Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift? >

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Old 05-28-2011, 04:46 AM

Oh boy, gave a custom quilted baby quilt to my FBF for her son's 2nd grandchild. She looked at it, said it was nice---and then she smelled it and said, "It doesn't smell."

Fast forward to her daughter's shower for her SECOND child---mind you, I am not close to the children at all, and when my nice gift was opened (maybe a cute outfit and a rattle or something)---FBF said, "oh, she is going to make her a quilt, too."

Child is over three and the top is partially done--I periodically get questioned about my progress--and was told it has to be at least twin sized.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:01 AM

I just got some great feedback on the quilts I made for my nephew's twins. His wife said the babies love their tummy time on these quilts. They rub their faces all over the minky backing. So much for the front that I put all the work into!
I've never given away an elaborate quilt that has not been appreciated. Mainly because I'm pretty new to quilting and have not made one yet.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:08 AM

You know, I've read the other posts and realized that the quilts I give fall into two categories--service quilts and gifts. I don't even know the recipients of the service quilts so no expectations there. They are freely given with the understanding that the recipient will probably be too old or too young to understand or care about the work involved. But the others, the quilts I give to people I know, go only to a select few and only to people I know will value and appreciate them. Thankfully, I've never had the experience of an unappreciative recipient but I'm pretty sure it would disappoint me.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 AM

I have to tell you about the quilt I made for my 10 year old GD. She is a Buckeyes fan like her mother, and had painted her bedroom in gray with red accents. So I asked her mother if GD would like a quilt in Buckeyes colors....got an excited YES. So we picked out a pattern and fabrics in red, gray, black and white and had the quilt finished in time for Christmas. GD opened the quilt and like most kids said thanks and moved on to the next gift. Her mother told her that gma made that in special for her in Buckeyes colors and then her eyes started to light up. Her mother also told her that it was most likely worth $$$. Then her eyes really lit up and she was afraid to put it on her bed. I had to chime in then and tell her that it was made to be used and would be fine on her bed. Big hugs from GD and it's been on her bed ever since....well, at least when she makes it! LOL
Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 AM

My DIL just came out and told me she doesn't like quilts she wasn't mean about and I appreicated the fact that way I didn't waste time,effort and money making one
did make a civil war quilt for my Son it was a Kit, he's a history nut he loved it, said he did,thought it would go in his room (man room) downstaries but its on a chest with stuff on top of it, saw a corner of it hanging down when I was visiting...in there bedroom
Old 05-28-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
This is absoutley why we have each other. We are the only ones who realy appreciate the hard work, the finanincing, and the love that goes into each and every stitched quilt.
That's the truth!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 AM

The only people I make things for that never...and I mean NEVER seem to have any of them displayed are my in laws. You would think they would be clever enough to get something that I made them out before I go to their house...but no, nothing! I stopped letting it bother me, they are inconsiderate people and nothing I do will ever change them.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:17 AM

I have in the past been offended by this but, I have learned that it is their loss and not mine if they do not use it. I have given baby quilts That I never see again and my GDs that just had to have one put it in a closet because they do not want to ruin them. I know that I made them with love and they were given in the right spirit so what they do with them is up to them because now it is theirs.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 AM

For the most part, I only make afghans or quilts for someone (family only at this point) after talking to them and finding out exactly what they want. No, it's not a surprise, but that way I know it will be used. I did make surprise afghans for my two grand kids, but I know they use them. I asked my son for the colors before I made them, and he told me that they use them all the time, especially this past winter when it was soooo cold and their house is rather drafty.

I asked my youngest son if he wanted a quilt. He informed me that no, he'd rather I make him another afghan like the one he wraps himself in every night. Only this time, he wants it to be out of thicker yarn, larger gauge hook, and bigger! :) Maybe some day he'll want a quilt, and when he is ready for it, it will be exactly what he wants.

DD wants a purple quilt for her room. I already made her a pillow, and have 24 squares for the quilt already done - it's going to be a disappearing 9-patch. Only 18 more squares to go before I cut them apart and figure out a pleasing arrangement! She will definitely be in on the process.

I guess with quilts I'm not going to go through the effort and expense of making one for someone unless I KNOW they want it. I suppose you could say that I'm making them to order. :)

(Side note - dh and I were talking about the king quilt I'm almost done with for our bed. We figured out that if we were to buy a similar one, it would cost in the neighborhood of $400 or so! *Gasp*! I didn't realize when I started that it would be worth so much! Wow.)
Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 AM

I have been offended more than once by giving gifts only to see them tossed aside without so much as a thank you for them. One SIL told me she'd rather have money as a gift so she could buy what she wanted. If you give her anything other than money it goes in a yard sale. She doesn't appreciate anything anyone gives her.