast and the people watching was fun. Now...I dont like the parking situation and frankly, i dont have a list of gifts to buy. I plan on sewing the weekend away, heading to a craft show on Saturday and enjoying a stress free weekend.

So....enjoy the shopping or whatever you plan to do on Black Friday. Be safe!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
    Locally we are having "Support Your Local Business Saturday." I plan on going to our LQS and doing my share of shopping to help!
    I believe in this one too. I usually just walk around our tiny downtown and pick up a few things here and there to support small businesses. None of the stuff they have on those big sales - electronics, appliances, etc. - are things we need. I like the local craft sales and bazaars at churches and schools in our area on the first Sat. in Dec. It's fun, they have great homemade goodies, some lovely bargains. It's all about community to me. We only use the big boxes when necessary. Of course Country Treasures quilt shop is a mile from me in our little town, so I might just have to stop in on Saturday.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

No black friday for me!! I do not mind the crowds,I really enjoy the hussel and bussel of shoppers, Christmas carols, fresh snow, the smell of pine, hot chocolate, standing in line with grands to sit on Santa's lap is all good, but it seams that on Black Friday there is that one someone who always ruins it for everyone else. You all know who I'm talking about, that someone who has to push and shove to get to that great buy and doesn't mind who they shove ,elbow, or step on to get there, only to arrive and be mad because the add said limited quanitys, and they want 6 with only 5 left. Or how about that poor child who's parent pulls them out of bed too early so they cry and scream at the top of there lungs all the time they are being draged through the store! Do not even get me started about check out lines, LOL 15 registers and only 4 open!! Everyone compaining because the need to get to the next black friday sale! Nope no Black Friday for me! I'll wait a week or two then hit the stores when it's more fun! LOL

You could not pay me enough to go to a store tomorrow. lol I don't like to shop any time so I definitely won't be out tomorrow. The best part of Thanksgiving is the quiet Friday when I don't have to leave the house.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

No no no donot do black fridays. Way too many people and what i have seen the people are
    pretty rude with trying to be the first one to get in the store.
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

I was going to go to Joanns but then I realized I would only save about 12 cents a yard vs ordering online (flannel) because of the free shipping coupon. So I ordered my 16 yards tonight and saved 3 hours in the cutting line (that was last years time...I got there when the store opened. There was nearly no flannel left when I left- the charity groups buy hundreds upon hundreds of yards.)

I did notice online stock was very low already.

On Saturday I might go in to see what quilting fabric is on sale- I need some cheap stock builders, and some fabric to use for binding.

I have a friend who is going out tonight-- Thanksgiving night-- to start Black Friday shopping. She and her friend will be out all night long going from sale to sale. She has a ball doing it. NOT ME. I can't believe the greedy stores have backed up the Black Friday sales to Thanksgiving night! I would be more inclined to boycott a store that encroached on Thanksgiving. I hate the traffic snarls, fighting to find parking, tons of irritable people shopping, the stores just trashed and stuff strewn all about and the staff to busy to pick up the stuff off the floors... and then the lines to check out. I would much rather pay more money later to avoid all that. I can't think of a more unpleasant experience, but to each, his own...
    Our family is spending money on a vacation together at Christmas this year, so we aren't giving gifts. Hallelujah!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I bought some snuggle flannel online @ Joann's but thats all...I might go out just for a little bit later on tomorrow to eat ice cream and walk around the mall for fun...and if I find something awesome, if not I'm not worried, I love to shop but I won't get up that early for it haha...I wish they had more stuff in stock in the online stores so I could do all my shopping by the click of my finger...thats they way to go happy shopping.
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

Blog Entries
    The purpose of "Black Friday" is suppose to be when the stores stop losing money and making a profit. With that reasoning, why not run the sales over several days with plenty of inventory to fill the sales!! Not having 2-3 "cheap" items just to get you in the store. I know they think we're kinda stupid but we've caught on to the "oh, they will buy other regular price things" while they are in the store. Faulty reasoning to me. Who wants to fight crowds to buy 1 or 2 "cheap" items and then stays in store shopping for regular price items!!

A lot of the prices I'm seeing in ad flyers are not that much better than on any "regular sale day"!

Since our kids and grandkids live out of state, we have Thanksgiving together and then Christmas while they are here. Most years the passes has been really bad to travel, so we do it all in November and so my shopping is all done! My husband and I have Christmas(which is my birthday as well) and any of the kids that couldn't come in November. So no black fridays for me- I am all done by Thanksgiving.

Nope, I have to stretch my Christmas $$s as far as I can and shopping in big crowds and frenzy leads to impulse buying. I have to think and plan and haven't had time to do that yet.
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

Um, that would be a big, fat NO! I'd rather stay home and sew. However, DH & I will probably be cutting brush along the creek bed on our garden property.

I hate shopping on a normal day. Why would I want to go on Black Friday???

Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    I've already scoped out what I want to get from Hancock's tomorrow morning... my first priority is a new wheelie case for my new sewing machine. The case I have is too big for it and I don't like how my machine flops about in it so I want to get a new, better fitting case... and I might want to get some black on black fabrics, maybe some white on whites if I'm able to get them... and maybe a few notions. I'm not sure what else is on my list... maybe a king sized batting?... Joann's didn't have the wheelie case I was looking for so this year, it's Hancock's for me

What quilty things are you guys going to wait in line for and/or arrive later and see if it's still available?
    I've done most of my Christmas shopping. Friday will be to finish up a jacket decorated with yoyos.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Too dangerous for me, just had knnee replacement and over the summer the four neck back surgeries, for what, to get knocked down and save a few dollars.
    I am the queen of all bargains. Got my dh an $895 coat in macys in the begining of nov on sale for $325.00 thats with tax. I just kept asking for more discounts. Besides, im just about done shopping.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I've never shopped on Black Friday before. I don't like anxiety and that sounds like loads of anxiety to me. I will get my presents (few) before Christmas like always...taking my time and choosing what I want to give people, not what is on sale and what companies are pushing on us. I'm giving 5 quilts for Christmas so I don't have much shopping. And I'll choose quality when I shop. Something special for my special people. I love to look and find just the right thing, not what everyone else is buying.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I might see if one store has my running shoes in stock still when I get up at a normal hour. If they're out, no big dea. There will be other shoe sales.

As far as quilty stuff goes, I just bought a Baby Lock Crown Jewel that should be delivered next week, and with it I got $100 worth of goodies so I'm set for a little while at least. I now have just what I need to finish 6 crib quilts (for gifts) and a twin quilt for my 7yr old.

Blog Entries
    Well, it is 1:30 AM right now. We were in line at Target 5:30 PM and got our IPads when they opened at 9 PM. Then we grab a bit to eat and got in line at Kohls for a midnight opening. My daughter went to get what we needed and I got in the check out line. We were done and back in the car by 12:16 AM. My next stop is JoAnn's and Michaels, but that doesn't happen until Saturday.

Black Friday has always been a family tradition for us, but I hate the stores opening on Thanksgiving. That should be just pure family time.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Going to Jo Ann's. Fabric is 1.99! Notions and thread on sale too. Lots of coupons. Not going at midnight though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast