Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2011 Row Robin - Group 11 - Making Friends Row by Row >

2011 Row Robin - Group 11 - Making Friends Row by Row

2011 Row Robin - Group 11 - Making Friends Row by Row

Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
My husband even liked this block; and he never says anything. Lara - share your second block when you get a chance. It helps me plan what I am going to do for your row. :)
Well, my second block is just like my first so there isn't much to see there. They are going to go on either end of my row. Now that I have the hang of the spiderweb block, I'm going to change it up! I should have something more to post in the next day or two...
Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 AM

Theresa, that block is beautiful. You're giving the rest of us a lot to live up to. I love to see what we're going to be working on.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Thank you Judy and Lara. Well...tonight I made what I was hoping was going to be one of the blocks that would be placed on either side of my first. BUT... This is where my rookieness (is that even a word?) shows up. The directions were missing an important step in cutting. The link is quilterscache.com/D/DiamondStarBlock. Anyway - after futzing and recutting and ripping out and recutting. I ran out of the pink material. AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH! I used another color - just so I could finish the block. I'll try again with different fabrics tomorrow. Is there anyway to catch these types of errors early> or is experience the only thing that going to help me?? Besides - looking at the block - the points are off.

Practice diamond Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158514[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158509.jpe  
Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Theresa, I think as you get more experienced, you'll be able to look at a lot of blocks and figure out what you need to cut to make them. I almost never follow the cutting instructions on quilterscache blocks. In looking at the block you made, which is a beautiful block by the way, you know you need to make 12 3-1/2" half square triangles. Make them whatever way is easiest for you. I would make them by cutting each of the two fabrics into an 8 x 12 rectangle and marking it into 4" squares, then drawing diagonal lines on the back of the light fabric, stitch 1/4" on each side of the diagonal lines, cut them apart on the drawn lines and square them up. I find that a lot easier than cutting a strip, cutting the strip into squares and then sewing each one. Everyone has their own favorite way of doing things.

You're doing a great job, so don't let a little mishap get your down.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:04 AM

Thanks Judy. I did think it might be easier to start out a bit bigger and cut it off. The issue I kept running into was the resulting rectangle was too short.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM

Thanks Judy. I did think it might be easier to start out a bit bigger and cut it off. The issue I kept running into was the resulting rectangle was too short.
I'm not sure what you mean by "the resulting rectangle was too short." Are you talking about the rectangle that's created when two of the half-square triangles go together? If you're making 3-1/2" half-square triangle blocks, they should be the right size. Or maybe you mean when you're using the cutting instructions from quilterscache the rectangles that you use to make the half-square triangles are short???
Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Kehoeta: you had me so scared with that peacock feather square. Mine will just be simple blocks everyone. I am really a newbie and am still experimenting. Not so much scared now but ohhhh I am nervous.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44 PM

I mean when I have a rectangle - lets say the print. and I need to put the pink on either end as a triangle - the instructions tell you to draw a line midpoint of the pink square - sew on it - then cut off the excess seam allowance. You end up with a bigger rectangle with pink triangles on each end. Looking at my practice piece. The print and blue triangles are easier to see.

Judy - rereading your post. maybe that is why I am so screwed up. The instructions didn't require 12 3.5 blocks. They actually have you make 4 of the pieces as if they are one unit. A rectangle. then - the rest are blocks. DOH!!! It would have been so much easier just to create 12 3.5 blocks. The 4 pieces that touch in the middle are rectangles. Not blocks.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Boop56
Kehoeta: you had me so scared with that peacock feather square. Mine will just be simple blocks everyone. I am really a newbie and am still experimenting. Not so much scared now but ohhhh I am nervous.

Boop - I am also experimenting. When you get my peacock square - you will see that it isn't all that. Guess why there are two borders around the middle.....that's right. So the block will be big enough. LOL
Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 PM

I mean when I have a rectangle - lets say the print. and I need to put the pink on either end as a triangle - the instructions tell you to draw a line midpoint of the pink square - sew on it - then cut off the excess seam allowance. You end up with a bigger rectangle with pink triangles on each end. Looking at my practice piece. The print and blue triangles are easier to see.

Judy - rereading your post. maybe that is why I am so screwed up. The instructions didn't require 12 3.5 blocks. They actually have you make 4 of the pieces as if they are one unit. A rectangle. then - the rest are blocks. DOH!!! It would have been so much easier just to create 12 3.5 blocks. The 4 pieces that touch in the middle are rectangles. Not blocks.
Okay, I see what you mean now. I was thinking those were two half-square triangles sewn together, but they're a rectangle with a piece sewn at each end. AAAAAHH. I have had trouble with those also and found that when you sew the line on the back of the square you are sewing to the rectangle you need to be just a touch toward the corner and not exactly on the line. I put the area of my foot by the needle just on the inside edge of the line so that my seam is about a thread's width inside that line (towards the corner) and that gives enough room for the seam and doesn't make the rectangle smaller. You particularly have to make sure with quilterscache blocks that you are using a scant 1/4" seam and not a full 1/4" seam. I have two 1/4" feet for my machine. One makes a "scant" seam and the other a "full" seam. It's nuts how much difference the width of a piece of thread can make.