Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In your opinion!!! >

In your opinion!!!

In your opinion!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 AM

I sort mine on shelfs. Batiks, solids & blenders, nolvelty, farm related fabrics, by color, and by projects. The bottom shelf is for backing. I ruler fold all of my fabric. Then I have small totes with Fqs, 2 1/2" strips, 10" & 5"squares, 1/2 yards, and a tote just for cut up shirts, and a large scrap bin. I love being able to find everything at a glance. I spend less time looking for the fabric I want and I go shopping in my stash before I buy any more.

Organize your fabric to fit your space and needs. What works for me, might drive someone else crazy.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 AM

I have a large dining room china hutch- but no china. It is currently filled with fabric, as are 2 bookcases. I am semi-organized by category- Oriental, Aussie/NZ, Novelty, 30's, Spots and Dots, "Architextural" (bricks, woodgrain, rocks), Solids and Marbles, Floral, Holiday, Patriotic, Beachy, Mary Engelbreit, Kaffe, Misc. I can Usually find what I'm looking for. I do have some fabrics in bins- mostly the deconstructed mens shirts and Christmas. Having a garage sale this weekend, but the fabric stays!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:15 AM

How do you approach your stash when you are looking for something to finish a project? Do you look for size, color, pattern, etc? Organize you fabric by the way you look through it when you need something!
Good luck!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 AM

Mine are mostly by color but also by type such as batiks are all together. Certain collections stay together because they came that way and there is a section for kids that is various colors. It is up to you to decide. The thing is to fold everything the same way so it is uniform and you can see it.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 AM

I organize by light, medium, and dark. If I have a "family" of fabric that I got for a specific reason I organize them together all in the cube shelving to keep things simple without overloading a larger shelf bookcase.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie View Post
Mine are organized by:
1) Project complete with pattern
2) Color - solids
3) Color - prints
4) fabric stash to sell
And those are on racks attached to the wall like you used to see at some Walmarts ( We bought some when they were remodeling a couple of years ago.
THEN
I have a chest of plastic drawers with smaller pieces according to color
THEN
I have tiny pieces in open plastic bags according to color.

I also have projects I am working on each in their own plastic 12" x 12" box with pattern.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
Very much like my system
Old 09-13-2012, 07:17 AM

First by color.
Odd prints without a predominate color or with a scene of somekind I keep separate.
Flannels, Holiday prints, animals, batiks, backgrounds, child fabrics, and backings are separate.
They are in clear bins on metal shelves, the cheapest way I could go.
I keep half yd cuts in a bin by themselves and fat quarters are in baskets by color.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 AM

I do it a couple combined different ways....I keep all my 'special' fabrics together, like Halloween, Christmas, velvet and satins....they all have their own Labeled boxes. Then when I was organizing my stash any fabric over a yard was wrapped on cardbaord, and stored on a shelf, for possible backing use. Before I wrapped I rough measured and put a post-it at the end of the wrap with the yardage amount, and any other notes I though was pertant like washed, should be washed, has flaws.... the rest of my stash is the folded and put into clear drawers by color, and some times theme, like grapes, sports, cars, etc.....after that I sort and package all my scraps by color......
I think something to keep in mind is one only method does not always work.....but a combination, and don't be discouraged if you are redoing again in 6 months as it is all a learning curve on works for you and how you work and sew.....No rights or wrongs in quilting.....just a life time of learning and getting just a little bit better every day....
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM

I am in the process of moving and will be re-organizing my sewing room in a couple of months. However, I HAD my fabric organized by color. Large cuts were on the large plastic organizer cards and stored upright on open book shelves according to color. Fat Quarters and other similarly sized pieces were stored on the smaller plastic cards and sorted by color in clear plastic stacking boxes in an armoire. Then I have two rolling drawer sets (3 drawers in each) for scraps....also sorted by color: RedsPinks, Blues/Purples, Greens/Browns, Oranges/Yellows, White, Black. I am not a follower of designers so the color sorting is by far the easiest for me. I also store short-term specific projects in pizza boxes just to keep the instructions/fabric together. The KISS Method: Keep It Simple, Stupid ....is my motto.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 AM

Color Color Color! then things like Batiks, and If you have something like say a FAV such as for ME I Love Paisleys So I Put All of Them in One PLACE! Also Fabrics such as All the KIDs Stuff ONE Place, The Bugs One Place ETE .... Then I Put a Label ON the Front Of My Clear Plastic Drawers AS to Whats IN this Drawer!. I don't use Folding boards they take space! I just fold!

Last edited by icon17; 09-13-2012 at 07:42 AM.