Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are You Intimidated by Your UFO's? >

Are You Intimidated by Your UFO's?

Are You Intimidated by Your UFO's?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:07 AM

I really don't consider my unfinished projects "UFOs". I never do the same quilt pattern twice so each quilt I start is to try something new or learn a different technique. I have given myself permission not to finish a project if I don't want to. I may get bored with it or simply just don't care for it when the top is done. I enjoy the piecing part of quilting far more than the sandwiching, quilting and binding. Quilting makes me happy and I'm not going to ruin that by stressing over unfinished projects. If I decide that I'm not happy working on something, I just put everything together to complete it and put it on a shelf. Sometimes, I will decide that the project isn't that bad and will pull it out and work on it. Or, it will sit there until I decide it needs to go away!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I really don't consider my unfinished projects "UFOs". I never do the same quilt pattern twice so each quilt I start is to try something new or learn a different technique. I have given myself permission not to finish a project if I don't want to. I may get bored with it or simply just don't care for it when the top is done. I enjoy the piecing part of quilting far more than the sandwiching, quilting and binding. Quilting makes me happy and I'm not going to ruin that by stressing over unfinished projects. If I decide that I'm not happy working on something, I just put everything together to complete it and put it on a shelf. Sometimes, I will decide that the project isn't that bad and will pull it out and work on it. Or, it will sit there until I decide it needs to go away!
This is exactly how I feel. You said it much better than I could have. I start new projects to pique my curiosity and to learn. The piecing process is enjoyable.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I am overwhelmed by mine, and yes - they are calling me (and some of the names and comments are not fit to be printed here). Late last year I decided to make myself finish some projects. I cannot do another new one until I finish at least one UFO. Them's the rules and so far so good. Most of mine are finished tops - for many I already have the backing, but I do not like to sandwich - so they linger. Heavy sigh!
This is my problem to. I hate to sandwich them. I keep using the excuse I need backing or batting but I have plenty. Right now I am on a guilt trip about so many UFO'S but it will pass. I am working on next Christmas and when I have time I will get to them.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:37 AM

Intimidated no, scare yes!!!!
I have one that's been waiting to be done for the last 20 years or more.
My daughter arrange the blocks and I sew it together, she pick out a fleece
backing, its yellow with ducks (what was she thinking ) the block are cats.
The first and last quilt I made was for our king size waterbed and it still on
the bed and that was like 25 years ago and showing its age.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:11 AM

My problem is I enjoy making the tops but don't like to layer and quilt and bind them. Cant afford to send them out to a longarmer. So I have lots of tops stacked up to finish.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 AM

I haven't bothered to count them but something tells me that when you have the largest Rubbermaid container full of completed tops and countless smaller bins full of blocks and cut "components" then you have quite a few UFO's. On the plus side, I did finish ten large quilts out of that bin (and it definitely is not empty) and have been moving some of my smaller bins along the road to a completed top. It's my fabric, my quilt projects and I don't intend to stress about them. I do plan to finish a bunch more, re-purpose some, gift some and abandon some. Quilting is my hobby and I thoroughly enjoy it. Many artists do not complete all of their sketches and paintings. Why are quilters so sure that every started project must be finished? I know you invested time and money but I'm sure you have also learned a lot on your quilt journey and maybe some started projects just aren't worth finishing for any number of reasons.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Nah, I just ignore them. After a day or so, they shut up
Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 AM

I don't consider my finished quilt tops UFO's. I used to hand quilt, not so much any more. I send them out to be LA quilted. My UFO's are all the kits I bought before I retired, 5 years ago, that are still waiting to be made, and several BOM's I started and never finished. I am almost finished with one of those BOM's now, and I am going to make one of those Queen size Kits next for my Granddaughter. Decided this is the year to get them done. My daughters can send the quilt tops out to be quilted, when I am gone but would not know how to finish one.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

NO ! Can't hear a peep out of them because I have them buried so deep in my closet!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Lori & Veronica....Stash as UFO? Perhaps it can be called an S2U like 'stash-to-use'?