Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
~ Fun and Funky  Winter Holidays Block Swap ... Sign up Closed >

~ Fun and Funky Winter Holidays Block Swap ... Sign up Closed

~ Fun and Funky Winter Holidays Block Swap ... Sign up Closed

Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 AM

As a longarm quilter, when the top has lots of embelishments, it limits the design or we have to take them off and put back on. Also, if they are very expensive or special designs, they can get broke if a needle hits them.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

I hear one vote for no. Anyone else? I personally think it makes it hard to regular machine quilt too.

Maybe we can include the embelishments on the side in a little baggie pinned to it? That is what I plan on doing with my beads for the halloween swap on my cupcakes. Anyone else have any thoughts about embellishments?

As you figure out what you will be making, please let me know so I can post it to the activity list. That way people will see what everyone is making and maybe choose something diffrent.

Most people won't be making them the same anyway. But, just so we can see how many of what is going on. OK?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:02 PM

I agree to keep block clean of embellishments some people might make a table runner and if your family eAts like mine it needs to e washable I love the idea of attaching a baggie and letting the new owner make the choice.

If we do a pieces block is it ok to use winter colors but had a block pattern that is not "a winter block" (i.e. If
I did a star in metallic white and blue?)
Old 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM

When it says winter holiday is it all winter holidays? Xmas hanukkah kwanza Chinese new year etc ?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

It sure would make it hard on me to try and figure out who would want what that way. Wouldn't it?
We all talked about a Winter/christmas swap but the admin asked me to open it up and make it generic. Which I am happy to do. But, I am thinking a wintery american type holiday blocks. Does anyone take offence to that? Please tell me what you are thinking! I did the halloween and wanted to keep it american winter type holidays. But??? I sure don't want to get sideways with anyone. You kind of are putting me on the spot.
You have to understand the hostess isn't given any special treatment or payment. I have the time and I just do all of the work so you swappers can have some fun! Admittedly, I get to have fun too! And, some kind swappers send me little gifts for hosting which I adore and treasure as something special!

Please comment everyone...
Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM

I would be happy with any of the "blocks" suggested, ie" hannuka, kwanza etc, ( I think they would make a very interesting quilt lol) me personally I am planning on reindeers and elves
Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 AM

I hope my question didn't cause too much stress I was looking at fabric and just wondered which I should go with

I can't wait to see hat happens with the Halloween blocks and can't wait to figure out my winter blocks
Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 AM

i'm not sure what a winter american swap would be - if you don't want religious tones then santa would be out along with elves and christmas trees.

i don't care either way but if i have to choose i vote no religion instead of including all of them.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:38 AM

embellishments are best left off in my opinion and left for the final quilt maker to decide if he/she wants them or not.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:51 AM

If there are to be no embellishments does that include small beads? I think they add a lot to a quilt! Just askin'!!!