Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
~ Fun and Funky  Winter Holidays Block Swap ... Sign up Closed >

~ Fun and Funky Winter Holidays Block Swap ... Sign up Closed

~ Fun and Funky Winter Holidays Block Swap ... Sign up Closed

Old 07-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Robert's at work right now, but he told me to tell everyone thanks! :)

He bought the embroidery machine for me for my birthday back in May. It's a Brother SE-400 from Walmart, less than $400. We both LOVE it! :mrgreen: (I think he just wanted my birthday present! ha ha) The only downside is that it can only do 4" square or smaller patterns, but since we mostly use the embroidery for quilt blocks, we haven't felt too limited. Love the computer (USB) connection! That was one of the main things I wanted. The machine can do regular sewing as well, and has oodles of different stitches.

I ordered a bunch of embroidery thread and some stabilizer from ThreadArt, and have had very few problems with puckering. The stabilizer says "regular tearaway", and it came in a package of 8x8" precut pieces. Very handy, and not terribly expensive. :) We've found that we also can use a coffee filter (or two stacked up), and they work well.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Fancy Fabric, anytime you have puckers in your embroidery you need to back your fabric with interfacing. If if is really dense or large sometime 2 pieces are needed under the fabric. When you are not sure of yourself always do a sample. Try it and you will like the results. Took me a lot of trials and errors and sometimes I still do not like what I do. Therefore the sample.
I have a friend who saves all her samples. She uses bolts of white fabric for all samples and cuts to one size. If she needs larger, no problem. Eventually she gets these samples made into a quilt. I never thought about doing that until I met her. Good idea.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Fancy, I said interfacing but meant stablizer and teal away or water type is terrific. By the way I have used interfacingm, depending on size, stitch quality, and density of the pattern.

Moonrise, I think it is wonderful you and Robert are interacting together with your embroidery. Is he quilting with you as well.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:14 PM

Luv2Sew, I keep going back to see your SC block. I don't care for paper piecing but your block has about convinced me to go for it one more time. So glad now that I have the pattern..
Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by BarbM32

Moonrise, I think it is wonderful you and Robert are interacting together with your embroidery. Is he quilting with you as well.
He helps me load the quilt onto the frame when I go to quilt it, helps choose fabric colors, and helps cut pieces sometimes, but other than embroidery (he finds the machine fascinating :lol: ), he doesn't really enjoy the actual sewing or piecing process. It's fun spending time with him though, and I really appreciate his help. :thumbup:
Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by BarbM32
Luv2Sew, I keep going back to see your SC block. I don't care for paper piecing but your block has about convinced me to go for it one more time. So glad now that I have the pattern..
Its time consuming but I think I'm going to make them, I made a pom pom for his hat and I think its just adorable...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233197.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 AM

While I personally do not care for the red stripe border the rest of the SC block is perfect. I love the red hat fabric and the green background, just terrific. Now what could you swap the stripe for to make the face stand out and not the red border.....I just have to get my school quilts done and Paul's, THomas the Train finished so I can get into this Christmas swap.
Question ladies??? Would anyone like for me to make up a set of the 12 patch Christmas blocks(12"X12") or that windmill block, 1 block by 3 blocks sewed together measures 3x9" plus seams. You all know either of these are great filler blocks and if so what size. Could do a set each of both blocks.
Well Red, I made up my mind I am going to do something. Just can't sit , read, look at the pretty blocks and do nothing.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:42 AM

I am going to try a couple of new techniques and then I will let you know, 1. a "printed" center, pieced block 2. a "paintstick" rubbed design block
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 AM

Love the santa. He is cute.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 AM

santa is a cutie!