Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In your opinion!!! >

In your opinion!!!

In your opinion!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Jim

As long as its at my address I'm happy...lol seriously...by color, seasonal, novelty, type of fabric (such as flannel or cottonn) and project...I put projects in containers with the pattern planned so its already a kit when I get around to it
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 AM

I sort by colors on most of my fabrics. Then I have bins for Christmas; Halloween; cowboys, Indians & western; oriental; novelty;laurel burch; Elvis; flannels; batiks; and kids prints. Finished quilt tops are in a bin; UFOs are in a couple of drawers; planned projects are kept together as I get the items needed.

Glad to hear you finally got to move. Enjoy your new home.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 AM

I have my stash in metal bins in my sewing room closet. I sort my fabric according to color. This way when I need red fabric, just pull the bin out and there is all my red fabric... I have childrens fabrics in a separate bin. There is space between the bins and I have my solids stacked here. And I also stack fabric for the quiilts I am going to do next while I am colllecting the fabric, along with the pattern. The main thing to remember to prewash all fabrics, store in a place where the fabric can breath, never in plastic bins, and away from direct light to prevent fading. Easy access helps when you are pulling fabrics for a quilt, for this reason drawers (dresser, chest) are not usually an idea storage area.
Good luck, and have fun setting up your sewing room. The sooner you get it done, the sooner you can get started on that next quilt.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 AM

Everyone does it differently. When we moved into our new house a few years ago, I got the "media room" (Family room) and it didn't have a closet. So on one wall I put the computer with bookcases on each side and a shelf across the top of the bookcases. I went to JC Penney's catalog in the bathroom section and order two white cabinets. One with two drawers on the bottom and 3 shelves. The other had shelves only but with some dividers. Both with doors to keep out the sun. Then I sorted my stash by color if they were misc. My Thimbleberries got sorted by color and put in plastic shoeboxes with no lids. The others were also put in shoeboxes and then if I need some blues I just pull out the shoebox with blues it it. So basically cabinets with shelves with doors with plastic shoeboxes sorted by color.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:27 AM

Well, I don't know if this is a repeat, or just weird, but its worked for me. I have bins for individual projects, and have others divided into orientals, large pieces (backings), solids, blenders, & ,then,color groups. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 PM

I think whatever is right for you is right! I color coordinate mine except for polka dots which I put altogether in one spot. Have fun.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 PM

I also have my stash in 2 five shelf bookcases & I sort them alphabetically by color with the exception of kid prints, Christmas, holiday & floral. On the bottom shelves are my 3-ring binders with patterns & books. My scraps are kept in plastic bags by color within 2 plastic tubs so if I need a scrap of a certain color I can go to that bin & pull out the bag with the color I want. I'm a very organized person so it helps. As they say (whoever they are) "Organized people are just too lazy to get up & look for it". Being organized does cut down on the time spent looking for a particular color. Have fun.
Mary C
Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

It's cool to see how everyone organizes their fabrics. I do mine totally different from everyone else. I'm not going to say how because it would take too long. But I enjoyed reading all of these. Gives me some ideas. Might change my method some.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
It's cool to see how everyone organizes their fabrics. I do mine totally different from everyone else. I'm not going to say how because it would take too long. But I enjoyed reading all of these. Gives me some ideas. Might change my method some.
Now, do you *really* think you're going to get away that, popping in here and tantalizing us with such a comment? ROTFLOL!! Come on, 'fess up, we ALL learn from you!

Jan in VA
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM

Since I'm an up-cycler to an extent, I organize by fabric type--woolens, denims, flannels, dress shirting, homespun, 100% cotton, cotton/poly blends, etc. Within those categories I sort by amounts--scraps, quarters, yardage.