Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In your opinion!!! >

In your opinion!!!

In your opinion!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 AM

I organize by color and then within the color try to keep polka dots, stripes, floral, etc. together. Of course, it stays this way for a very short time because I love scrappy quilts and applique quilts so I may pull 100 fabrics for one project and it may take me weeks (or months) to get them all back where they belong. However remember what works for me may not work at all for you.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 AM

I have three big floor-to-ceiling cabinets in my sewing room and I use opaque plastic bins for my fabric storage. I sort by color mostly, with one or two colors per bin. Because the bins are opaque, I can easily see what color is inside. If I put two colors in one bin, I try to keep them related, like browns & oranges for instance, or reds & pinks. Next I have separate bins for novelties, Christmas fabrics, and patriotic fabrics. Lastly I use smaller bins to hold fabric "sets", like if I buy several coordinating fabrics with a specific quilt in mind and want to keep them all together until I can work on that one. I also have smaller bins full of charm squares from the exchange at our quilt guild, orphan blocks, and scraps. If I want blue fabric, it's simple to open the cabinet and pull out the blue bin, or if I want kitten fabric I pull out the novelties bin. This system works well for me, but mainly because I have plenty of storage space.

Good luck on your organization, whatever method you choose.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 AM

I have mine by color. The designer doesn't matter that much to me, but I can go to a color pile easier.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM

What part of Texas? I will be spending Christmas holiday in San Antonio. I love to play in fabric but you probably don't want to wait that long.
I love all the methods for storage! I do place muslin or a pillow case in the bottom of plastic storage boxes to protect the fabrics stored in them. Fabrics assembled for a specific quilt go into those with the pattern. Unfortunately, I'm gathering quite a collection of storage boxes with quilts inside waiting for my undivided attention. (Sigh). We won't discuss the drawers full of color coordinated remnants from past quilts.

Originally Posted by vondae View Post
Thanks to each of you who have chimed in with your opinion. It has been enlightening to read each one. It seems color coordinating is the way most do it. Which was the way I had planned to do it. Sorting out the christmas, flannel, etc. I would love to see some "pictures" if anyone wants to take the time to share with me.
For those of you who wrap your fabrics on the comic boards or foam boards, what do you use to fasten them on? I'm assuming straight pins are probably not a good thing.
Can you tell I'm clueless? I'm needing a lot of help. Anyone want to come and give me a hand? HaHa!!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
I organize by color and then within the color try to keep polka dots, stripes, floral, etc. together. Of course, it stays this way for a very short time because I love scrappy quilts and applique quilts so I may pull 100 fabrics for one project and it may take me weeks (or months) to get them all back where they belong. However remember what works for me may not work at all for you.
Good to know I'm not alone in this! I started the cutest woodland critters quilt and I keep digging through the stash for just the right bear, or frog, or bird material. The box for the quilt is out of control, as the pieces are fairly large and I just need a few inches. Then there's the fat quarters I've purchased because I don't have "that" shade of brown fur! I need to put them back in the stash drawers as I use them since I don't want to use them more than once, but that would just be too organized!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Mine is wound on 3 sizes of comic boards and really large pieces are flat folded. I do not arrange anything according to color. I have several large wardrobe closets with shelves, and can stash my stash 2-3 deep. I can see all of it so I don't have to sort according to color. Do whatever works best for you. Everyone's stash is personal and it is good if you can see most if not all of it. Good luck.
Sue
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM

I have my fabric on comic book boards..but my biggest time saver was to pin a small piece of paper on each piece telling me if it's 1 yd., or 3...that way I can easily tell if a piece is too small for a project, or even too large, (and I might want to save it for backing)...other than that..it's just put on shelves in no particular order, because for me...I constantly surprise myself at different colors that work together(or don't)..and I don't think I could be as creative if all of my blues were lined up next to each other...I need to see each color alone, and it's easier for me if they are mixed on the shelf...just do what works for you...you know yourself best...if you need absolute order, or a little "disorder"..good luck!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 PM

And to answer your question...I do use straight pins to fasten my fabric...they are cheap and hold well..I've seen others use those plastic coated paper clips, and even safety pins!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM

I also sort by color and theme, but I also put fabrics that I've purchased together for a project into a zip lock bag, so I don't accidentally use part of it for another project.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by vondae View Post
For those of you who wrap your fabrics on the comic boards or foam boards, what do you use to fasten them on? I'm assuming straight pins are probably not a good thing.
Can you tell I'm clueless? I'm needing a lot of help. Anyone want to come and give me a hand? HaHa!!
You aren't clueless. I am glad you asked these questions! I'm going to organize my stash in the near future and am interested in everyone's replies also! Good luck to you (and to me). I'm not looking forward to all that work, but will be glad once it's all done.